Component Transfer

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a new case for my PC, if I took a photo of my current component layout, and set it up exactly as it was in my new case - would it work fine? I mean is there anything I have to do within the system itself before transferring my components.

Cus Im just wondering if when I boot it with the new case it will come up with error messages etc. Im guessing no, but I want to be sure just incase.

Here are the specs for the cases:

My Current Case
X-Sonic 6918-F

Model: 6918F BLACK & SILVER
Power Supply: 460W
Drive Bay: 3.5" x 2
Drive Bay (Internal): 3.5" x 4
USB 2: Yes, 2 external port
Firewire: No
Fans: 2 x 120 mm Front/ Rear/ 1 x 80 mm Side Fans
Fan Slots: 3
Audio/MIC: 1 external port
PCI Slots: 7 (Tool Less)
Material: 1.2 mm Aluminium
PSU SATA Connection: Yes
PSU PCI Express Connection: Yes
PSU Main Power: 20pin + 4 pin convertible connector
Dimension (WxHxD): 240 mm X 515 mm X 540 mm
Weight: 7.0 kg

Wanted Case

iCUTE S-901 BLACK

Case Model: S901-Series
Case Type: Middle Tower Case
Dimension: 205 x 440 x 430 mm (W x D x H)
Meterial: 0.6 mm SECC
Motherboards: ATX/Micro ATX
Drive Bays: External 9 x 5.25" 2 x 3.5" Conversion 4 x 5.25' to 3.5"
Side I/O: USB*4 + AUDIO
FAN: Front (Intake) - 12cm*1 (optional) Real (Exhaust) - 8cm*2/12cm*1 (optional) Side (Intake) - Metal Side Panel + 12cm Air Duct for 4G; Acrylic Side Panel + 12 cm Air Duct + 12 cm Blue LED fan fro 4GA; Metal Side Panel + 25 cm fan for 5G1 Features 9 PCS metal mesh bay cover Blue power LED 4 sets 5.25 to 3.5 adapter + 12 cm fan bracker in the front 12cm/8cm
Technical design air duct for CPU cooling Metal mesh front panel for excellent ventilation Excellent VGA (SLI system) Cooling High performance and low noise level Extra large thumb screws for easy open side panel.

My Components

CPU: E6550
VGA: Inno3D 8600GT 512MB
MOBO: Gigabyte G33-DS3R
RAM: 2GB DDR2 667Mhz
HDD: Samsung 250GB SP2504C
PSU: 450W ATX
Optical: I forget, think its a Pioneer SATA II 16-18x DVD-RAM

All of the above fit into my current case (Obviously).

So if I transferred all my components to the wanted case, cable by cable exactly as it was before - my computer should run as it did before, if not better because of the cooling, right? No setup changes needed?

Rad

Reaction score
Wanted Case

iCUTE S-901 BLACK

Case Model: S901-Series
Case Type: Middle Tower Case
Dimension: 205 x 440 x 430 mm (W x D x H)
Meterial: 0.6 mm SECC
Motherboards: ATX/Micro ATX
Drive Bays: External 9 x 5.25" 2 x 3.5" Conversion 4 x 5.25' to 3.5"
Side I/O: USB*4 + AUDIO

From Gigabytes website, for your motherboard:
305 x 210mm

This exceeds your wanted case's dimensions, and you can't turn your motherboard to make it fit :p

Moving components is a hassle though, taking each piece out and unplugging them, then unscrewing the screws from the motherboard... Things can get lost/damaged but for the most part it should work out - just a pain to do so.

I would suggest Mid ATX Steel case with no power supply (PSU's are usually junk when they are included, and you already have one)

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
From Gigabytes website, for your motherboard:
305 x 210mm

This exceeds your wanted case's dimensions, and you can't turn your motherboard to make it fit :p

It will fit: 205 x 440 x 430 mm (W x D x H)
The ones you're interested in are the 440x430mm. Try to find a picture of the case's internals and estimate whether you can use all the drive bays you need.

As for the questions:
  • why are you buying 667MHz RAM instead of 800MHz? Both CPU and mainboard can handle them.
  • why choose a mainboard with integrated graphics when you're buying a video card? Get a P35 or better instead.
  • you're not going to play and 3D-intensive games, right? Take a look at both the 9600GT and 8800GT and compare them to your needs and budget.

If you only want to swap the case: forget it, if the only purpose is to look cool.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
I've had a look at other mobo's @ Gigabyte just now and most of them, especially the P35's are all 305x210. So I don't see the major problem here. The wanted case says it supports ATX, and the mobo's are ATX, so I don't see why iCUTE would build a case that supports ATX, when it can't.

The Mobo specs never say if it is W*L, or vice-versa, it just says x*x. Also notice the X-Sonic is W*H*D, iCUTE is W*D*H. So make sure you're looking at it right.

The person above said it would fit, but then you go on about "The ones you're interested in are 440x430". What are the "ones" you are talking about? Mobo or Case? I doubt I can get a mobo that big...
So, the question, will I be able to transfer my components?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a look at other mobo's @ Gigabyte just now and most of them, especially the P35's are all 305x210. So I don't see the major problem here. The wanted case says it supports ATX, and the mobo's are ATX, so I don't see why iCUTE would build a case that supports ATX, when it can't.

The Mobo specs never say if it is W*L, or vice-versa, it just says x*x. Also notice the X-Sonic is W*H*D, iCUTE is W*D*H. So make sure you're looking at it right.

The person above said it would fit, but then you go on about "The ones you're interested in are 440x430". What are the "ones" you are talking about? Mobo or Case? I doubt I can get a mobo that big...
So, the question, will I be able to transfer my components?

As long as the Motherboard will fit the answer is Yes.

Rad

Reaction score
Wait, the case he's looking at is 440 in depth, I guess I was thinking the width would be the width of the motherboard, but I guess they measure it from the front.

So yeah, I was wrong and it will fit

Didn't put much thought into it lol

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
I've had a look at other mobo's @ Gigabyte just now and most of them, especially the P35's are all 305x210. So I don't see the major problem here.

The mainboard have to conform to one of the industry standard sizes. Most are standard ATX (305x210), while entry-level and board specially tailored for media-center PCs use the smaller microATX (244x244) form factor.

High-end boards, because of their feature set require additional space on the PCB and often come in EATX (305x330). The latter one is not guaranteed to fit in smaller mini or midi towers.

Full read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atx#Variants

Make sure that you can fit all your 5 1/4in drives and cooler. As I said above, get an internal view of the case and see if it will it, read reviews or ask the manufacturer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.