AoS Lane Movement - AI improvement??

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
Basically I've been working on a sort of mini AI if you'd even call it that, which improves the creep waves lane movement slightly.
Its a two-part question:

Creep Movement

- Firstly I made waves move as groups (Easy as pie).
- Next I began storing them into groups as there are some corners & points on map, where I need to re-order them, but don't want them suddenly breaking up.

I'd now like to take it a little step further but I'm a bit stuck.
Basically I want it so Creep waves merge together when they come within close proximity. I.e. if say creep wave 2 reaches creep wave 1 and there still alive, they'll merge together becoming creep wave 2.

I'm not sure which is the best method in achieving this?
How would you do it, what do you think is the easiest way?

A method I was considering is:
  • Attaching a 'true' boolean to each creep wave as they are spawned (excluding the first ever wave).
  • When a group takes or deals damage from the opposing team (ignoring player controlled units), they will do a one off check for nearby creeps & set boolean to 'false'.
  • If there are any nearby groups, they'll destroy those groups and take those units to their own 'merging them into their own group'.
  • This should in theory only trigger when a wave catches up with a previous wave. If not it will cancel out.

Sounds good/bad?

Creep Harassing

In 6v6, another thing that really gets on my nerves is how the creeps chase you across the map. So basically you can lure or trick an entire lane away. I've been trying to think of a way to prevent this.

Similar to the above method, I was thinking simply:
  • Attach a Counter to each Group
  • The counter periodically counts up to X, in seconds (X could be roughly 8-10).
  • If a group hasn't taken or dealt damage within that time, the group gets 'Re-ordered/Resumed'.
  • When a unit does take or deal damage, their group counter is reset each time

Sounds good/bad?

===

thx for any input, suggestions or general advice

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Creep Harassing

In 6v6, another thing that really gets on my nerves is how the creeps chase you across the map. So basically you can lure or trick an entire lane away. I've been trying to think of a way to prevent this.

Similar to the above method, I was thinking simply:
  • Attach a Counter to each Group
  • The counter periodically counts up to X, in seconds (X could be roughly 8-10).
  • If a group hasn't taken or dealt damage within that time, the group gets 'Re-ordered/Resumed'.
  • When a unit does take or deal damage, their group counter is reset each time

Sounds good/bad?

===

thx for any input, suggestions or general advice

I don't know but if you want to stop the units from attacking creeps at the side of a lane, you shouldn't do so by checking if they haven't attacked/been attacked. Since they would attack the creeps.

I probably understood you wrong but w/e.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.