RPG Downcast: Zombie Survival/Rpg Elements

Firedrake222

Reaction score
picture.php

Downcast; The three player zombie survival with rpg elements, inspired by Borderlands and Fallout

Downcast is a project I have been working on for about 1 month. This is the first map that I will be releasing on a public scale. I am looking for suggestions and criticism. I won’t need a team of any kind to help with the project. Im hoping this map will be slightly different than the ordinary.

-------------

Storyline
The map is about a massive infection that mutated most of the world’s population. With the military either converted or dead, the governments decided their only hope was to nuke their own countries. Hauling as many people they could into bunkers, the nukes drifted into the earth and exploded. The aftermath; a dusty barren wasteland covered in remnants of civilization….and zombies. The nukes had failed, and now humanity has to rebuild again.

picture.php

A player covers his Horse Companion as it collects some loot

The Map
The player takes the role of a human survivor, trying to earn a living in this new and harsh world. Not only will enemies drop random loot, but there are also jobs. Jobs take the role of ‘side quests’, and are replayable. They pay well, and there are many different kinds. You will need cash to buy new weapons, ammo types, armor, and equipment. Certain traders will also teach you new skills at a small price, so long as you have the experience to learn it. Of course, there is a main plot that will lead you to unique enemies and bosses, not all being zombies. As well as all this, there is a Save/load system.

picture.php

Life can not only be found in towns and settlements, but all over the ruins of the past

Phew, hope this looks ok :/ Remember, Im looking for helpful suggestions and constructive criticism. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the demo! [For those that do not know what Borderlands is, click: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PTmV9y1VoY]

-------------

picture.php

The demo version of the map is in Epicwar here: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/113243/ (filesize due to music). It has limited jobs, a patch of terrain taken from the actual map, and shows the mechanics of Downcast. Please, comments are needed! [Note: This is intended for single player use for bug and beta testing. It will function with 3 players, but is not recommended].

Firedrake222

Reaction score
Some small things I accidently left out of the demo:
>Dosn't warn players when someone leaves
>Dosn't remove non-playing Survivors
>No music on/off commands

I didn't know whether to keep the music in the demo or not, but its still there anyways. Sorry if it causes problems. And I advise again, playing with other people is not recommended.

Other things:
>Electric effect upon attacking an enemy only happens with a Player Survivor
>Shotguns require more balancing

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I will test soon. Story and theme sounds kinda like fallout. But, should be fun. Can't wait till the full thing comes out.

Firedrake222

Reaction score
I will test soon. Story and theme sounds kinda like fallout. But, should be fun. Can't wait till the full thing comes out.

Heh, its Fallout with zombies being the main enemies. Well, theres also another faction called the Rouges that use weapons, but firearm vs firearm in Warcraft requires not much tatics. At least with zombies you have to run away and dodge.

Thanks for the post :)

R 3 T R O

Reaction score
Feedback
I did like it. I loved the music. I loved all the items and customization, very creative it was fun but it would of been more fun with more people i was soloing and i found 2 problems.

Firstly is it got boring i think cause it was too easy. At the start of the game i killed my teammates sold their items and i killed the troops guarding the beginning base. Resulting in my hero was some sort of Special Op's unit becaouse i was so strong :). And last is if you pick up items quick enough you can have more than 1 amor type or more than one gun type look at the picture below.

Fun​
6.8/10
Original​
8/10
Creativity​
8/10
Gameplay​
6.5/10
Terrain​
4.5/10
Music​
9/10
Overall​
7.9/10

Firedrake222

Reaction score
Thanks for the review R3TRO! (Where did all that cash and xp come from in the picture? :D )

As I noted on my first post,I accidently left out the player removing trigger in the demo :O

Changes needed:
>Far better terraining ;) (Although, what else can you put in a wasteland?)
>Mercs (town guards) have higher hp and generally attack faster [And will have better equipment?]
>Items (Weapons/Armor) cost moar
>Item pick-up glitch
(Much content was left out of the demo, so there will be alot more to do in full version+main quests/missions)

Now, with the item trigger not working (being able to stack up more than one weapon etc), how can I change it? Its the wait 0.01 seconds where you can pick up other items (I tried doing this but never could stack items...how did you do it? xD), but without the wait the other trigger ('One Item') will run straight away.

Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit- Acquires an Item
    • Conditions
    • And - All [Conditions] are true
    • Triggering Unit equal to Red -- [Red being Player Red's Survivor]
    • Item class of item being manipulated equal to permanent -- [Weapons being permanent items]
    • Actions
    • Order red to stop
    • Wait 0.01 seconds
    • Trigger - Turn on One Item

Heres the trigger named 'One Item'
DropGlitch-1.png

How can I get it to work?
Oh yeah, the music track is 'Fallout 2 - Sanfransico'. Suits the theme :D

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
For terrain improvement, you could vary the tiles you see a bit. The second picture in your main post looks the most realistic out of all your terrain that I have explored. I would make all the towns/cities look more like this. Also, in the empty areas, try to vary the tiles a bit more.

Otherwise, nice game, hope you finish it.

Firedrake222

Reaction score
Joccaren:
For terrain improvement, you could vary the tiles you see a bit. The second picture in your main post looks the most realistic out of all your terrain that I have explored. I would make all the towns/cities look more like this. Also, in the empty areas, try to vary the tiles a bit more.

Otherwise, nice game, hope you finish it.

Thanks for testing it. Yeah, I though some of those areas looked a bit strange. I'll go back and change them around.

black.sheep:
The wait isn't exactly 0.01 seconds, its acturally varies.
You should use a timer instead.

Thanks, never looked at Countdown Timers before. Would something like this work ok?

Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit- Acquires an Item
    • Conditions
    • Item class of item being manipulated equal to permanent -- [Weapons being permanent items]
    • Actions
    • Order red to stop
    • Countdown Timer - Start ItemPickup as a one-shot timer that will expire in 0.01 seconds

Then...

Trigger:
  • Events
    • Time - ItemPickup expires
    • Conditions
    • None
    • Actions
    • Countdown Timer - Pause ItemPickup
    • Custom Script: call DestroyTimer(t[execItemPickup])
    • Trigger - Turn on 'One Item' [One Item trigger posted above somewhere]

Ah crap, I had to quit World Edit without saving, as it kept saying 'Script Error' it expected a name (named being turn on 'One Item'). What did I do wrong...? :/

EDIT: I think this would work just as well. It pauses you until the other trigger is turned on, hence removing any chance of you grabbing an item in the time.
Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit- Acquires an Item
    • Conditions
    • Actions
    • Order red to stop
    • Unit - Pause red
    • Wait 0.01 Seconds
    • Trigger - Turn on One Item
    • Unpause Red

Done.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.