Tutorial Basic Terraining - Lesson 1 - Forests

Leo

Reaction score
2-P your exaggerating a slight bit with this anti-cliff stuff.

There are some rare circumstances where I think they actually look more natural, and thats if your doing some Barrens style terrain, where sharpcliffs, canyons, and buttes fit in naturally. Raised terrain doesn't have the sharpness that is needed for a situation like this.

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Thanks Leo for helping with the cliffs. Now since if we keep this up the thread will end up with 5 pages of argument between good cliffs and bad cliffs i think we should draw this debate to a close.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
>"3. That landscape is using cliffs."

What? There are obviously no cliffs in the pictures. And don't say you need cliffs in the progress of making the water, because that would be really ridiculous.

>"Might i ask on the helm deep pics they arnt just using terrain tools and not cliffs are they (for the castle) I mean the battlement syou cant get a straight down edge without using cliffs.."

You don't know how to make very steep terrain without using cliffs? Well you're right, we should end this discussion now, at least until you've learned more about terraining.
Good luck. :)

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
As you were saying that cliffs aren't good, does that mean this terrain is not good as well?
PS: I'm showing a picture of cliffs, not about forests..

Ignore the Marine and the Red Cactus. o_O

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Heh i know how to make very steep terrain with just the hill raise tool but if you make it go straight down then it is a cliff isnt it.

If you just look at the pic then it looks like there has been cliffs used and to be frank it would be a lot easier to use cliffs but they arn't used there its the plautue button so i apologize.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Well this tutorial had some help with one of my maps..

Cliffs don't suck if u terrain them right u get a nice result.
i use cliffs in conjunction with the raise and lower tools and i can come up with a nice Uneven cliff. The problem with cliffs is because there too even. Uneven cliffs don't look too bad on hilly forest maps.

But nice tutorial very realistic Woodland u have there :D

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
As you were saying that cliffs aren't good, does that mean this terrain is not good as well?

Yes, if you are showing off terrain. If you are using it for an actual map, I guess it is ok, but remember that Plateau beats cliffs by more than a mile. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.