Bullets like These

Discussion in 'Starcraft 2 (SC2) Editor Help' started by PureOwnage, Apr 26, 2010.

1. PureOwnage

PureOwnage Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I would love to make bullets like in this video.

[YOUTUBE]
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5-D0_1_rRU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5-D0_1_rRU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    [/YOUTUBE]

However, I don't know where to get started.. If you would help me, this would be helpful in two of my projects.. The problem is that in the video, you click a point and the marine shoots there. But if it misses, it explodes, if it doesn't it collides with the unit. I can't get that too work. Any help?

2. kioSk

kioSk New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Could be the Marauder weapon...

3. PureOwnage

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Not what I mean. I need a trigger for bullet detection.

4. Cookiemaster

Cookiemaster New Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    To do this, you would obviously need to implement some sort of hit detection.

As long as there are a low amount of enemies, you could do this by checking if any enemy unit is in x range of any bullet every 1/x seconds, and add something to see how much lifetime the bullet has left.

If you start to make things with a lot of objects, you will have to implement a sort of hit detection, heavily optimized, to prevent lagg.

Like I have in my map: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149665
    Instead of checking the distance between every unit and your unit, I only check the units the distance of the units close to me.
    I achieve this by "making" a grid, and giving a list of units to every single square. Unlike the hit detection and movement, the list is not updated every 1/32th second, but every 1/8th second to reduce lagg. (GREATLY)
    Instead of checking all units for collision, I check the units from my grid location +1~-1 on both x and y axis, which cuts away checking another possibly 90 units for checking.

5. Arkless

Arkless New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
  6. Renendaru

Renendaru (Evol)ution is nothing without love.

Ratings:
    +309 / 0 / -0
    He used the baneling effect to damage. o.o

7. PureOwnage

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Heh, I just played it, you can hear the sound of banelings dying when the bullet dies.

8. BlowingKush

BlowingKush I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Jesus Christ. This is the best custom game ive played so far. Awesome.

Once again, to bad Blizzard fucked us over and won't allow mouse support to move a unit (only a camera).

WSAD is only fun for so long

9. Renendaru

Ratings:
    +309 / 0 / -0
    This is the beta, calm down please. And, have you ever seen a game in its closed beta, having full functionality? If you have, that game does not evolve, therefore does not need to be brought up.

10. BlowingKush

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    It's hard not to get angry when the obvious is unimplemented.

i want the X,Y coordinates of the damn mouse cursor.

Please.

11. PureOwnage

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I agree, Warcraft 3 could do that with trackables but SC2 can't? Yeah because we're going to click everytime we need to know the X and Y of the mouse.

12. Renendaru

Ratings:
    +309 / 0 / -0
    If you had paid attention in the editor preview, in the Starcraft: Ghost game, he said they'd add support for aiming with the mouse. It's obvious what that means, mouse tracking will be here.

13. BlowingKush

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I do not like to pay attention.

I would rather rage over something that has already been addressed.

14. kioSk

kioSk New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    But Aiming again could just meen the camera, which'd suck :(

15. Renendaru

Ratings:
    +309 / 0 / -0
    As I said...

Which means, most likely at least, mouse tracking.

16. chanta45

chanta45 New Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Personally I think we were lucky to get the editor with beta ^_^ They did say they were adding mouselook support, I believe the editor will evolve just as much as the regular game throughout the rest of beta.

I'd say a hearty amount of people are getting beta just for custom games/editor, hopefully they know their audience and will cater to it.

17. sLsIDK

sLsIDK New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I'm getting SC2 just for the editor, I even got the beta from a friend because I heard the editor would be coming out in the beta.