Custom Carrier Bug

Kildare

Reaction score
Ok, this is what i tried to do: I tried to make a carrier that can store and launch two types of units, Fighters and Bombers. These fighters and bombers in turn like the normal carrier ability will hover around the carrier and can ALSO be targeted and destroyed by enemies.

However, i'm not sure what went wrong but a few things didn't go well:
1) Fighters don't appear when Carrier is attacking.
2) Bombers appear but they don't hover around. Instead they stay at the point of birth and attack enemies without moving.

I've checked all the data and everything seems to be in order. I'm not sure what went wrong here. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

EDIT: OK, after going through a thorough step by step bug isolation, i found out that problem #2 was caused by wrong weapon type. I didn't use the Strafe weapon type which was used by the normal carrier ability.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
a unit can (normally) only use one type of weapon at a time. It will (always) choose the weapon that deals the most damage to the unit you are attacking.

how to get around this: uncheck "linked cooldown" (weapon options)

I'm pretty sure that will do it; however, you might need to uncheck "only fire while attacking" and/or "only fire at attack target"...

Kildare

Reaction score
It's ok. i just found out the problem with the dual units issue. I used two separate hangar abilities to contain each unit type, but apparently you MUST only use one. You just have to set an extra ammo type into the hangar abilities data value. It works fine now. THanks anyway. =)

Clockwork

Reaction score
I hate the hangar abilities. I tried to use them for something but ran into a ton of issues with it. If you have any extra insight for it I would appreciate it.

I tried making an ability for a ground marine type unit that when pushed made a drone and when used again would launch the drone. Since the casting unit was a ground unit, the ammo unit always was on the ground (even though the ammo was an air unit). I have no clue how to fix that, although maybe I would need to use triggers.

The other problem was the duration. If there were enemies attacking the marine the drone would stay and fight, where as I only wanted it to be active for 20 secs, before returning to the hangar, thus forcing the marine to spend some energy to cast it again. No clue if that can be done.

If you have any thoughts I appreciate it, otherwise I will continue to give that ability the middle finger.

Kildare

Reaction score
I tried making an ability for a ground marine type unit that when pushed made a drone and when used again would launch the drone. Since the casting unit was a ground unit, the ammo unit always was on the ground (even though the ammo was an air unit). I have no clue how to fix that, although maybe I would need to use triggers.

Before anything else, have you actually checked whether the pathing/movement settings for the air unit is correct? You may have set it to the air "plane" but it may still be considered a ground unit.

The other problem was the duration. If there were enemies attacking the marine the drone would stay and fight, where as I only wanted it to be active for 20 secs, before returning to the hangar, thus forcing the marine to spend some energy to cast it again. No clue if that can be done.

This SHOULD be possible considering it's available in WCIII. I don't think Blizz would be so stupid to take it out knowing that people would want to use it.

At any rate, try setting the "Time Use" values in the Hangar abilities "Army" values to 20. There are two "Time Use" values there so i'm not sure which one you should use. Another idea would be to add in a requirement to the ability. Not sure if it'll work but it's worth a try.

EDIT: Oh, and do try adjusting the values that are in the "Weapons" if the ones in Abilities don't work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.