Foretell

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Hey, all. This is a story that is FAR from complete. I'm posting it here because I'd love a) some feedback, and b) some motivation to keep going.

Since there are quite a few chapters, I've broken them down into spoilers.

enjoy!

Dark times were coming to the continent of Veras. Everyone knew it. Even humans, mortals with no sense of magic without years of intense training could tell. It was a world set to crash. But no prophet could tell how, and no oracle could tell why, no shaman could tell when. Nor could an agreement be reached.
Alas, a gnome was correct.

“When the Season of Songs feels a chill night and the moon falls, then will the evil rise to be felled by one born of ill-timing.”
“Blech! Whassat mean?”
“Uh – well…” the female gnome stuttered, “it means what it means. The interpretation is in the meaning.”
The man, who had risen after hearing his fortune, teetered dangerously, with the diminutive and hapless gnome slowly moving in, claiming guardianship over her crystal ball. “That’s garbage, useless!” He stumbled out.
Keeran, obviously relieved by the drunk’s departure, sighed a deep breath and calmly focused on the ball again. What did the reading mean? How did it apply to some drunk? Keeran stared hard into the crystal ball, but the haze she had seen moments earlier was gone, the abhorrent face in the mist that had frozen her little, rapidly beating heart was gone with it. What was the Season of Songs? Why was it so familiar, and why so important? And why the drunk? A sane person would have seen that reading as more than a fortune. That was an omen.
Her attention was drawn by a light plopping noise and she looked up. Something had fallen on top of her tent. And it was moving.

The drunk, William McTagard, stumbled out of the purple-and-yellow fly tent and back out into the streets of Hayden. The county fair was a jumbled blaze of firelights and twistedly comedic visages, peasants dancing in masks, lutes and stringed instruments bellowing their merry tunes.
William ignored all of this. He wanted to go home. Or at least get somewhere near home and pass out. He half-decided to take a familiar shortcut through an alley. He ambled along, his vision a blurry mess. He could see the light at the end of the passage.
A soft noise came from behind him. He turned resignedly around to see what it was, but instead only saw the entrance and heard the fading sounds of the carnival.
When he turned back to continue along, there stood before him a black figure.
He had armor the shade of a midnight sky, trimmed in a glossy onyx that gave way and coincided with the shadows hidden around him. He wore no mask, but had on a helm that pincered inward to his mouth, granting a vertical slit with which the figure’s lips and the bridge of his nose could be made out. The figure’s eyes were hollow, and he donned a midnight blue helix that came to a sharp point after only a single circulation, glyphed in the center of his chestpeice.
“Whu –”
“The omen was correct.”
“Wha –”
William McTagard was sliced from the brim of his tattered hat to the tip of his groin in a single movement so fast that William could not have registered the imminent attack if he were sober. The sword that rent the man was flicked in a gesture; blood spattered on the cobblestone walkway and some, too, on the bricked building beside the blade. With a quick wipe along his black cloak and an inexorable nod of satisfaction, the mysterious assassin of William McTagard sheathed his sword and blended back into the shadows with but a whisper, “the omen was correct.”

