Balancing unit costs

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to balance unit cost based on their hitpoints, attack, etc?

For example, suppose you have a spellcasting unit with 300 hit points, 4 armor, a ranged attack of 30 and 100 mana. How much gold and wood would this unit cost? Would its cost be different from a ranged non-caster, or a melee unit?

I did find a formula that says 100 wood=70 gold, and 1 food=40 gold (http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28009), but that only helps modify pre-existing costs. I'm still not sure how to come up with all new costs that are still balanced.

WuHT

Reaction score
I'd say the defining factor in cost for a spellcaster unit is the power of their spells. If they were generic vanilla units (lvl 1 creep like kobold) then sure u can follow the forumla

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I suppose what I'm asking is, does a "traits" (hitpoints, casting ability, etc.)="resources" (gold, wood and food) formula exist? The one I found was more like "resource 1"="resource 2".

WuHT

Reaction score
honestly you are asking a very weird question (no offence)

I personally like "balance tweaking" myself, and therefore figuring the cost out for myself.

I doubt one exist, so maybe you can make one for all of us!

Just to start u off ... u better set your OWN standard and then base everything off it.

Not like ghoul 120 gold = 2 food/330hp/0armour.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I know what hit point values I want, but I'm completely clueless as to the resources each would cost.

Still, I think there must be some rationale to how Blizzard figured out the costs of its units. As far as I can tell, there are 10 kinds of units:

Workers (Peasant, Peon, Wisp, Acolyte)
Basic Melee (Footman, Grunt, Ghoul)
Basic Ranged (Rifleman, Headhunter, Archer, Crypt Fiend)
Advanced Melee (Tauren, Mountain Giant, Abomination)
Advanced Range (Kodo Beast, Hippogryph Rider)
Cavalry (Knight, Raider, Huntress)
Siege (Mortar Team, Siege Engine, Demolisher, Glaive Thrower, Meat Wagon)
Light Air (Flying Machine, Batrider, Hippogryph, Gargoyle)
Heavy Air (Gryphon Rider, Dragonhawk Rider, Wind Rider, Chimera, Frost Wyrm)
Healer (Priest, Witch Doctor, Druid of the Claw)
Caster (Sorceress, Shaman, Druid of the Talon, Necromancer, Banshee)
Anti-caster (Spell Breaker, Spirit Walker, Dryad, Faerie Dragon, Obsidian Statue)

Does anyone disagree with the units in these roles?

M

mc117

Balancing units stats and their costs is a never ending game. There is no "formula" really that can define how much a unit should cost. You just need to try out a certain cost, decide if its good or not and then tweak it.

ThySpektre

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
mc117 said:
Balancing units stats and their costs is a never ending game. There is no "formula" really that can define how much a unit should cost. You just need to try out a certain cost, decide if its good or not and then tweak it.

Actually, I think this is a great question. For my map, I have SO many attributes and had to assign vaues to each of them. You can literally make nearly a million different heroes in my map.

Unfortuantely, mine was a "trial and error" and it needed little refinement to make it fun. Is it the "best"...who knows. Would have been nice to come up with something like this though.

ThySpektre

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.