Dodge VS triggered damage

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I trigger damage by using the Event - Unit is attacked

If the attacked unit has some kind of dodge, let's say 30%, will the damage still apply?

I guess the real question is. Does Event - Unit is attacked recognize dodge?

Imp Midna

Reaction score
Dont think so. A unit is attacked doesnt even mean that it will actually attack the unit since you can still interrupt the action by giving another order, so considering doges at this point would be pointless.

Solu9

Reaction score
Hmm okay. I might have to scratch the idea then. Thanks for the answer.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
It does. Attacking a unit with 100% evasion still triggers the event.

Solu9

Reaction score
It does. Attacking a unit with 100% evasion still triggers the event.

Which means that "Event - Unit is attacked" does NOT recognize dodge. I take it's because the attacked unit is still attacked. Weather the attacked unit then dodges, explodes, turns pink is irrelevant since it was still "attacked".

Juggernaut

I don't know what to change it to
Reaction score
The event - unit is attacked checks when you start the attack.

So if you cancel the animation (actually not attacking, just starting attack)
The trigger will fire multiple times.
so no, evasion doesn't matter.

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can use Weeps GDD system to check if they unit takes
damage for your event, 'cause as far as I remember weep's system accounts for dodge

Solu9

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can use Weeps GDD system to check if they unit takes
damage for your event, 'cause as far as I remember weep's system accounts for dodge

Of course! Why didn't I think of that myself. Think I've got tunnelvision turned on my map. Thanks I'll try it out.

Imp Midna

Reaction score
I guess i dont see the problem correctly, but it seems like a halting problem to me.
Asuming your units do 0 damage and you trigger the damage on attack (which would be ugly some times) theres no need to use evasion since the damage unit function ignores evasion, so i dont think you do that.
If you want to know if the damage that the given attack would apply was blocked or not, you would face the good old halting problem waiting for the damage to come, hoping it comes from the attack and not from some delayed spell, getting problems if no damage comes in, having to decide between the attack beeing aborted or blocked, using a custom timeout value that is hard to determine and which has to be dependend of the attack speed beeing calculated or constantly determined using triggers since theres no function to get, and if the unit is ranged, the projectiles speed and the distance between the units plus the movement speed of the attacked unit asuming it's kiting from the projectile, relying on that extremly complex system. Year, i think it would cause minor problems ;)

ultimate11

Reaction score
There is no good way to handle evasion or dodge is wc3 system sience we have no funtion to catch the psihycal damage.U can use weep DDG wich is good to handle incoming damage etc but u cant recognize the type of damage so u cant know if damage is coming from a spell or a unit attack.
And back to your question: o that type of event noth recognize damage
ex: Paladin take damage is an event that recognize damage.Is a specific unit event.Try there.

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
I think there are advanced jass systems that can detect the damage type, but it involves setting all the damage types in jass and can get kinda messy unless you're good at jass

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.