Which Smart Phone to Get?

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
My old phone is dieing and I have saved some money to buy a new one. Thus the question: which smart phone to get?

Some details:
  • I'm not interested in downloadable apps
  • I don't mind if the screen isn't visible in direct sunlight
  • I love fast software updates
  • I want to be able to upload my own music/videos to the phone via my computer
  • 720p recording would be a huge benefit, as occasionally I need to film things
  • Don't care if the camera is front-facing or not
  • A LED-flash would be a benefit
  • The battery's lifetime should be somewhat decent as I'm not going to be surfing on the internet (excessively)/play games on the phone/etc.
  • I don't care about adding extra HDD space
  • I really don't care about the brand, as long as it fits my criteria best
  • My price range is max. 550$/£355/€410

In conclusion, I would use the phone as a combination of a mp3-player/camera to take pictures/internet to check my email (in addition to of course calling and texting).

So far:
Google Nexus S
- I love the phone, but it doesn't have 720p recording
- A lot of the reviews say the battery is a little bit too weak

HTC HD7
- the best looking in my opinion (the physical looks plus the software aesthetics)
- as far as I have looked into the matter, the phone doesn't support directly uploading my music/office files

Samsung Galaxy S
- Not really familiar with the phone, but it looks nice
- It's too expensive aka if it must beat the other phones significally in order for me to even think about buying it

I'm not too fond of the new Apple iPhone and the price tag doesn't help.

Anyway, suggestions, reviews, personal experiences is appreciated!

(My choice isn't limited with the phones I listed - though I like the Nexus S and HD7 very much)

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I'd definitely stay away from an iPhone if thats the stuff you're looking for. Lol

But it sounds like you would do good with an android phone, a lot of them have those features you're looking for. :)

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
I would personally say take another look at the Nexus S, because I'm a google fanboy and there are a few more reviews saying that the new software makes better use of the battery, and it ultimately does better then some of the other android's in terms of battery

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I would personally say take another look at the Nexus S, because I'm a google fanboy and there are a few more reviews saying that the new software makes better use of the battery, and it ultimately does better then some of the other android's in terms of battery

Wouldn't that make the other Adroid phones use their batteries more efficiently too then? :p

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Also, I now remember taking a look at the HTC Gratia:
- it's quite a bit weaker in terms of specs but it's also cheaper

Nokia C7
- has a very good camera plus the phone itself is very solid and bulletproof
- in terms of hardware, it's about as good as the HTC Gratia (less expensive than Nexus S, HTC HD7 and Galaxy S)

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Yes, I have. I just wanted to check if anyone here had any personal experiences, opinions etc. to share. Aka how is Android 2.2 better than 2.3 or how good is Symbian and how the batteries last normally. And so on.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your not interested in downloading apps then that's half of the buzz of the iPhone gone :p

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I'd go with the HTC you have posted as a possibility. My uncle and dad have HTC's and they are fucking stable, bug-less and the brand itself has a name of one of the dominating brands when it comes to class.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
First choice: HTC (It's the world's best selling phone after all). I'm digging on Aria (that's just me). Apparently HD7 ain't too good. But I don't think it's as bad as the rotten apple.

Second choice: Cheap Nokia phone with black and white display. Sometimes it comes with torchlight. Withstand falls... Probably just 10 bucks each. You can use it forever.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.