Anyone know how to mod the unit portraits?

SpiderJrslm

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I want to make a custom unit for an RPG map I'm working on, and I've reached a dead end in trying to figure out how to alter the character portraits (the moving, speaking one that appears at the bottom of the screen when you select them.) Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
You mean the animated heads of the unit?
Select the unit in the Data Editor. On the lower left side you have this tree with all the entries related to this unit. Under Actors you'll find the unit's main actor (it generally has the same name as the unit). Select it and on the right side you can find the entry "Art - Model (Portrait)". That's the one.

SpiderJrslm

Reaction score
Cool, but is there a way to make changes to an existing character portrait (like changing the coloring, altering the features, etc. -- similar to how the Blademaster in Warcraft 3 was modded to create the Phantom Lancer in Dota)? I should have worded my question better. Thanks though.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Portraits are actually models (at least the 3D ones are; the others are static images). To alter the 'facial' features, you would need a modelling program. However for something simple like changing the colour, you should be able to just modify the textures. This tutorial went through the process of modifying the Zealots textures and could be applied to a portrait.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.