Chapter 1 - Of the Gifted Children
It was an unexpected birth. But alas, seven years, two months and seventeen days after the omen of the gnome Keeran Whistlebender, which had become Keeran’s Foretell to the populace, in the farthest reaches of the West, in the well-hidden elven village of Dainshire, the child known as Shaelildrian was born to Archillea Terrasil. In a village of only four hundred, a birth unknown to the masses was a very big ordeal. As it were, unpredicted.
But most unexpected of all was the birth to Archillea herself, for she had not been a pregnant woman the very day before. She found herself awakened in the middle of the night beside her husband, Doradus, screaming in the pains of labour. The screams were such to awaken the quiet village and gather them in pools at the door of the Terrasil house.
The Terrasils, Archillea and Doradus, were not of the wealthier class within the town. They were not poor by any means; Doradus was a hard-working craftsman, assisting in the construction of all houses built in the area. Doradus himself had lovingly built their house; it was two floors, mahogany with a lighter trim and an arched roof that, at its zenith, had a carved gryphon mounted atop it. Similar beasts were symmetrically aligned at the lowest points of the roof.
All houses in Dainshire, nae, in all elven cities, were built with the same architectural styles; the roofs were all arched inward, so as to produce a top point; all windows were ovular, with the longer side vertically inclined; most had balconies on the second floor, with intricately carved dowels lining the railings. The elves never made use of the ‘porch’ that humans seemed to love so much. The elves hid their gutters with stylized designs and weavings in wooden channels, carrying the rainwater around the sides of the house and into the backyard, usually into a pool or a channel leading elsewhere.
The Terrasil house had all of the above (except, of course, the porch), although the ideal thing to have on that blustery, chill night would have been some form of soundproofing. The wails of Archillea were heard far and wide. All residents of Dainshire had gathered before the house, with several of the elder villagers preparing to enter and do what they could.
“Out of my way! Move aside!” an elf of larger-than-average ears (which came to a point at their end, as with all elves), sharp eyes and an ever-grim expression made his way through the crowd faster than it would part for him. He had a role to perform. He threw open the front door, stared out at the citizens for a moment, and then slammed it behind him.
Within a half-hour, Seldras, the High Druid of Dainshire, had performed the birth with the ease a magic-user always has. He stepped onto the balcony of the second floor in his glittery, earthen-toned robes and proclaimed, “A child has been born this night. A male.” A male who did not cry at birth, but only gazed on with a sense of wonder at the world around him. Not one sound. Seldras hadn’t had time to reflect upon this, but an all-too-mortal shiver crept up his spine when the boy gazed up at him.
The citizens below naturally reacted with a sense of surprise at first, then outrage at their misinformation of Archillea’s pregnancy, then worry; elves could only conceive children during the Season of Songs – it was an event which took place in secrecy only once every ten years. It had been a mere three years since the last, and additionally, the pregnancy of an elven woman lasts for five months, with notable signs present during the fourth month. Could Archillea hide a child so well?
“The child’s name, as proclaimed by Archillea Terrasil, is Shaelildrian Terrasil. The matter at hand is grave, but the child is healthy, and to current, we’ve no reason to fear conspiracy. The matter will be looked into.” With that, he stepped upon the balcony’s railing with one foot and over the railing into thin air with the other. As if on cue, a root sprang from the earth a storey below, sending many citizens back several feet. The root formed a step. As Seldras continued down the steps, the root split into a second head, then a third, then a fourth, and so on until the ground was reached. Then the multi-headed tendril pulled itself back under, leaving only a hole so small that only a child’s hand could fit within.
At the bottom, calmly, without the booming voice and commanding presence he’d possessed atop the balcony, Seldras said, “the matter will be looked into,” then, when nobody moved, he snapped and flailed his arms, “go home!”
The citizens scattered.
“Sir?” a shy voice came from behind.
Seldras turned, “what?”
A young elven woman stood before him with a look of grave concern in her eyes, accompanied by a man with the same expression, one arm around his partner’s far shoulder, the other laid upon her arm. “Sir, we’ve news.”
“What news?” his voice was impatient.
The elven woman placed her hand upon her belly, her eyes never leaving the High Druid’s.
Seldras’ eyes widened, staring at her belly. Yes. Now that the crowd was dispersing, he could tell. Three lives stood before him. This woman was pregnant as well.
“How?” his voice was scathing with rage.
“We don’t know,” said the wife, looking down to avoid the piercing gaze of the High Druid.
“How could you conceive?”
“She said we don’t know,” said the husband, trying to remain as passive as possible. He didn’t wish to make Seldras any more bitter.
“Lunacy!” Seldras spat. He stormed off without another word.
The woman, Arieanna, and her husband, Ialanis, had no choice.
Ialanis left his wife’s side and began trudging back to their home. “Come on, Arieanna. He won’t help us.”
“Yes, he will,” Arieanna replied to her husband. She stood still, watching the flowing garb of their High Druid as he slowly disappeared into the night. “He already has, and I don’t think he fully knows it.” Arieanna watched from the distance as a similar root came loose from the earth and elevated the High Druid to a point near the top of a tree, where a small lantern could be seen glowing a faint shade of green near the peak.
“What do you mean?”
“By telling us that we aren’t alone,” Arieanna gazed almost dreamily in the direction of the birthplace of Shaelildrian. “If he wanted the birth to be a secret, he could have concealed it.”
“Maybe your right, darling. Just maybe. Come, we should get off the street.”

