Blizzard announced 'no CD'-patch within one week

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
January 29th, 2008 - Today, the eSports Team is meeting with Rob Pardo, (Senior Vice President of Game Design), and Chris Sigaty, (Lead Producer of StarCraft II), Dustin Browder (Lead Designer of StarCraft II),and David Kim (Balance Designer of StarCraft II) for the second round of discussions on the balance changes that will happen for Patch 1.22. Many of the balance changes mentioned by both professional eSports players and the community alike, such as 'nerfs' to Human Guard Tower repair rates are on the top of the balance list for these rounds of discussion.

When balance changes are more solidified, I will give you an update on what these may be, and a better approximate release time. Furthermore, there is the possibility of additional Battle.net features to be added in Patch 1.22 that would further add to the longevity of the game online.

Patch 1.21b, the 'no CD' patch for Warcraft III is being signed off as we speak, and is aiming at a release for next week.

source

J

Jakeshuffle

so when you say "no CD" you mean that we don't need the CD to launch W3?

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Looks like it. Cool to see them relax the protection since the game is so old. CD/DVD drives are nearing the end of their usefulness and probably won't be in computers much longer and it's just a matter of time before their replacements aren't compatible.

1337Elite

Reaction score
I hope that everything will be on those flash memories later on. Though, they have a tendency to disappear.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
well, propably these are just some features they did for SC2 and now implent them into Wc3 xD But who cares?

This patch will actually be to hold the promise bliz gave I gues - to do a new patch before the end of 2007. Oh, that's allready over? However the next gameplay patch will propably come later even if they announced it for 2007...

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
thats nice then i don't need to reach out for my cd once and a while when i need it.

lazyness FTW :cool:

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
No-cd patch, great. Looking forward to these new Battlenet features aswell. A sort of sneak-peak into what we can expect from the SC2 BNet overhaul I guess.

J

Jakeshuffle

another feature i would like to see is that they should have more then just normal W3 tournaments, i would LOVE to be in a Castle Fight tournament but that is just me ^^

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score
No-cd patch, great. Looking forward to these new Battlenet features aswell. A sort of sneak-peak into what we can expect from the SC2 BNet overhaul I guess.
Battle.Net has been around for a very long time, and has no significantly changed except for game-specific modifications since Wc3 was released. During the first few weeks of the official release and all through the public beta testing, they were making huge changes to everything about how you viewed it: skin, layout, buttons, placement. Since then there've only been very small changes to implement new features. But no, you won't see what SC2 BNet will be like, because it's WC3. It's like the difference between SC1, WC3, Diablo, and D2 Battle.Net layouts.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
Looks like it. Cool to see them relax the protection since the game is so old. CD/DVD drives are nearing the end of their usefulness and probably won't be in computers much longer and it's just a matter of time before their replacements aren't compatible.

then how will we get games on our comps? tiny memory chips? :rolleyes:

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Maybe... but probably more like downloads. Some companies are even trying to make it so software is just a service that you access over the web and you don't actually need to "install" it. I think some early Blu-Ray and HD-DVD computer drives couldn't read CDs but they might've adjusted that in later models. Still, eventually they'll drop support for the CD format thats already like 25 years old.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Hehe...

cd_tray_fight.png

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
Battle.Net has been around for a very long time, and has no significantly changed except for game-specific modifications since Wc3 was released. During the first few weeks of the official release and all through the public beta testing, they were making huge changes to everything about how you viewed it: skin, layout, buttons, placement. Since then there've only been very small changes to implement new features. But no, you won't see what SC2 BNet will be like, because it's WC3. It's like the difference between SC1, WC3, Diablo, and D2 Battle.Net layouts.

So what changes do you propose it could be then

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty explanatory. Nothing significant, obviously, but I have no idea what they would do. Probably more support for tournaments, as that seemed to be their target goal last time I was on. Possibly support for certain very popular games, such as DotA. As I said, no idea. Blizzard does weird things.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
so what date should this be?

you posted this 29. th january and now it's 3rd february, does it arive within 2 days?!!?! :eek:

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
*dies returns as a zombie, then gets back to being a non-zombie due to happiness of no cd*

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
Maybe... but probably more like downloads. Some companies are even trying to make it so software is just a service that you access over the web and you don't actually need to "install" it. I think some early Blu-Ray and HD-DVD computer drives couldn't read CDs but they might've adjusted that in later models. Still, eventually they'll drop support for the CD format thats already like 25 years old.

honestly I want to be able to download games on my computer, and not go on the web to play warcraft 3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.