EVGA GeForce GTX 465 1GB SC or GTX480 1.5GB SC

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
I got a new video card, the EVGA GeForce GTX 465 1GB SC (Superclocked).

Since my uncle owns the shop, he said I could return it, and he'll just take it, because he gave me two options, keep the one I have, or give it to him, and take the EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked 1536 MB DDR5.

Well, I'll have to pay a little extra for the second one, but will the EVGA 465 be enough to handle Starcraft 2 on all graphics maxed?

Price isn't a problem, I just want my graphics maxed. Thanks! :D

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Go for the GTX 480 if you can handle the heat and energy draw, the GTX 465 should do fine, but the 480 is better.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
Personally I would get a GTX 460 1GB as it outperforms the GTX 465 most of the time yet uses less power. The GTX 460 1GB would be able to easily handle SC2 maxed on a resolution of 1920x1200 or lower. The 480 would be better than them both but it would also drastically increase your power bill.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
also make sure your CPU is fast enough to run sc2 at high settings, sc2 is pretty cpu-intensive as well

and from this, the 460 can run sc2 at ultra and 4x AA and 1920 x 1080 with 19 minimum FPS, the 465 is a similar speed only with higher power usage, and a SC edition would be slightly faster

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure the new CPU I'm going to buy to replace my old i7 800-something will be enough, the i7 980X, they said it's pretty fast, and it's new?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> replace my old i7 800-something will be enough, the i7 980X

Those two don't even use the same socket. The 8xx CPUs use an 1156 socket while the 9xx CPUs use a 1366 socket. So unless you're planning on buying a new motherboard....
In either case, if you already have an 8xx CPU, there is no reason to "upgrade." That's already top-of-the-line stuff. What do you need to upgrade for at that point?

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I should have said replace the whole thing, anyway, thanks for all your advice, too late to back out now, XD, cause I have to give my other computer to my brother.

So I should not have ordered that new CPU? Oh well, at least I won't have to replace it anytime soon.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> So I should not have ordered that new CPU?

Well, if you're buying the motherboard and RAM to go with it....
Personally I think that the 980X is a MASSIVE waste of money considering that for one third the price you can get a 930 which is the same architecture (though somewhat less power efficient) and clock-for-clock delivers much of the same performance. Especially considering that in terms of per-core speed, nothing that AMD has can wholly defeat the Core i5 750 - and this is a 9xx series chip. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.