Once the root that Seldras had beckoned from the earth had taken him to the hidden entrance to his home (not even the elves of Dainshire knew, but a section of the bark on the far side of Seldras’ tree concealed the true entrance; the house was simply a smoke-and-mirrors trap for greedy, magic-hungry intruders), he paused only a moment. The presence of at least three others joined him in the room.
“Come forth.”
Seldras moved to the next room and sure enough, three images stood. One, a woman, holding a straight staff with a purple raven, smooth like ivory, idolized atop it; the second, an elderly man with a long beard and a gnarled walking stick held at waist-height; the third, a young elf with blond hair, sharp eyes and his hands at his sides. All wore the same glittery, earthen robes and were translucent, as their physical forms were miles away in different directions.
The images were mental projections of the other High Druids in Veras. Each guarded their own cities and kept the peace among their people. The High Druids were also charged with passing on the Druid Lore, a much-sought text and set of teachings that enabled the elves to command the forces of nature. No other race had ever found the knowledge. Alas, when something happened to one High Druid, the others were always involved.
“You’ve heard. News travels fast,” said Seldras.
“We have,” said the old man.
“Indeed,” proclaimed the young one.
“We have come,” said the woman.
“Who is this child?” asked Seldras. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”
“Something, in fact, that the Gods are not telling us,” said the old man.
“What do you mean?”
“Explain, Gerriallil,” commanded the woman.
Gerriallil, an elf of many winters, began to speak in a dusty voice, “we have reason to believe that a demigod has impregnated a woman of your kin. Farfetched though it does sound, it is not unheard of. Why, my father was one of a demigod; Hylius was his name, a demigod of life, in the pools of Evertide. We thought nigh of such a possibility, thought that conspiracy was afoot, but surely, when he reached a rightful age, my father began healing miraculously. When a demigod selects a rightful suitor with which to bear a child, the woman carrying such an infant should not be scorned, but exalted. Though to mark the difference, my father was still born to the cycle. Perhaps, if a demigod had selected Shaelildrian to be born, it was imperative he was born when he was?”
Seldras thought for a moment, at which time the youngest member of their council, Linnitael, spoke up, “the woman is a tramp. She and her child should be strung high for the town to see. What an embarrassment. Why do you waste your time in Dainshire?”
“She is no tramp. She has been a faithful and loyal servant of our village, offering her hand even prior this day, and prior to giving birth. You will not speak such words in my chamber. And I waste my time here because Lord Shellihn ordered it. No further reason will be given to you, Linnitael.”
Linnitael scowled in his translucent form, noticeably, but did not carry on. If the orders of the Lord of the Elves, Shellihn, were in Seldras’s hands, there was no use arguing.
Forygia, the woman, spoke, “if Gerriallil speaks the truth, then we shall not wane from his belief.” She spoke with some doubt. “As Lord Shellihn commands it, so shall it be. Perhaps he knows what we do not. I will seek his council on the morrow, but as of now require rest. I suggest the very same for us all. Adieu.” Her image faded away, followed in moments by Linnitael’s, his fierce expression unchanged.
Seldras turned from his council chamber, when the aged, dusty voice of Gerriallil turned him back, “oh, Seldras.”
“Yes?”
“Remember the prophecy. Remember Keeran’s Foretell.”
“When the Season of Songs feels a chill night and the moon falls, then will the evil rise to be felled by one born of ill-timing.”
“Yes.”
“When will there be a chill Season of Songs? The event is mid-spring. And when will the moon fall?”
“A lesson I’ve learned in all my old age, child of the woods, is that time will tell all things. The hourglass contains the grain of sand that will raise this evil. When this grain will fall is not my decision, nor is it yours. Walk through the shadows with time. Shed light where you can. And keep Shaelildrian safe.”
“Gerriallil, there is something else.”
“What is that, young one?”
“A second child.”
Gerriallil’s expression was solemn, but the dread could be seen in his subtle movements – his eyes lit up with dread. “What?”
“In the belly of another villager. At least three months along.”
“This matter will need to be investigated. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Get rest, child. These next weeks shall be eventful.”

Seven years, two months and seventeen days after the omen of Keeran Whistlebender, and exactly three years after the last Season of Songs, Shaelildrian was born. At the time of Shaelildrian’s birth, only one other child had been present in Dainshire.
Naeanin Windsong.
Naeanin’s birth, given the nature of Keeran’s Foretell and its reference to the Season of Songs, had been the most protected birth in all of Dainshire’s history. Elven patrols had been enlisted to come and protect Dainshire; it had been the same with Sylael, Verin Vessa, Verin Quotos, and Varian, the main elven towns and cities throughout the land. The roads that they once guarded were left defenseless, and how lucky it was that no attacks took place.
Very few children were conceived in this Season of Songs; the worry and angst of the event led very few even to conception.
The Windsongs, Olidus and Nae, were political advisors to Lord Shellihn, and as such had a very lucrative estate in Dainshire, as well as a personal guard that doubled the defenses of the town itself.
Naeanin was therefore raised with the sort of propriety that a wealthy family always provided, and as such was a rare sight to see, though her birth was a town-wide celebrated event that Olidus held in the center of Dainshire.
Naeanin stayed out of sight, out of mind, and out of trouble. It was the proper thing for an elven lady to do. But having none other around for her to talk to, what with her family away as they were, left her unwell in ways that her family would never truly come to realize.

