About C++ learning time

Weirdoze

Reaction score
Okay, so i've been reading C++ tutorials for a week now, and I feel like that I haven't learned like "anything" and in other things I'm usually a quick learner. So do you guys have any ideas how long does it "usually" take to learn making of some really simple 2D game.

I'm not in a rush learning C++ just curious, so don't blame me like "YOU NOOB YOU DON'T LEARN C++ IN 2 HOURS" :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am not sure how long it will take you to make a 2D game, but it does take time to learn the basics. Maybe you should tell us what you have learnt so far, so we can tell you whether you are learning correctly and at the right speed.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I am currently working on one of those 2D games, and so far I have been learning c++ for about a years time all together, and I still need to learn stuff while I write my code:p

I don't think that there is anyone who does not learn anything new everytime they program in any language, atleast not when they are working on something new;)

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
If, you're learning C++, it's going to take a lot of time and dedication to get to a stage where you can code 2D games with ease. Trust me, when you start it doesn't seem as if you are learning anything, but once you get some of the basics down, just think of something and code it!

Also, I suggest following a line of tutorials, not just a bunch of random ones, and make sure they know what they are talking about!

A good website / forum i reccommend for any questions you may have is www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner :)

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Yes, I'm in the same situation as you, though I've been busy lately.
This is definitely a good tutorial as well. It has a 21 day plan where it explain things simply, yet sophisticatedly.
Click me!

My cousin sent me a c++ book 5th edition and I've preferred the 21 day tutorial over it. However, it mainly applies to reviewing what I learned from the c++ 5th edition learning guide. Therefore, I highly recommend downloading books, for they give detailed explanations of things while considering you to be a beginner who won't understand at all

here is a more in def guide to obtaining resources that could help you
In def guide
I like falco too xD. He's funny and he makes uses the same language as I do
c++ ftw

btw the c++ 5th edition book has 1,000 pages, so friends will definitely help you! Maybe you can even make your own team!

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
What I did was I learned vb.net, which has all the same stuff as C#, then C#, and C# is really just a simplified version of C++. You just need to get the syntax known.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I saw a preview on a site awhile ago for Dark GDK. It made it look really, really good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.