a cool idea about terrain/fighting

muchalive

Reaction score
i just got an idea for those who are making a hero or rpg game. It is used in some online and rpg games but im not shure in custome maps.

This tatical style of combat uses the terrain to effect combat.
For example an archer is on a hill, that archer will get a damage bonus because he can shoot his arrows more accurat.

another example: a unit is in the water, effect the unit will take more damage in the water but has a 20% chance to evade.

Now normaly an expert editor would probly use jass or something to do this, but for me i would simply use regions and make buffs when the unit is in the region.

REMINDER: most REAL games have this feature, the reason why im telling you this idea is for world editors to use it because ive never played a map with this kind of feature. I hope to see it on some new maps, this will indeed spice up melee maps and hero type maps. message aproved by me and everyone mostlikely...:D

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
The hill thing is already a part of wacraft normal game engine. If you look around in the gamplay constants you will find something about it there.
The units in lower height than the unit they attack will have a bigger chance of missing:thup:

jnZ

I
Reaction score
wait a minute. why do you post this in the world editor help form? i mean you dont need help at all do you?

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
That has to be triggered. I actually don't know how to do that in a good way.

You could make a trigger that checked each 1 sec if a unit is in water or not, and if they are it adds a buff to them, probably by a dummy caster, and if they are not and has the buff it is removed:thup:

muchalive

Reaction score
i know the way...

keep it simple lol!

this is how i would do it. i will create a region in the water

i would make a trigger like this

event: a unit enters water region

condition: unit in region is useing the amphibious movement.

action: give triggering unit the evade buff

for the ground it is the same thing but with the ''unit is a ground unit equel to true'' condition.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
That is more difficult and you would need more triggers.
If you go with my way you will have only one trigger that checks it for all units. Have a trigger that fires every 1 sec and checks all units in the entire map, all it needs is some if/then/elses and it will work just fine and due to the 1 sec firing it will not interfere to much with anything in your map neither cause lag:thup:

muchalive

Reaction score
i like my way. its not you its just im used to doing things like that :D

i also forgot to add something event: a unit leaves water region

action remove buffs :D

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Then you will need atleast two trigger for every region, and if you want water in many places you will need a lot of triggers.

You are aware of the fact that regions are squares?
Do you want to have the terrain all squared?:eek:

muchalive

Reaction score
mmm that would be a cool new type of terrain like system... for a game like viva pinyata or pickmen or something ;)

mmm i would like to try this system on a regular melee map and play with a computer to see if it increases gameplay. ill just skip the water thing for now. :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.