Difference Between SetUnitPosition And SetUnitWhatever?

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Hello, can someone outline all differences between the SetUnitX/Y and the SetUnitPosition functions when dealing with movement? Thanks.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
SetUnitX/Y uses integers as arguments (the X and Y coordinates in a Cartesian axis system) while SetUnitPosition uses a point, if I'm not mistaken (that means a handle).

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
SetUnitX/Y does not interfere with the moved unit's orders, while SetUnitPosition will cancel any current order when moved.

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I heard that setunitx/y is smoother, but it will ignore doodads while setunitposition does not...is this true?

And smith, thanks for trying, but I already knew that...which is why I added the "when dealing with movement"

+rep larcenist

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Yes, SetUnitX/Y ignores pathing. It can also go off of the map and crash the game. Despite this, it's still better.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
As far as I know there is only one single difference between them.

SetUnitPosition() moves the unit, and then orders it to stop. A stop event even fires from SetUnitPosition. SetUnitX/Y does not issue any orders to the moved unit.

Issuing an order to a unit will make the game attempt to move all units within collision range to a free spot. It's the same for all orders. This is why it looks like SetUnitPosition checks for pathing when moving the unit. If you use SetUnitPosition to move a unit far inside a forest, it will still be stuck there if a vacant location cannot be found nearby.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
you can just add a collision check into the function which is really easy to do or a collision function that gets called before it is moved. i would not recommend ever moving a unit periodically using locations. using x and y coordinates requires less processing and also no locations having to be created and destroyed.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
SetUnitX + SetUnitY is also many times faster than SetUnitPosition

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.