Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
In an alternative history, two mechanical beings have created a mechanized Hell on Earth, transforming the people of Whitechapel, England into half-human/half-mechanical monsters, those who catch the disease known as the "clacks". Tyrannical to a fault, these two beings ["Mama Engine" and "Grandfather Clock"] have raised a wall around the city and shut the world out, working on the Great Work, whatever mysterious project that turns out to be. A band of rebels fights back and it seems as though one of them may have found a way to destroy these beings, these Gods of Whitechapel.

Except they've fallen below the city, to the old roads of the past, probably dead and the agents of the Gods are after the prize! Now it's a race to the finish and whoever wins may save or end the rest of the world as we know it.

~~~~~~~~~~~​

All in all, Peters wrote a great story. The environment and the plot was pretty deep, but the ending was slightly disappointing. Also, I realized toward the middle of the book that most of my visions of what the characters looked like was based on what they said and did, not what the author told me they looked like... Why, you ask?

Well, Peters didn't seem to go into great description of any of the characters. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but it struck me as odd.

There were a few parts that were hard to follow, but that was because there were so many characters, all with secrets of their own and all playing to their own motives. It was really surreal, seeing so many people constantly betraying one another. Life in Whitechapel was cutthroat!

I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys England-based stories and crazy plots, but like I warned you, the ending was a little bit of a let down. It just didn't have as much action as you'd think there would have been...

But you'd have to read it to understand what I mean :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.