Charged Items

Derek0

Reaction score
I know I've seen this somewhere before but I can't find it now.
In my map, there's a charged item called a "Healing Potion". All heroes have a health potion in their inventory slot 1 with 3 charges. My problem is that when it's used, all 3 charges are used and the item dissapears, instead of just one charge used and 2 charges would be left.
I would like to know if there was a way to make it use the charges one at a time when clicked on instead of all at once? It's not a huge issue but my players find it a little annoying.

Thanks in advance
Derek0

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
They use the same ability, so the cooldown restarts. Set the cooldown to 0.

ROTS19

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
base the potions of diffrent things, ex: Greater potion of healing or Greater replenishment potion, mana potions, clarity potions, things like that.

i've had a simmaler problem but with diffrent abilitys going on at once with my map.

Derek0

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean it that way. What I'm saying is one inventory slot has 3 Healing Potions in it (the little charged number in the corner has a 3). When clicked, instead of using one, it uses all three. If the potions are in different slots, then it works fine, but when they're in one slot, and their charged number is greater then 1, it uses all of the potions in that slot.

I guess there was more to say about the problem after all. :p

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> What I'm saying is one inventory slot has 3 Healing Potions in it (the little charged number in the corner has a 3).

You mean you have one item with three charges.
You can't have more than one in one slot.

Any triggers that would run when you use it?

Derek0

Reaction score
> What I'm saying is one inventory slot has 3 Healing Potions in it (the little charged number in the corner has a 3).

You mean you have one item with three charges.
You can't have more than one in one slot.

Any triggers that would run when you use it?

Yeah sorry I wasn't very awake this morning so I couldn't think as much as I would've liked :p

Yeah, thats what I mean, a health potion in a hero's inventory slot 1 with 3 charges. When it's used, all 3 charges are used and the item dissapears, instead of just one charge used and 2 charges would be left.

Actually, I don't have any Item triggers in my map, I haven't had a use for them yet. The only trigger I have with items is Hero - Give Item To Hero for my mounting system. The mount is a different unit, and when you mount, it transferes lvl, exp, health, mana, and items. I don't have any triggers for the Healing Potions.

EDIT: Hold on, I think I may see the problem. The person who made this map before I editied it (it's helms deep) gave the greater healing potions 3 abilities instead of one: Item Healing (Greater), Item Healing (Greater), and Item Healing (Greater). Could this be why it uses up all three charges at once?

EDIT 2:Yeah, I got rid of two of those abilities and it only uses one now. Only problem is the cooldown. What cooldown group uses a 1 seccond cooldown?

EDIT 3: ?!?!!? I can't change the cooldown in RoC? Ok, anyone know a charged item that has a 1 seccond cooldown?

EDIT 4: Ok, I used healing wars as the potions because they have no cooldown

EDIT 5: Ok, now I'm just feeling stupid. All this time the cooldown was in the abilities. You can't edit RoC abilities, so I'm screwed.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
We have a tutorial around here made by Tonks about making custom abilities in RoC (along with some other nifty tricks).

Derek0

Reaction score
We have a tutorial around here made by Tonks about making custom abilities in RoC (along with some other nifty tricks).
I just went and looked at his tutorial. They way he has it, to change any abilities would take up 800kb or so because ability data is stores with all abilities on one spreadsheet, so when I got it out of the MPQ file the sheet was 800kb or so and it would never fit with the music.

Oh, btw, I have a suggestion for adding music into a map. Where should I put it?
My suggestion would be to turn the kbps of the music down to 40 (the editor would not take it any lower), more if it sounds awful. I took the helms deep music theme, changed it from 128kbps to 40kbps, and it sounded exactly the same, and also reduced the size of my map alot. I added a whole bunch of custom models and skins, and them with the 40kbps music is a smaller map size then not models or skins with 128kbps music. And the best part is you cannot tell the difference in music.
Just a suggestion. Is there a place I can put this tip?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
First of all I strongly suggest that you get rid of custom music.
Why do you need it? Does it make your map better? Does it improve the gameplay? Does it make more balanced? "No" to all three.
And BTW if I remember correctly MPQ compression works great with SLK files, should reduce them to 20-50% of their actual size.

Derek0

Reaction score
First of all I strongly suggest that you get rid of custom music.
Why do you need it? Does it make your map better? Does it improve the gameplay? Does it make more balanced? "No" to all three.

actually, the answeres are yes, yes, and no. You see, to most people the music makes it funner to play, because it really makes you feel more immersed into Lord of the Rings. When players are having fun, they play better, so it improves gameplay. Since gameplay is improved, it makes the map better to play.

Also, I compressed my music so much that it downloads at the same speed as an average map with custom models. I do have a few models, but not alot. And, like I said before, there's almost no difference in the quality.

My map is also very balenced, I've lost to the Uruks as much as I defeat them. It's funny really, I've been very unlucky lately because I put in somthing I wanted to test when the coutner had 2 minutes left, and I tried it 3 or 4 times, and lost each one. Half of those were due to a gate glitch though, that I fixed recently (Thanks Lordbevan!) but the other half we lost without the gate glitch (the glitch didn't happen every time).

I get off topic too much don't I :p

And BTW if I remember correctly MPQ compression works great with SLK files, should reduce them to 20-50% of their actual size.
Yes well then it would take up 400kb at best, which is still alot for one custom skill, don't you think?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.