Buying speakers, I want YOUR advice!

Fragglez

Reaction score
I'm buying speakers to serve my music and gaming!

Now heres the thing, we all have to learn sometime, and I need to know what to look out for. I know this much:

high wattage = the louder sound can go without being distorted
You want somewhat of a balance with wattage with the bass and satellites, bass being the dominant one.

And I know some basics on "rms" and "PMPO" thanks to wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power (or listed below)

RMS
A meaningful and reliable measure of the maximum power output of an audio amplifier, or the power handling of a loudspeaker is continuous sine wave power, or more strictly continuous average sine wave power. Harmonic distortion increases with power output; the maximum continuous power output of an amplifier is always stated at a given percentage of distortion, say 1% THD+N at 1 kHz. Considerably more power can be delivered if distortion is allowed to increase; some manufacturers quote maximum power at a higher distortion, like 10%, making their equipment appear more powerful than if measured at an acceptable distortion level. Continuous power is often referred to as "[true] RMS power", although this is technically incorrect: while RMS (Root Mean Square) power is a valid quantity, it is neither useful as a measurement nor what is intended by those who use the term. The sine wave power is found by averaging the instantaneous power output over either a long period of time ('continuous or RMS power') or one complete cycle ('music power'), so it is actually the average power or mean power. For a resistive load such as most loudspeakers the average power is the product of the RMS current and RMS voltage.

In common use RMS, when applied to power measurements, has come to mean "sine-wave power." A 100 Watt "RMS" amplifier can produce a 100 Watt sine-wave into its load. With music, the total actual power would be less. With a square-wave, it would be more.
PMPO (none of the speakers listed below are PMPO)
a much more dubious measure, of interest more to advertising copy-writers than to consumers. The term PMPO has never been defined in any standard but it is often taken to be the sum of some sort of peak power for each amplifier in a system. Different manufacturers use different definitions, so that the ratio of PMPO to continuous power output varies widely; it is not possible to convert from one to the other. Peak power is twice the sine wave power, so, for example, a 5 channel system using amplifiers which can output 10 watts for a few milliseconds with an unspecified percentage of distortion would be specified as '100 watts PMPO'. Sometimes, an extra factor is applied to get an even higher figure. The term PMPO is considered misleading and meaningless by audio professionals. Most amplifiers can sustain their PMPO for only a very short time; loudspeakers are not designed to withstand their stated PMPO for anything but a momentary peak without serious damage. Sometimes the PMPO which can be delivered into an unrealistic resistive load, rather than a real loudspeaker, is quoted. There have been genuine attempts to measure 'peak music power' as described below, but in general the term is not at all useful.[citation needed]

The true power output of an amplifier can be estimated by examining the input current. Linear amplifiers tend to be about 60% efficient at best. A switch-mode amplifier (known as class D) can achieve much higher efficiency, sometimes as high as 95%. A linear car amplifier labeled "500 W PMPO" but fitted with a 5-amp fuse can, at most, deliver an average power of 5 A × 14.4 V × 60%, or about 43 watts. (100% efficiency is always used for PMPO)

Peak momentary power output and peak music power output are two different measurements with different specification and should not be used interchangeably. Every time a manufacturer uses different words such as pulse or performance they do so to reflect some non standard system of measurement of their own, where only they know what it means. The Federal Trade Commission is putting an end to this Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Rule, Power Output Claims for Amplifiers Utilized in Home Entertainment Products, 46 CFR 432 (1974).
Peak Momentary Power Output is the capacity to pass a single peak or a short train of peaks usually less than ten contiguous wave cycles. Peak Music Power Output requires the amplifier to pass up to 10 ms of the waveform or vastly longer pulse trains. Neither spec is standardized for music and neither required the amp to be able to handle the power for any continuous duty cycle. It's like buying grape juice, if the words grape and juice do not follow each other, it is probably not grape juice. These terms have had real meaning long before the audio industry began using them and are not at all misleading. RADAR amplifiers only care about peak momentary impulse power and CW Linear amplifiers only care about RMS because a continuous sine wave is all they do.

Now that this is stated, I would like to bring in these 2 products I have found that might be what I'm looking for!

Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121121
I see this and first notice that the watts on this are WAY higher!

Logitech G51 155 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121012
I see this and notice some "matrix" on the controller, this seems nice and like a great thing to have.

This throws me off though, Why are ones with higher wattage at a lower price and with better reviews? What one is a better pick?

The question: What should I buy? Or if you have a different pick, feel free to show me!
Also, When does it get to the point when it is too much with watts?

Rep will be rewarded for even doing something as simple as posting here!

Edit: Just in case it matters, my soundcard is the Creative Soundblaster X-fi Extreme Gamer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.