WIP Apocalypse

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
apocalypse2.jpg

The premise of the map is the outbreak of an airborne virus which infected the majority of the world's population before symptoms began to show. The virus's effects made those who did not have a natural immunity, 95% of the world, into light-sensitive demons.
The game takes place within a small city, where the players take the role of a team of Special Forces who are primarily looking for the anti-virus. The game is comprised of a series of waves of enemies. At the start of each wave, a mission is given. The game alternates between day and night, and each time the day comes the waves will, for the most part, stop for a short time, allowing you to re-coup before it starts again. Missions will be given periodically, there will maybe fifty all together, and the game ends once all are done, as opposed to surviving a hundred waves or whatever like many maps similar to this.

Now, I know someone will ask what's different about this map. Well, I'm working on making it totally interactive. All the buildings will be made with interiors, I will be making, or more likely try to find someone to make, a projectile system and physics system, so that if you shoot something it will be pushed around, making the map dynamic, forcing you to move around rather than sit on top of a wall thing all game.

I have made a somewhat working turret system, so you can have something like a heavy machine gun and use a bipod to fire at the enemies.

I have been working on a vehicle system for some time now, where it takes two people to actually operate most of them. One person would drive, while the other operates the turret (not sure if this is actually possible, I've had a ton of issues thus far) by making the body and turret of vehicles separate entities and syncing them together.

I am trying to use entirely custom models and textures.

I am also working on an airstrike system, and if it goes as planned it will affect the interiors of the buildings to some extent as well (for instance, if you firebomb a street, the buildings will catch on fire. Although I don't think I'm going to work on making them destructible, at least not yet, the buildings will burn for some time, lighting up the interiors while also burning you if you're inside).

I will be making a live enemy system, where during the day they don't just disappear, the enemies will retreat back into the buildings when the sun begins to come up and look for dark areas. Not entirely sure how I am going to do this just yet.

Real darkness, rather than just fade filters, using WindexIsBack's Real Darkness Model Pack (I believe that is the name, sorry if I got it wrong) and his Modern Wall packs, as well as my own models. I am working on a night vision system as well as a flashlight system, and I am going to have to work on making the transition from this to daylight as well.

Please post questions and feedback. Windex, no calling me a loser or I'll feel bad about myself. You know you say mean things.

I am also looking for some help with the projectile system since I'm terrible with doing those.

Screenshots:

http://img156.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=wc3scrnshot040409073444.jpg

All obviously taken in the WE when I first started. Will upload more as soon as I get done with the new textures. All models within are by WindexIsBack

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
OMG!! It looks soo cool! Virus as in disease or computer virus?
EDIT: Just read it completely, I loathe reading long paragraphs.... seems interesting enough... good luck on trying to accomplish those complex things you mentioned.

Nice picture!!

What type of game is it? ARENA? RPG? AOS?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Looks nice. I'm guessing life-virus, since they turn people into light-sensitive demons. ;)

The idea really isn't too original, but with the story you give it sounds awesome. :thup:

Seems to me like Fallout 3 with the whole apocalypse idea and interactive environment. Good luck with this, if you need any ideas, I'm here. :)

Or beta-testers.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Varine

Reaction score
OMG!! It looks soo cool! Virus as in disease or computer virus?
EDIT: Just read it completely, I loathe reading long paragraphs.... seems interesting enough... good luck on trying to accomplish those complex things you mentioned.

Nice picture!!

What type of game is it? ARENA? RPG? AOS?

mm thanks, I love photoshop.

I'm guessing life-virus, since they turn people into light-sensitive demons.

Yes it's a living virus. Not a lot of airborne computer viruses out there. Made me laugh a little bit on the inside.

Anyway, it's more like an RPG out of those. As I said, it'll be wave based, but there are also missions that you'll need to accomplish in order to actually beat the game. I'm probably going to insert a mode where it's just waves, because some people like that more.

