Are all those mouse button assignments possible on a logitech mx518?

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Hey

I'm about to buy a logitech mx518 mouse since everyone seems to agree it's awesome. And it's not too expensive.

Never had a gaming mouse though, so I want to be sure it can do all the things I want.

-Can I assign a button to be 5 clicks at once?
-About the buttons that change mouse speed, can I reassign those too?
-Is it possible to assign complicated combinations? For example switching through multiple controlgroups in sc2.

I assume it's about the same with every gaming mouse.

Thanks in advance

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
No, you can't assign a button for 5 clicks without 3rd party programs (like AutoHotkey).
No, AFAIK you can't.
Probably, yes. Not sure though. Have not used that particular mouse.

I do know that it has limited macro support through.

I would recommend something like the G5 or G9. The Microsoft Sidewinder is pretty nice, too. Not sure on its macro capabilities though.

Personally, I have the RAZER Mamba, and it's a dream to work with.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
meh :/
That is quite annoying then.

Are those things possible withe the mice you suggested? Or are they impossible with about any mouse?

Third party programms are quite annoying tbh. Would be much easier to have it on the mouse.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Razer has a nice mouse, and while it's more expensive, it should have macro support, which would likely let you do the 5-click thingy you wanted.

Plus it has more buttons, and a higher DPI.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I have the 518 and it has 8 buttons (+ the wheel scroll) - the left click/right click can't be changed, but all the others can be changed to any keyboard combination (like ctrl+alt+del/alt+tab/etc.) or single/double click, or a few other things (maximize, minimize, middle button, etc.) with the default software (logitech setpoint) - I have it set to alt+tab, copy/paste, etc.

so no to the first (only double click), yes to the 2nd (the mouse sensitivity buttons can be changed), not quite sure what you mean by the 3rd, but I I think so - you can do something like 1 button is alt+9, then another button acts as 9, such that you can create and select a control group from the mouse

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For question 2: My Roccat Kone has 2 buttons on it to control the dpi of the mouse (mouse speed).

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
UndeadDragon, he's asking if those buttons can be *reassigned*. Not if they have them or not.

Slapshot, I'm sure you mean that your sensitivity buttons can be changed to different sensitivity levels, but AFAIK, no mouse I've seen allows you to completely reassign those buttons. I assumed he means to assign them to something other than sensitivity levels.

For the third question, most mouses with programmable buttons come with macro programs (though a lot of them are limited).

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Slapshot, I'm sure you mean that your sensitivity buttons can be changed to different sensitivity levels, but AFAIK, no mouse I've seen allows you to completely reassign those buttons. I assumed he means to assign them to something other than sensitivity levels.

well, they still have the + and - on the physical buttons, but you can change what they do via the program
attachment.php
View attachment 40220

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Meh.
Guess there is no cheap mouse with good macro mechanics.

Microsoft sidewinder and logitech G500 seem like what I want but they still have some useless stuff (weight cartridge wtf). Bit cheaper then razor naga suggested earlier.

Thanks for info :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.