File Name Length Limit

MasterOfRa

Reaction score
I have noticed that if a map file name is too long, it doesn't show up in game. This wouldn't be a problem if all map file names were short enough, but lots of people add to their map names long version numbers and other stuff that makes it too long. since there is no way to make them use shorter names, is there a way to allow warcraft 3 to see those file names?

I can't simply modify the file names after downloading them, because if i do that, when i host it on battlenet, if people who join have the map under a different file name, they will download the map, and likely think it is hacked because they already have one.

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The path name is obviously not that long, then. Are you using a different language in-game than what the map's filename uses?

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I've noticed this before where one of my folders shows none of the maps inside. Try moving the affected map files to different folders.

MasterOfRa

Reaction score
I have solved this problem, and the only reason I am reposting it is because i don't believe very many people know about it.

Warcraft 3 can only see maps that follows a certain condition. The file path from the warcraft 3 folder of the map cannot exeed a certain value, I do not know what this value is, but I suspect it is 64. (a file path is like " E:\Warcraft III\Maps\Download\Other\Abyss Gates.w3x ", although i believe that it starts counting from the "Maps\")
In the case a map file does not show up, move it to a lower folder, so that the path is shorter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.