The majority of the systems I think will be possible. I've seen most of them before, with the exception of the vehicle firing system, which is of all of them the one I want the most to force teamwork. I do think it will be possible, as I've seen maps where the turrets have free rotation, which means that they are separate models being synced to the body, so what I need to work on is doing that, while making it controllable by a player so that it can rotate.

I got a normal turret working using some other models, I'll have to get around to getting mine in there pretty soon. I'll upload a video of it to youtube sometime soon to show how it works. The turrets are moved using the arrow keys (I know everyone hates arrow keys), but it does actually work extremely well so far. I'm working on making a firing system where you can hold down a key and it all repeatedly fire, maybe make the shooting ability auto cast and it will turn on or off when you hit a key. Not really sure yet.

There's no ammo or backpack system yet, still need to work on those a little bit to find a way to best incorporate them.

I'm working on the terrain right now so I can get some screenshots up. I'm using WindexIsBack's model packs that he thankfully pointed me to, as well as a few of my own once I get them complete (I do have a modern soldier model that doesn't look like shit finally).

I've got to do some texture edits, but it probably won't take too long to do that (the textures that Windex uses aren't made to be stacked from the looks of it, I need to make multifloor buildings so I'll have to make them repeating).

If someone is good at animation, I could use a bit of help with my units (need to make the zombies still). Animation for Warcraft isn't my thing, not used to keeping the file sizes down.

I do need a few ideas, I want to make it somewhat scary (obviously not terribly easy using Warcraft), so I'm looking for some ways to make the atmosphere more intense. I will need to find some sounds and get a voice guy here pretty quick, if anyone's interested in doing that. If someone wants I can get a little script written up for you.

Varine

Reaction score
Map is on hold until I get out of Clan BNR.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
I do need a few ideas, I want to make it somewhat scary (obviously not terribly easy using Warcraft), so I'm looking for some ways to make the atmosphere more intense. I will need to find some sounds and get a voice guy here pretty quick, if anyone's interested in doing that. If someone wants I can get a little script written up for you.
.... I don't like scary things. If you have seen The Holy Mother: Blackriver Side...... !! That is freaky for me! The villager skin which has blood all over it, and that scream horror thingy!!

Warcraft is meant to be bang bang! Not Horror!! I'll never play anything besides my own maps, blizzards map, and other maps that aren't scary :D

Varine

Reaction score
Have you ever played FEAR?

I've been working on some new textures, and I've been working on the terrain a bit today. I didn't do much with the models, but I have gotten a couple of buildings done so far. The city isn't going to be very big, just like a downtown district of a small cityscape, with a bank, some apartments, office buildings, I'll probably throw in a school and a couple of churches. I will be working on making it very detailed, and I've got a ton of models left to do for atmosphere.

The way the interiors are working is when you approach the door to a building, you will get the ability to enter and you can hit the hotkey and it will transport you inside. Same thing will go for vehicles once I get them done, obviously a different key.

I'm not sure how I am going to do the movement system. I was thinking about using the arrow keys to move and mouse to fire but that's a glitchy system usually, so I'm thinking that a better method would be to use the basic movement/attack system where you attack automatically and move with the mouse, but install that projectile system so that you don't automatically hit. Not sure how well that'll work though, I'll have to work on it a little bit more to be sure that it won't lag like crazy.

I'm also going to make an aggro system, so whoever is doing the most damage to the enemies will be the one targeted the most. Because it's really annoying if you're acting as the medic and have that shitty damage level, while the tank guy is killing everything and you're in a group and they all attack you instead of the tank. I hate that....

Oh, and because I hate that when you die in a lot of games you have to wait for everyone else to die then remake the map, there will be a revival system so that when you do 'die' you can still be healed by your allies regardless of how you die. I'm going to make a restart system as well so you don't have to remake the map and wait for everyone to come back then get pissed off when that one guy decides after ten minutes to play something else.

