Report 1 in 10 Americans think HTML is an STD, study finds

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're talking tech with Americans, you may want to avoid using any jargon.
A recent study found that many Americans are lost when it comes to tech-related terms, with 11% saying that they thought HTML — a language that is used to create websites — was a sexually transmitted disease.

The study was conducted by Vouchercloud.net, a coupons website, as a way to determine how knowledgeable users are when it comes to tech terms.

"Technology is a huge interest for our user base, and month after month we see thousands of people visiting our site to look for coupons and deals to use when purchasing their favorite tech products," a company spokeswoman said in a statement. "It seems that quite a few of us need to brush up on our tech definitions."

Besides HTML, there were some other amusing findings

Read more here.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not terribly outraged by this. I think there are definitely a ton of basic facts about the world that it's kind of insane if you don't know them, but this isn't one. Most people have no need to know what HTML is, especially in a world where all you need to do is execute one Google search and you can find out more than you would ever want to know about HTML in an instant. Information is just so readily accessible that in many cases like this, I don't think of it as a big deal.
This is different than something like not knowing who is your country's president or vice president (I'm looking at you, many fellow Americans). That kind of thing just shows a blatant disregard for knowledge about your own country, which is to me very disappointing. It's different.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
But seriously, Not everyone are "programmers or developers"!?
But if you were, then I would be concerned.. LOL

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think more concerning is that people thought it was a STD instead of saying "I don't know" - it shows we have a "know-it-all" attitude problem, which is a bigger issue than the actual knowledge like Ghan said

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I think more concerning is that people thought it was a STD instead of saying "I don't know" - it shows we have a "know-it-all" attitude problem[.]
Since "I don't know" wasn't one of the three options they had to choose from in this multiple-choice questionnaire, your comment is... wrong. Except the part I left out which still holds true.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Since "I don't know" wasn't one of the three options they had to choose from in this multiple-choice questionnaire, your comment is... wrong.

then I would go with the questionnaire is wrong (or it's way of phrasing the results indicating that 10% believe that to be true)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Possible speculation:

The "know-it-all" attitude is probably what comes down to "bullying", "bragging rights", and "trying hard to be alpha, to impress girls".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.