boomerang search effect

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
Hi,

How can I create a search effect which search in the direction my tower is fireing?
So if the tower fires to the north, then the units right after the tower shouldn't take any damage

MissKerrigan

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
On the Search Effect, check the flag Offset Area by Angle. Then when creating a search area on a Search Effect (Search: Areas + property), set the Arc value to the angle you want around the target direction. So if you set it to 90 degrees and the tower attacks to the North, units within 45 degrees (90 / 2 = 45) of that direction will be affected. Does this make sense?

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
wow what is that all about? sorry I'm not very familliar with all these math signs
btw, what's arc, arcade?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Look at this picture:
sector.gif

Normally when you use a search effect, it searches in an entire circle around you. Why? Because the arc is 360 degrees. You might remember from elementary school's math that a circle is 360 degrees. The arc just tells the game how many degrees of the circle should be searched. Since it starts on 360, it searches the entire circle.

The arc is just the angle(A, in the picture) of the yellow part. If it's 360, the entire circle will be yellow.

The unit is always facing in the middle of yellow part. So in the picture, the unit would be looking to the north-east. So if you set the Arc to 90, 45 degrees of the cone will be to the left of the unit and 45 degrees to the right.

Now this might all seem very confusing, but you just have to ask yourself one thing: How many degrees to the left should it target enemies? Multiply that by 2(since there's a left and a right side) and set the arc to that.

If you don't want a cone shape, but rather a thick line shape, the only solution I can think of would be with persistants, periodic offsets and several circular search effects. It wouldn't really be a line, but rather several circles put together.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.