Computer Crash

idk_a_name

ABC GUM :D
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently using a ATI Radeon 9000 for my Emachines PC. My problem is that every time I play World of Warcraft the computer monitor will go into "computer energy saving mode" and the monitor will shut off at completely random times and won't be able to turn back on, but my tower will still be on.

Also my computer sometimes will freeze in-game the screen will turn into a orange/yellow fuzzy color and then World of Warcraft will turn off. then my computer will ask you to restart itself.

Please help me, I've had all I can take with restarting my computer 3 times over 20 minutes.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Does your screen go into energy save mode immediately when startig the game? Check the vertical refresh rate. Don't set it higher than 75Hz (better 60Hz) if you're using a flatscreen. And on a CRT, check your manual for the maximum supported rate.

idk_a_name

Reaction score
My monitor goes into power saving mode at a random time while playing world of warcraft. It could be after 2 hours or 5 minutes of playing. I don't know how to get to that vertical refresh rate you were talking about.

Rad

Reaction score
I know if you go to properties on your desktop theres a power option which you can change how long it takes to kick in but thats only when your idle.

The refresh rate thing will be in WoW's settings near the resolution. You should set your games resolution to your desktops resolution (To also avoid having to wait for the monitor to rescale itself).

With a radeon 9000, I suggest resolution 1024x768 MAX. And your refresh rate should be 60hz as suggested.

I used to play WoW with a 9600 card on 1024x768(60hz) so you should be good with those settings. Normally when your monitor turns off its because the resolution isn't supported which would include refresh rate.

I doubt its actually caused by power saving features.

Reaction score
I think I know what enouwee means..

First go to control panel.

http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07404/cpwhat.JPG
Click the "Näyttö" kind of button, which goes to the settings of your screen.

http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07404/cpwhat2.JPG
Go to the fifth panel, and click the button which is marked.

http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07404/cpwhat3.JPG
Go to the third panel (marked with small red ellipse), and then you are able to see the refresh rate..

Sorry about the weird explanation as I have no idea what they are really called in English.

EDIT://Noez Rad ;(

idk_a_name

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I just found out that my Radeon is 9550 not 9000 :p. Alright I went through almost everything I can do. My hz is set to 60 in WoW and in my Control Panel. everything is 1024x768. I opened up my computer and cleaned everything. I made sure all my power settings didn't turn my computer on hibernate or something... Still my computer will go into the power saving mode every so often.

Rad

Reaction score
Well I don't really know, maybe enouwee has some technical tip for you but until then, have you tried playing it in a window? You can probrably change it in your display settings where you set your refresh rate. If not you might get it to work with a shortcut and -window in the target box (Like for Wc3)

idk_a_name

Reaction score
Well it hasn't crashed like that before, but I've only played it in a window maybe 3 times and my WoW doesn't crash every time I play. Just at random times.

Rad

Reaction score
So its inconsistent? Then its probrably not your monitor/display settings... You might want to update your video card drivers here.

Select WinXP, Radeon, 9550 Series and click OK. Download and install... The way it stands, it could be alot of things. I'd start with the video card itself.

idk_a_name

Reaction score
Which one do I download?

driver.jpg

Rad

Reaction score
The bottom one is probrably all you need, but the top one comes with extra features and includes the bottom file too

Catalyst is the ATI display manager where you can manage effects like Anti-Aliasing on your desktop (Which is terrible because fonts get harder to read), and it lets you override 3d game settings too.

You can get either

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.