Finding Server NAmes for WinSCP

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Finding Server Names for WinSCP (Unsolved again)

I downloaded WinSCP because I want to transfer a few files from my friend's computer over to mine. I've used the program before (getting files back and forth between a U of M campus and where I was staying), but I was given the host name for use. How do I find out the host name of a personal computer in order to transfer files with WinSCP?

Thanks,
ZT

EDIT: I'm still a bit confused - how would I format the text in the Host name and User name fields to access it?

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Ask the person you want to transfer the files from to send you the public IP address of his computer. For home networks, it works best if port-forwarding is correctly set up to send TCP port 22 to that computer.

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Alright, thanks. :D

+rep

EDIT: I'm still a bit confused - how would I format the text in the Host name and User name fields to access it?

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Hostname:
or:
[NOPARSE]www.my.site.com[/NOPARSE]

Port:

Username:
my_login

Password:
keep_it_secret

CaptDeath

Reaction score
these are all free and fairly user freindly
and at most require your email but they dont spam the s*** out of you cause i use these
another option would be a Svn Client such as
Toroise SVN
and a Svn Host site such as
https://opensvn.csie.org/
i strongly suggest the above cause its a shell extension[as in you use it by right clickng files]
or a file host such as
Mediafire
I do to knwo what it means
And what SVN stands for

A Dictionary Definition
Subversion (SVN) is a version control system initiated in 2000 by CollabNet Inc. It is used to maintain current and historical versions of files such as source code, web pages, and documentation. Its goal is to be a mostly-compatible successor to the widely used Concurrent Versions System (CVS).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.