WIP Battle System Experiment

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
After enjoying the joys of Valkyrie Profile's insanely smooth battle system, i have come to a conclusion to attempt to remake it's battle system (with my own twists of course)

The battles will play out on a differnt section of the map (much like FFF), from there your player leader (the hero that you pick) will spawn, then youll summon your 3 minons (just 3 other units yo ucan controle)

You do not controle the battles directly, instead placed in the middle of your party group is your controller, this is where most of the battles would take place

Basicaly, it will map your character's attack (if you have a mage, his or her defult spell) in accordance to their positon on the feild. Pushing the button will make the corrisponding character run up to the Target and attack him once, pushing it rapidly allows you to land more hits.

Targetting would be done with the right click, nothing too specal

Comboing hits, depending on what weapon you have equiped, youll have a diffent ammount of attack points that you can use (the points are fully restored after each turn, this applies for everyone but mages, they have their own little system) If you manage to string attacks togeter, you will be able to dish out more damage.

It will feature a custom biult Attack dice system (inspired by DnD) and Defense dice system. Comboing decreses the Defense Dice for the turn, every hit chips a part of that dice away by 1 point.

Btw, the HP bar from bullet hell will be makeing it's appearance here, it will be displayed on the bottom portion of the battle screen and next to it will be a hits gauge which will monitor your performace for your turn by how many combos you do (course, weapons are part of the equation)

Btw, would anyone mind linking me to a good "jump" tutorial? it would help me make this experiment look alot nicer (i plan on useing the results in this experiment to make my own multiplayer liniar RPG)

What is the purpose? As i said, iplan on useing this on a future rpg, but i want to above all else, make wc3 feel like your playing a good old console game again

Btw, forgive my spelling mistakes, ive been on my ps1 controller all day so the keyboard is a bit awkward for me atm, funny... a few days ago this was like an extension of me

oh, dont worry about not knowing when your out of attack points, ill have a system to show how many you have (most likely by useing an attachment to your weapon) (yes, it will overlap with elemental attachments, but its a way of feedback, i cant really remake the hud like it was in valk profile)

also, since i have a habit of looseing my files on my comp (dont ask why) im saveing my ideas on this thread

and yes i do plan on working on this before i release the new version for bullet hell

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
can heroes get multiple attacks from weapons?
like attack 1 (O) attack 2 (X) attack 3 (O)

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
yea, i never quite understood what the o and x ment in the original, but i will have combos (and somehow make them flashy on wc3 animations lol) (both multi people combo, and multihit from single person combos)

ill also attempt a dopple ganger effect for the multiple hits lol

demotry241

Reaction score
O =represents possibility
X = none

that is why most weapons w/ high damage has one O and 2 X meaning 1 attack.

and weak weapons has three O meaning you can HIT them 3 times xD

now all we need.. is an inventory system that we can access while fighting.. and its already Valkyrie profile for WC3:FT

The Next Best thing to if someone could make a map that has

Zone of Enders - example : hey a footman, grab his head and spin and throw!.

EDIT: I LOVE YOUR IDEA~!, MAKE COMBO POSSIBLE~!

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
aye... ZoE.. thats far too fast paced for the wc3 engine (not to mention its impossible to get an effecent air battle system)

action games like that just cant be put on a rts engine effecently, it can be done tho... but how effecent and how well it looks is going to be horrid.... wc3 models are not made to fly, especaly the humanoid models, and most imports are crap @.@

Btw. This is a take on wc3 Valk profile, it WILL NOT HAVE THE EXACT ANIMATIONS AS THE ORIGINAL GAME, THEY WILL BE SUBSITUTED WITH Wc3 ANIMATIONS AND SPECAL EFFECTS SO IT WILL NOT LOOK AWKWARD (also just makeing all those animations from scratch would be a pain in the ass... which i dont want cuz my ass is alredy in pain from unrelated stuff like trying to get a A ending in valk profile)

demotry241

Reaction score
i dont need animation, i need gameplay.... wise words...

XD anyway a combo like blademaster+tauren chieftain + lich + paladin.. = lol.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
New plans for the battle system, instead of putting in turns, im putting in a AP system that constantly refills and drains as a party and will refill alot like the valk2 guage (getting hit refils, over time refills, chargeing refills)

unfortuently tho, i cant start any of tese untill saturday cuz i gotta reinstall and my firend has my CDs (he has his own cd key)

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
expect the system to be done by this week, ive made it to encompass fast paced battels and such

You controle the leader of the party, and use the WASD keys (which will auto target to your current target, assinged by right clicking an enimy) to summon an enjeriar to attack (the enheriar will disspear after the attack) and yes there will be lots and lots of ribbon effects <cuz i <3 them>

I plan on useing this system in a AoS later on

some things for balance issues, the enjeriar will have their own AP guage, so you cant spam just one

ill fill you guys in more 2mm

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
and yes i do plan on working on this before i release the new version for bullet hell

There's gonna be another version of Bullet Hell??

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
that would depend on if i can think of new bullet patterns lol

oh btw, anyone know 4 skills (items included) that allows me to cast it while moveing? (i plan on useing the wc3 move system for this engine)

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
you cant cast auras while moveing, this isnt d2 where auras are activateable, auras are passive in wc3 so it wont work

what im looking for is the method of cast, not the effect. Like windwalk you can cast while you move, but scroll of speed you have t ostop to cast

realy, im just getting dummy buttons that the hero will cast but it wont have an effect on it's current movement or anything, like he wont stop to cast or channel so it feels natural

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
>oh btw, anyone know 4 skills (items included) that allows me to cast it while moveing?
Sorry, only know of 2: Windwalk and Berserk.

EDIT
Posted too soon, after a bit of testing I can finish off the list with two more abilities: Immolation and Bladestorm. That makes 4.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
immo is toggle, so that might be a bit tricky, blade storm might work ill ckeck it out ty ^-^

Edit: Immolation, bug with skill where the buff is on eternaly but the abil is on the activate immolation side, so i wont use that
Bladestorm disables all skills for one second even with no cast time or duration
Windwalk is perfect, but ive alredy been useing that
Rejuve item works perfectly as a unit abil so thats good
Berkserk wont get silenced, im not shure if thats the same case with the rejuve item effect, so i wont be useing that (cuz im planing on useing silence as a way to disable all attacks)
Also some item effects like heal or mp pots cant use on full so i cant use that
so atm im stuck with 2.....

Tested the abilities but failed
pot of invune - Cancles the targetting of other players
Pot of invis - Reqires a 1 sec cast
Fan of knives - Reqires a 1 sec cast

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
dot dot dot

I just did some debug tests...
windwalk - work perfect as usual
Pot of reuve - Dosent trigger the trigger

Some other tests with skills
Defend, works perfectly BUT it dosent trigger the trigger which pisses me off

what this says....
so it looks like ill be useing berserk, but still that only leaves me with two.... i still need two more...

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
>Defend, works perfectly BUT it dosent trigger the trigger which pisses me off

Don't test Defend as an ability(Which I assume is what your doing), make the trigger wait for the defend order.
Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is issued an order with no target
    Conditions
        (Issued order) Equal to (==) (Order(defend))
    Actions
        -------- Your actions --------

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
well i CAN do that, but the skills also determine the differnt attack patterns, so if i do it by order, then itll be impossible to defferienciate between what pattern is what pattern, which is why i need them to be triggered via start of ability or start of cast for ability

charge gold and lumber dosent work either.......

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.