Custom models, skins and icons?

Should I keep the custom models, skins and icons in my map, making the size over 2mb?

• Yes, just keep them and host DL only to let people download it.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No, your map would be more popular if it would download faster.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well, I was just wondering. My map (TIHD, see here and of course my avatar) is about 1,7mb in its current state, and will probably be a little over 2mb at 1.00 if I keep going for custom stuff. So, do you think I should use the custom stuff or not? People at battle.net say I should either remove them or host it DL only a lot, otherwise you have to wait for everybody to dl before you can start the game, and that takes a very long time in some cases :).

Sargon

Reaction score
Grurf said:
Well, I was just wondering. My map (TIHD, see here and of course my avatar) is about 1,7mb in its current state, and will probably be a little over 2mb at 1.00 if I keep going for custom stuff. So, do you think I should use the custom stuff or not? People at battle.net say I should either remove them or host it DL only a lot, otherwise you have to wait for everybody to dl before you can start the game, and that takes a very long time in some cases :).

I like the custom stuff. Keep it.

2 MB isn't that bad. Also, have you done all the compressing you can? Do you have custom sounds? Skins? Models? Which?

Penguin-

Reaction score
definately keep it.

2mb isnt that bad, and theres nothing worse than loading up a new map and seeing all the old models with nothing custom and original :D

Well, thats what i think. :)

Peng-

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Keep the custom stuff

If it take to much to load you can always get a program that makes it alot faster to load like DotA (Icefrog) did.

Korolen

New User (Why do I keep getting those red bars?)
Reaction score
Hell, when n00bs try to make save codes in the GUI, it turns out to be about 3 megs of:
Code:
function Load_The_Code_01928417273 takes nothing returns nothing
    if not <Whatever> then
        return false
    endif
    return true
endfunction
-------- Whatever --------
Code:
if Load_The_Code_01928417273() then
    <Do whatever>
endif

I'm not kidding. I extract the JASS to try to break varios codes, and I have to sort through this stuff. Tedious.

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well, it's quite clear what ya all think of it (80+% says to keep the custom stuff at the moment) so I think I'll just keep it, use a 128x128 map preview, compress all the blps to the max etc. I do not have custom sounds (yet) but I think they would take up too much space. Thanks for voting!

B

BlizzScripts

gurf the models imported are realy important :)
and 2mb is just fine;.. until your map have a great history :)

T

TOC_Cid

I would say, try not to make it go above 3mb. I voted no because feedback from some of my games with custom came out a little rude.

ie: @%#! you! Make the DL shorter you nub!

Pyromancer

Reaction score
no, you can just use a map optimizer. also, when your all done, i think you could just convert it all to jass, and it would take up less space, but i dont know. koloren, i dont know what your talking about.......

und34d-rul3

Reaction score
i voted no because i usually dont like custom stuff

usually when there custom hereos/abils they either way too strong or way too bad. If all of your stuff is perfectly balanced then i guess its fine.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Custom stuff as in models, skins, sounds. Nothing to deal with abilitys or heroes. And they are balenced ive played.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.