Tutorial Custom Hotkeys

simonake

Reaction score
I've been asked several time and I decided to make a short thread,(tutorial) on this.
This system doesn't need a the Editor, and works IN ALL THE GAME!!!! whitout having to edit them.
What is required
  • You need Notepad (any text program).
  • You need to go in your WarcraftIII files.
  • You don't need the Editor, everything is done in your Warcraft files.

Who need's it?
This tutorial is for anyone that plays game in English on Battle.net and that thier WarcraftIII base languge is different from english. It's made to change your hotkeys, you can set them to whatever you want!

Example: Yesterday, i played Dota with Lich. Lich has a spell called Nova wich is knowns from the real lich in the normal WarcraftIII. Or, with my french WarcraftIII, they hotley for 'Move' is Avancer. So i couldn't use Nova because it was overwriten by move. Dota is made in English, that's why the hotkeys didn't fit with mines.
So i changed them with this system and now my hotkeys are set to the English Hotkeys, wich makes me enjoy Dota much more. :D ;)

Important Note: If your English is bad, like mine, you can go in your WarcraftIII directory, and read the file (That must be writen in your WarcraftIII base language) called " CustomKeyInfo.txt " which explain how to, in a bit harder way to understand than my tutorial.

How to:

First, open a notepad or any text program. Call it " CustomKeys.txt " (or download it below) and save it. Then open the file " CustomKeysSample.txt "(wich is situed in your WarcraftIII directory) where you can find all the Hotkeys of the Basic, melee maps. (Like, Train a Grunt = T.) Well we're aiming for the normal keys here like: (Patroll, Move, Attack, Hold Position, Stand). You can take which keys you want it in, copy and paste it into the file you created: " CustomKeys.txt ". Now, you should see for each actions something like this:
//Avancer(Move)
[CmdMove]
Tip=Avancer(Move)
Hotkey=V
You can Edit two things from these line. The Tip and the hotkey. For the tip, I strongly suggest you to read this tutorial from Romek that's about the Tips Romek's Tutorial which talks abit of these famous custom keys.
Tip=(WhichTipYouWant(ColorCodes from the editor works into tips))
For they keys, just change it WITH A CAPITAL Letter, otherwise i don't know if it will work.
Hotkey=(WhichCapitalLetter)

When you done all the step upon, YOU MUST open WarcraftIII, go into Options, Game, and check the box "Use Custom Hotkeys", save and enjoy your new hotkeys.

WARNING: You shouldn't change the basic skill's hotkey because if they're used into a map as a 'Base' for a custom spell, they'll be changed. Otherwise If you want to change it, knowing this warning, it's up to you.

Thank you for reading, really hope it helps you. (Doesn't work for you, post a comment and i promise you'll be answered).

Here is the CustomKeys.txt file, if needed. (Zipped, i couldn't send a .txt file, wasn't working.)

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
I've seen people use programs to assign hotkeys for them.

(P.s. Dota supports mutliple languages)

simonake

Reaction score
The program is Dota Key.

Edit: even if Dota is multi-language, it does not change the hotkeys

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Didn't Romek already do this tutorial?

Edit: A link.

Edit Again: He did it for editing in the spell list itself, so never mind I suppose.

Edit yet again (lol): Bah I never read.

simonake

Reaction score
Read the 4-5 pages of posts, you will understand the difference between his tutorial and mine :p

Renendaru

Reaction score
I already do understand it, that's why I said "Bah I never read."

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
The tutorial could use some formatting.
I didn't get past the first few parts because it just looks like a block-wall of text;
Which is very discouraging to read :p .

EDIT: Also, try not to use all the size tags.
It displays different for people (for me, very, very small) .

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Read the 4-5 pages of posts, you will understand the difference between his tutorial and mine
As a matter of fact, there are hardly any.
This is just a different solution to the same problem.

simonake

Reaction score
Romek, yours need to be added to the map wich is different from mine, because mine fit with all maps.

Better Renendaru? (Increased size)

Renendaru

Reaction score
I didn't ask for a size change, Wolfie did. :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Romek, yours need to be added to the map wich is different from mine, because mine fit with all maps.
No it doesn't.
When importing that, you essentially temporarily replace the files in the MPQ.
You can easily add them to the War3 MPQs, just like you do here. :)

Renendaru

Reaction score
Where is 'CustomKeysSample.txt' anyway?

Renendaru

Reaction score
It's supposed to be into your WarcraftIII directory.
Why not say this for the people who don't frequent their folder. :p

Renendaru

Reaction score
As Wolfie also said, tone down on colors and et cetera. Right now your tutorial looks like a mass of letters or what's called "a wall of text."

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations on ignoring basically everything that has been said.

Renendaru

Reaction score
Sorry for posting again, but here's some input. Make it look friendlier. Right now it looks like some complicated process.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Graveyarded, because there's a more elaborate tutorial already on the same subject.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.