Need AMD Motherboard

Rad

Reaction score
Things to look for on your motherboard:

Socket of processor (Athlon X2 and most others use socket AM2, older ones use 939, and the newest ones can use AM2+ but I don't know about that)
Type of ram (184-pin or 200-pin, and speed)
PCI-E or AGP, I'm sure you want PCI-E, what about SLI ready

For the ram, the number of pins must match but the speed can be lower than the suggested speed. But if you add faster ram in the future it will be set to the lower speed of the previous ram.

Here are what I think are the most common for a PCI-E, AM2, DDR2 240-pin motherboard:

Power Search Results

Hope that works. With mid-tower cases most motherboards are designed to fit.

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Also, atm Intel is just better :D . Atleast, that's my oppinion.

But the coolest Mainboard there is is the nForce 7, but it also is quite expensive.

Reaction score
Yeah, Do you guys know anything about what the voltage stuff means on soem of the items? Like the RAM says 1.8V-2.5V and the CPU says 0.85V – 1.5V

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Yeah, Do you guys know anything about what the voltage stuff means on soem of the items? Like the RAM says 1.8V-2.5V and the CPU says 0.85V – 1.5V

DDR2 is 1.8V and up. The lower the better for your power bill. Running lower latencies or overclocking requires higher voltage. Check your other "I want a new computer" threads, I've already given the details on the subject.

Can't you just buy a Dell rather than starting a new thread on the same topic at least once a week. :rolleyes:

Rad

Reaction score
Just an FYI, do not skimp on your PSU.

Good PSU List

I'm running an $18 400watt rosewill PSU and it does its job great. There is absolutely no need to overclock so I don't see why it would matter. Although everyone suggests that, I don't go by it.

And were you going to go AMD or Intel?

Intel has better top of the line cores but if your on a budget AMD has quite strong cores at less cost. Until you go past the X2 6000+. Most of the "intel/amd is better" is just totally biased though, just look at the specs... If you buy an AMD they specifically list on the box that "core performance is not based on clock rate".

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
>"core performance is not based on clock rate".
Not sure what that means, I think AMDs best cores are the 5000+ BE and the FX Series.

Rad

Reaction score
With any intel chip they will be "2.66ghz", and an AMD chip can be just as powerful and rank the same benchmark score with 2.0ghz.

Not saying its like that for every chip, but you should look at the other specs of the core too.

Rad

Reaction score
So you're going to overclock I assume, you could upgrade your processor two levels for $20 to the E6750.

If you aren't going to overclock you won't need the thermal paste, CPU's come with that already... unless you get OEM. Of course, when you buy it separately its much better quality but heat doesn't slow down your processor.

Personally, I would get a cheaper case and spend it on hardware that actually matters. Unless you plan to show it off which of course is always fun to do.

Reaction score
I was thinking about this fan:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Reviews show its the best 775 fan/heatsink.

With the fan in my cart the total is $517, I have about $30 more i want to spend if there is anything else I need. I already have a 200GB 7200RPM SATA HD.

Also, what about the USB and Audio jacks on the front of the case? Does it come with wires I can just put into my motherboard?

Rad

Reaction score
Any HSF with copper heat tubes will be much better than stock.
and yes, it comes with the cables for your jacks.

But answer the question: Do you want to overclock?

It seems like you do, but you should know that the CPU already comes with a decent fan and thermal paste it will keep itself cool. You'll probrably still be able to overclock it some.

CPU's are very powerful now, you don't need to overclock. to see great performance. The small amount you do gain from overclocking probably won't be enough to spend the extra cash on.

Rad

Reaction score
I'm not an overclocking expert, but I'm sure you'll get some overclocking with stock HSF, a bit more if you buy the third party stuff.

If you read somewhere that someone was able to get it up that 800mhz with that specific fan and thermal paste then go for it. You will also need good airflow throughout the case, you can only push out so much hot air until the entire case is hot.

Liquid cooling is a much better solution, although its much more expensive too. But your spending $90 on a case... whats more important? You can definitely get a good case for the money spent on the HSF.

Your outcome will vary, its only an extra $30-40 to get the third party stuff its not much to make a big deal over.

When you overclock you also greatly reduce the lifespan of your CPU... And if something goes wrong most warranties won't cover Overclocking. Look at some statistics.

What games are you overclocking for?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.