Sci/Tech New 25 GPU Monster Devours Passwords In Seconds

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
There needs to be some kind of Moore’s law analog to capture the tremendous advances in the speed of password cracking operations. Just within the last five years, there’s been an explosion in innovation in this ancient art, as researchers have realized that they can harness specialized silicon and cloud based computing pools to quickly and efficiently break passwords.

A presentation at the Passwords^12 Conference in Oslo, Norway (slides available here - PDF), has moved the goalposts, again. Speaking on Monday, researcher Jeremi Gosney (a.k.a epixoip) demonstrated a rig that leveraged the Open Computing Language (OpenCL) framework and a technology known as Virtual OpenCL (VCL) to run the HashCat password cracking program across a cluster of five, 4U servers equipped with 25 AMD Radeon GPUs and communicating at 10 Gbps over Infiniband switched fabric.

Gosney’s system elevates password cracking to the next level, and effectively renders even the strongest passwords protected with weaker encryption algorithms, like Microsoft’s LM and NTLM, obsolete.

Read more here.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the reason i dont use passwords at all.
Important stuff is not on my computer but on remote hard disks.
I dont mind even if my entire disk is cleared by a hacker or a virus, i just reinstall everything.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
What's your password to this account?

Varine

Reaction score
What happens when you erase your disk and can't log back into your email to recover your password to everything?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I make another email address and send a mail to thehelper and tell him what happened probably.

Or i just make another account. I dont know, i dont care.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have Asperger's.
I think you are the one whos paranoid sir.

How likely is it that my entire hard disk is wiped on both my home computer, the computer of my girlfriend and my laptop?

Varine

Reaction score
I think I have lost this conversation, and hereby forfeit.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
How likely is it that my entire hard disk is wiped on both my home computer, the computer of my girlfriend and my laptop?
But there's still a small chance it can happen. So tell me, what you gonna do then?

FireCat

Reaction score
He But I don't Just talk about the The helper.
But overall

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
He But I don't Just talk about the The helper.
But overall
Like what? Passwords for other forums?
Same answer.

And as i said, i have backups of all important data (of which i have little) on remote hard drives and dropbox. I have nothing to lose, even this "important" data is nothing that cannot be recreated.

FireCat

Reaction score
And as i said, i have backups of all important data (of which i have little) on remove hard drives and dropbox. I have nothing to lose, even this "important" data is nothing that cannot be recreated.
Well okay, good luck with that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.