Blizzard acknowledges a SC problem with windows 2000/ME/XP

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Original posted problem

I'm running Windows 2000. Whenever I try to join a game on Brood War Bnet it just says the latency of the game creator is too high. Blizz posted a solution to this problem on the Tech Support Forum here, but I can't follow it - it says to double click on your cd rom drive, click properties, and go to "compatability" so you can change emulation modes. I can't find this option - someone please help!

Blizzards response:

Subject: Re: BW - "Latency is too high" - Please Help!!
Host: Blizzard Entertainment
Date: Thu Dec 27 16:37:28

The Windows 2000\ME\XP winsock will at times return an error relating to certain function calls. When this occurs, StarCraft will no longer accept UDP packets through port 6112. This is why you are receiving an error message.

When this happens, a Windows user will not be able to join Battle.net games, and will become disconnected from any game in progress (though this bug seems to mostly occur before a player gets into a game). Older versions of the Windows winsock do not appear to return this particular error. Keep in mind that StarCraft was not originally designed to work with Windows 2000\ME\XP.

You can try to run StarCraft in compatibility mode in Windows 2000 or XP.
1. Make sure the game cd is in the cd-rom drive.
2. Right click on the desktop and select New and create a Shortcut.
3. Use the Browse button to point the shortcut to the cd-rom drive then click Ok.
4. Click on Next then type in a name for the game and click the
Finish button.
5. Right click on the shortcut you just made and choose
"properties". There is a Compatibility tab where you can
select different emulation modes. Experiment with the different
emulation modes (Windows95, Windows98 and WindowsNT SP5) and see if you are able to play more than one StarCraft game without having to reboot and reconnect.

If you don't have a Compatibility tab in the StarCraft shortcut
properties, download the latest Service Pack upgrade for Windows 2000 and the "Windows 2000 Compatibility Updates" component in the Recommended Updates section at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

We are working on a permanent solution. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

--Thor

M

Memnoch

Not a bad response time. What ? 2 Years? Ya, Not bad at all for blizzard.:D

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
wel on the otherhand they gonna do something about it hehe
i know alot of companies who are totally not supporting winxp hehe
oh you bought a 400 dollar scanner ? 9 months ago ? well sorry we not gonna support xp .
course the fun factor with winxp is if u don't like it or hit to many probs u can bring it back and say :"i didn't agreee with the license agreement"
every shop has to take it back since it says that on the license agreement :)

S

Swilo

They've known about that problem for a long time, and I'm sure you're not the first to get that email.
They're going to have the fix in the next patch, probably first quarter 2002.

S

Swilo

The clan didn't make it, one of the members did. I believe Skywing also told blizzard exactly what he did to fix it after he got it working. I want to know why they didn't fix it already.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.