Age of Empires 3 LAN with two different versions?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got Age of Empires 3 and the two expansions, the warchiefs, and the asian dynasties.
I'm wanting to play with my dad over LAN, I've installed all three of the versions on both his and my computer, I insert Warchiefs into his disc drive and create the LAN game, I insert dynasties into my disc drive and go and look for the game, but it isn't there.

I'm not expecting to play with the asian dynasties expansion (content), I did however think with the dynasties disc inserted that it would be backward compatible with the other two versions.

Is this possible? I'd prefer not to have to buy another collection of TAD games just so we can play, if it isn't possible I might try just buying a new copy of TAD, so I have two discs.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
it's not possible to have a dynasties disk play with a warchiefs disk, but I think you can insert the disk, launch the game, and then move the disk over to the other computer and then start it like that

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I'll give that a shot, but I don't think so. I've found previously if I take the disc out, I get a "please insert the disc and retry" message.

I thought about doing a no cd crack, but, all the sites are incredibly questionable, and no doubt loaded with stuff I don't want.

Is it illegal to make a copy of the disc for this purpose? I'm leaning towards yes...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I'll give that a shot, but I don't think so. I've found previously if I take the disc out, I get a "please insert the disc and retry" message.

that wasn't the case for me with age of empires 2, but I haven't tried it with 3 yet

if that fails, im not sure how you it would work on a mac, but if both computers were running windows, you could share the entire cd drive over the network and thus both computers could use it at once

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
i think having an iso of the disk in the other pc and running it virtual drive wouldnt be a problem..
How would I do that?
that wasn't the case for me with age of empires 2, but I haven't tried it with 3 yet

if that fails, im not sure how you it would work on a mac, but if both computers were running windows, you could share the entire cd drive over the network and thus both computers could use it at once
Did I mention we're both using Windows 7 :D?

How do I do that? Sounds pretty good... would it work though? What does the disc actually do? If the game is reading files from it wouldn't it conflict or something?

Immolation

Reaction score
You sure you updated it to the latest patch? I believe that removes the need of the disk, not sure though,

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Yeah, I dl'd by going to ES online it auto downloads the latest before I can see the login screen.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
How would I do that?

Did I mention we're both using Windows 7 :D?

on the computer that has the disk you would go to start -> computer and then right click on the age of empires disk, then properties, then go to the sharing tab, advanced sharing, and then check "share this folder"

on the other computer, you would go to "network" then find the computer that has the disk, then double click on the disk to launch age of empires from there

it shouldn't conflict because it's only reading from the disk, and even then I don't think it reads from the disk while actually playing the game, since it's faster to read from the hard drive - I guess it depends on if you did a full install or not'

if you wanted to go the iso route, I would use IsoRecorder to make an iso from the disk, then move the iso file over to the other computer, and then use something like magicIso or powerIso to mount it, but I don't know if this would actually work since the disks are usually protected to prevent this kind of thing

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Ah ok, the sharing the drive thing sounds like a good idea.

Couldn't I copy all the files off it and burn them to a disc? and then use that second disc as a way to let it run on my dads computer?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Couldn't I copy all the files off it and burn them to a disc? and then use that second disc as a way to let it run on my dads computer?

that's the same as the iso route except for that an iso is a container that holds all the files from the disk, burning an iso and then using that disk or just mounting it is the exact same

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Ha, it worked! TYVM!

I tried it with my BF 2142 disc and it didn't work though, o well.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Ah yes, it was that. I shared my D drive, connected to my computer from dad's so it was accessible, and voila.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I don't know why, but TAD is letting me open it without the disc. I'm thinking it was like this all along lol :banghead:... I was sure it needed it though, maybe sharing the drive did something... idk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.