Fatal Error from too Many Graphics?

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
Recently, I have been encountering fatal errors in CHA, and went through all of the normal stuff. I had about 30 reports to sift through, and sadly, there was no connecting theme. With over 300 triggers, I cannot turn them off and test each one. However, because it isn't caused by a specific trigger, that would be a waste anyway.

So, my question is...
Can having too many graphics going on at the same time cause a fatal error?
OR
Can having too many triggers firing at the same time cause a fatal error?

^^Those are the only two things that most of the fatal errors have in common. I have a handful of graphic intense spells, and in many cases, if there is a huge 6v6 fight going on, with spells being thrown everywhere, and someone hits one of these skills, it *might* cause a crash. this doesn't always happen though, and the problem doesn't pop up very often in smaller games. The larger the game, the more things happening, the higher the chance of the crash.

so, again, any help would be nice,
Can having too many graphics going on at the same time cause a fatal error?
OR
Can having too many triggers firing at the same time cause a fatal error?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Depends on your computer. If WC3 is asking too much of your computer, it may freeze up. Though, I'm not actually sure if it would fatal. I'm thinking it would just say "Not Responding" and close.

Common things that cause fatals:

Infinite Loops
Broken Models
Broken Code (Using player 16, -1 etc)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i doubt you would ever get a fatal error for graphics, and if too many triggers fire at once the programm will simply cut them and stop but no error will pop up.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Accname, actually if too many triggers try to fire at the same time, the program will freeze if there aren't enough resources to run said triggers.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
well, most likely there will be enough since there is a hardcoded max limit for GUI trigger code running. if the code is too long it will just be cut. maybe this doesnt count for jass though.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
I destroy 100% of my leaks, so it cant be from leaks. Most of my coding is also in GUI. I have encountered problems with having too many triggers run at a time, and some of them simply don't fire. I managed to fix all of those.

With 1 of the problems, there was a bug, causing a loop; however, that was only in 1 of the games, part of a skill; without that skill, they still occasionally happen, having no common theme, as stated above; aside from a lot of spells and trigger being flung at the same time.

It isn't a single persons computer causing the crash, because everyone in the game gets the fatal error at the same time.

I have very few imports in my map, and they have been there for well over a year, and about 100,000 public games in that time, without problems. So, I doubt models are the problem. I also don't use any transformation skills.

I will check to see if anything somehow references a non-normal player value...

Also, I don't know how much anyone knows about widgetizer, but I have read... dozens of cases of it corrupting things while widgetizing, leading to game crashes later.

I only widgetize units, items, and upgrades. I keep placed objects, keep triggered references, and object refs, and clean SLK, custom key resist, and i log references. A very basic set of widgetizations, IMO...

I will look into what I can from the list above. However, back on the topic of graphics, there is no way, say, even if 4000 graphics were to trigger in a second, that it could only occasionally cause the game to overload?

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
well, yeah, but the few that cannot be destroyed arent enough to cause a crash as early as 5 minutes into a game. It is what, just some player groups or unit groups that cannot be completely destroyed, right? If they were to build up, there would be progressively more lag, until it reached it's breaking point, not something leading from a lagless game to an insta-crash.

still looking into an endless loop... Maybe a loop that leaks too much in half a second could crash it? assuming leaks are cleaned at the end of the loop?

Bankde

Reaction score
I'm not sure but too many graphics bring me the blue screen error, not fatal error. Yep, it may come from triggers and also check others, too. (I've once experienced fatal error from editing too much melee object in object editor (It didn't come from trigger because that time I didn't know to use trigger yet))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.