digital camera/computer problem

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
ok, so we just bought a digital camera (a Canon Powershot SD800 IS) and when i plugged it into my computer for the first time to transfer some photos i ran into a few problems. as soon as the computer recognized that the camera was there and tried to install the software needed to allow transfers (you know, the found new hardware thing) it ran into an error and said that the installation was unsuccessful and that the hardware may not work properly. i then unplugged all the connections and restarted my computer. once again i tried to plug the camera back in, but this time no new hardware detected thing popped up so i was still unable to transfer the photos. i then went into the Add New Hardware thing under the control panel and when i found the digital camera component it had a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. upon clicking on it i got this error: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)" so i followed the instructions which said to restart my computer, but im still unable to get the new hardware detected thing to pop up again. so is there any way to force the computer to recognize that the camera is there and set it up properly?

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
Remove the incomplete driver (the yellow exclamation).

Then:

Install the software first, DO NOT plug the camera in.
After installation, plug the camera in. It should detect it and run.

Plan B:
Card reader...? :D

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
ok i tried what you said but my computer is still saying that the installation failed and that the hardware may not work properly. so im not quite sure what to do. also, i do have a card reader (forgot about it until after i finished the first post), so i guess i'll just use that and hope that other computers w/o a card reader successfully install the camera =P. well thanks for all the help and information.

H

hippieholgy

I would try to uninstall the camera first.
If you go to the control panel. There should be something like System, Hardware, device manager (sorry about that, but I don't know the english version of WinXP)

Anyway you should get a list of devices, one of them should be your camera. (Propably with an exclamation mark)

By going to properties (right click), there should be one part called drivers.
There is a button to uninstall drivers, propably this will remove the faulty drivers. After a restart, you could try to reinstall the camera.

If this doesn't work, maybe you can download drivers from the homepage of the manufacturer (or maybe Microsoft?)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.