Blade Masters Deathmatch beta

Xenoche

Reaction score
Blade Masters Deathmatch beta

My map 'BM DM' has now entered public testing over the last couple of nights, with good results thus far. Here I will give a summary of what the map is about.

In the beginning...

Like many other death match genres, this map is about killing, but when I reviewed allot of these maps they were usually poorly constructed, had minimal custom abilities (using shock wave as a base for a shuriken type spell for example) and used the standard WC3 combat system which or though is good enough for melee maps, I felt didnt really return the satisfaction one should get in a map entirely focused on combat. So after considering these factors I came to the conclusion that;
-----I would need to replace the preset 'simplicities' of the WC3 combat system.
-----Add a system for the handling of thrown weapons.

After taking these into consideration I made a test map to make sure my systems and functions worked as desired, after testing for the last week and being satisfied with the current progress I'm now releasing this beta map.

The Combat Sysytem

Theres a number of features that I have implemented to add an element of depth to the way inwhich players interact in combat situations. First of all, this might sound strange, I have slowed the play speed by 30% to enhance the players ability to formulate combat strategies before engaging in combat with someone, to be honest, once you start playing you get used to the reduction and actually makes complicated combat situations involving more than 2 combatants more comprehend able, instead of the usual 'run in and leave it to luck' type of thinking. In other words, once your engaged theres more to do then simply attack.
-----Added Blockable and Unblockable attack types, blockable attacks can obviously be blocked including ranged attacks which subsequently bounce off your sword upon being blocked adding a kind of combat scenario thats usually reserved for jedi's :p, And yes you can get a kill if that deflected shuriken hits an enemy.
-----Frontal attacks and rear attacks. Basically whenever being attacked from the front, depending on you blademasters stats, you will have an innate chance to deflect attacks. However, when being attacked from behind you have no such chance and you are dealt bonus damage.
-----Counter Attacks and Dodge. Basically, if you successfully block an enemy melee attack you counter attack, adding to the incentive to try and block attacks. Dodge in BMDM is your last ditch defence after blocking, parrying. Its entirely random but your chance to evade changes depending on your Blademaster type, for example, a Night Elven blademaster has a better chance to evade then a Undead blademaster.

The Game

Once the map is loaded player one choses the game mode, the kill limit for each round, the the number of rounds a player/team needs in order to win.

Gamemodes implemented at the moment are:
-----Free for All: No teams, an all out destruction derby of blademasters, ffa in its current state seems to be a bit cluttered beyond 7-8 players, fun non-the-less.
-----Teams: Randomly divides all players into two teams, a necessity to have an even number of players upon game start.
-----Companions: Randomly pairs off all players into partnerships of 2, also has a necessity for an even number of players. This mode I have found personally to be the most fun with a fullhouse :)

Once everyone has chosen the race of thier blademaster of the 6 that are currently implemented, they spawn on the map, and "IT'S ON" :cool:

Blademasters implemented at the moment are:
Human, Night Elf, Undead, Blood Elf, Draenei and Demon
Yet to be implemented are: Naga, Troll and Goblin

The Maps implemented at the moment are:
The River
Yet to be implemented are: The Marsh, The Barren Land and the Demon Citadel.

For Now...

Well, thats alot to take in, I will be posting an open beta version shortly, as for screenshots, the terrain is still very much under construction so I will post screenies once the first arena is fully complete.

For the meantime, any and all general ideas are welcome and I am also looking for an experienced terrainer who might want to make any of the 3 maps that are yet to be implemented. Please note that I am looking for experienced terrainers, PM me if your interested with a link to your work as a skill reference, credit will be payed to anyone who is willing in the official release.
The dimensions for each map must be 64x64.

Xenoche

Reaction score
Hmmmm, well I have considered adding an Orc blademaster, but I'm still on the look-out for a suitable model (I'm not a big fan of the WC3 equivalents).

I'll be doing a play test on the map tonight before I release it, just to make sure I rid it of some 'kinks'. If that goes well, expect to see an open beta up within the day.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Um, there's already a map called Blademaster Battle and not saying that you or your map sucks but that map is amazing. There are also 3 modes that i forgot, but it's a unique game because you don't move and attack normal WC3. Instead, you have skills - Attack - you lunge foward with your sword swiping down dealing damage, Defend - your guy shields himself, blocking all damage in the FRONT only and knocks back attacks and range attacks, Ninja Star or w/e - you throw a ninja star, and you also have mojo points for ults... anyway, im not here to discourage you but......................... good luck! :D

Xenoche

Reaction score
Interesting... well I just tried to find it on Hive Workshop and couldn't find it. It would be good to play it, just to see if its worth me trying, or if there are things I could do to make my map different, no point in making a duplicate.

I'll look around, thanks for giving me the heads up and possibly saving me some time.

EDIT.
Ok, I found the map you were talking about, and had a look. It wasn't that similar so I'm content with continuing this project, commencing tonight with the last(hopefully) closed beta test, if thats a success and bug free, then I'll post it.

Xenoche

Reaction score
Ok, I have finnally got the map to a point where most bugs are eliminated (I'm sure there are still some hiding, there always is :eek:). Here is an optimized version for people to try out.

Completed:

-4 different arenas, The Forest, Marshland, Barren Hill and Molten Core.
-Power-ups that spawn in two places on each arena.
-A chase cam ((3rd person) can be dis-abled and enabled by typing -cc)

Feedback would be much appreciated.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Host a beta test! I might have one for my map tonight (AvPW) and maybe we can do ours back to back.

Xenoche

Reaction score
That sounds good vine, well just have to organize a time. I'm in New Zealand (the time I posted this was 0840). I'm ussually online in the afternoons (work and all:().

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.