Got a couple of buildings done. Need to upload new textures and overwrite the current ones still. Buildings done: Warehouse, post office, mall. Still got to work on the police station, fire station, hospital, apartments, office building, parking garage, airport, marina/naval base thing.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
just a bit of advice, if you are going to move projectiles periodically for the bullets, do it in jass or atleast have most of the movement functions wrote. movement via x and y is very important if you wont want wasted process power. dont use locations.

Varine

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to write the projectiles and physics with JASS, or find someone to do it for me rather since I'm not very good with it.

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
You're a loser varine.

Beyond that, may I recommend my double delux Made-In-America* modern walls?
*Made in china, assembled in Mexico, shipped from Britain

EDIT: I looked at the pictures - those match the style as my older walls, yet different textures. Btw, I recommend adjusting all of those walls rotations by 1 - they're at 89, 179, 269, or 359 instead of 90, 180ect. Not sure why wc3 does this, but it will fix those horrendous lines.

Perhaps you got those from my The End Is Here map? Tell me, is there a brick01.blp and a bricks02.blp?
If so, where did you get them (if you did not get them from my map - which I have no problem with)

EDIT: Damnit, really need to quick glancing over the posts. Noticed my name the second time through it, and honed down. You are seeming to use my pack - however I don't think you're using the new one..

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Ah, really? Looks different. I have absolutely no problem with having no credit - I just don't want them stolen, which is why I was interested in them. The way you were using them made me believe they were the unreleased version :p

The new version doesn't have much to it from what you already have - it does include a better demo map and a few (half a dozen, I think) misc objects, along with better roofing that allows western-style roofs.

Varine

Reaction score
I'll take a look at it. I think I've got most of what's necessary, since it's a downtown area so the roofs are all going to be flat (mostly so units can walk on them), and then the interiors are going to be a little more tricky.

Thanks.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
units can walk on 3 dimensional shaped models btw if using elevators. you add a normal V roof, and the unit will walk up the slant on one side, and down the other. not that this is helpful in anyway. ^_^

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
lol, true, but its pretty fun to mess with elevators with certain models... like potentially climbing up trees and stuff :p

Varine

Reaction score
Yeah I will have to mess around with that if I want to do ladders, but for that I'd probably make a secondary walking animation or something. Or just find a way to not use them, like a real person.

Varine

Reaction score
Alright so I got to use NewGen because of the amount of doodads I have to use, so now that it's set up I can finish up the with the exterior stuff pretty soon. I'm almost done with the new textures, and I've got the weapon models done now. I've to to animate the soldier model still and make some zombie stuff up, but once that's all through it should be pretty smooth going in terms of making it playable.

The systems will still take some time to get working, and I will have to keep working on the models for them for a little bit here.

There are four vehicles (there's actually a few more because I've got a few different types of generic cars):
Humvee
Tank
Helicopter (there will be like a Cobra or Apache, and then a modified transport helicopter with two machine guns)
Cars/trucks

With the helicopters, I'm going to try and make a system so that you can move it up or down, so that you can go lower to fire at the zombies.

The way these vehicles will work is one person will be driving, while another player is controlling the turret (hopefully). I'm thinking I can do this by making the body and turret different entities, then syncing the movement together, but I'll also have to make it so that it can rotate freely while moving, which I'm not entirely sure is possible. If someone wanted to help with this, that would be awesome.

There will also be gunship support. If you go to the airfield, you can call for a gunship to come by, and it will land and a player (maybe more, I don't know) can go hop in and it'll take a thirty second or so run around the map, where you'll be able to use the gun to fire down on the enemies.

The air support will work differently, where you paint a spot (it'll take eight seconds to call in or so), and then a plane will fly by and drop some bombs. There will be a few different kinds, what I've been thinking is firebombing (like a carpet bomb, it'll drop some explosive material and then once it ignites it'll go off), gas, which will just spread out and suffocate stuff inside the could pretty much, and then maybe some more basic bombs where it just explodes and kills stuff. I'm also going to make some fire support where something like an A10 will make a quick run by.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.