The day after Shaelildrian’s birth, Forygia made her appearance before the Lord of the Elves, Shellihn. Being the High Druid of the capital city, Sylael, she was naturally closest.
His council hall was in the highest tree of Sylael, very long, and everything was made of marble; marble archways led down the length of the hall, supported by marble columns and backed by great marble walls with cathedral windows, which flooded vast rays of light upon the marble floor. Each column was marked by the Elven Elite, a group of specialized warriors that fought with Sunblades – magically enchanted swords with elongated hilts that glowed bright green when malevolence was about, as well as several other powerful dweomers known only to those that had suffered their wrath, and only for as long as mercy allowed – this was never more than a few seconds. The back of the room was semispherical, with Shellihn’s throne mounted directly in the center up a small flight of marble stairs. He was a very powerful figure, humble as it were, but he did not trust Forygia.
She kneeled before him on the platform several steps below his throne. He was not sitting upon it, but rather, pacing.
“My Lord.”
“Seldras has sent the news. It arrived by owl carrier early this morning.”
A tinge of jealousy spun about Forygia. Shellihn caught it all.
“Are we alright with this, Forygia, High Druid of Sylael?”
“Of course, my Lord.”
The Lord of the Elves was not crowned so without years of service to the elven community. Shellihn had been the High Druid of Verian before Forygia had taken his place as he advanced to the throne; in fact, he had seen a full Season over Gerriallil (making him thus ten years older, since the Season of Songs happens only in this timeframe), though he had not succumbed to the same quasi-senile fate as his old friend.
Being as venerable as he was also made him as powerful a spellcaster as any headmaster of any school of the arcane arts, and certainly moreso than any other spellcaster in employment anywhere (battlemages in gladiator arenas, warmages in armies, and spellwarders, to name a few, boasted no challenge to the High Lord); of course, his craft was considered exotic, so in ways, he had advantages that such magic-users could only dream about.
“Good. Then what news do you bring me?”
“I only wish to seek your council, my Lord.”
“My council regarding the birth of this child and the birth to come, I presume?”
“Yes, my Lord.” Forygia was quick to respond to this but had no idea what ‘birth to come’ Shellihn was referring to. Another, greater tinge of jealousy swam in Forygia’s blood.
“I pace because as of yet, my thoughts have not come through to comprehend this. I have seen thirty-four Seasons of Song, High Druid, and yet never in that time has something of this magnitude happened. The people demand an explanation, and I can tell them nothing. I have my best diviners attempting communications with whatever Gods will hear our pleas for answers, but that is truly all I can do.” He continued pacing a moment longer, and then stopped and turned to her, “and why do I tell you this? Regardless of whatever talents you possess as a High Druid, you are not yet in a position to seek my council. There is nothing more I can tell you, Forygia.”
Something snapped in Forygia then, only for but a moment, because the Sunblades of the nearest six guards along the columns flashed only for a moment, springing to life the statuesque regiment with prying eyes about the room. “Thank you, my Lord.” She rose from the kneel, her glittery robes trailing behind her along the floor, and stopped for a moment before the first set of guards, who were still prone and ready for action. As if on cue, all of the Elven Elite snapped their Sunblades up and then slammed them to the marble floor, sending a single harsh, echoing note about the room.
And Forygia continued on her way, heart in the utmost wrong place.
“Kai-Thul,” Shellihn whispered, so softly that even the closest Elven Elite with their keen ears were none the wiser.
Water began to condensate upon the throne just behind the head of Shellihn, so rapidly that within seconds it had formed a translucent face with eyes as blue as the ocean. Shellihn had only to whisper to the doppelganger’s puppet.
“Follow her. Make sure we know where she’s going.”
As noiselessly as it had come, the face became a puff of vapor that disappeared into the marble rafters of the Lord of the Elves’s chamber.
Once out of sight, Shellihn sighed. He hated that it had come to this. And even moreso, he feared for that which was both ahead of him, and behind him.

Two months later, from the front door of Ialanis’ and Arieanna’s house, Seldras once again came forth, announcing the birth of a baby girl, perfectly healthy. She was also perfectly silent, as Shaelildrian was. A second child of no tears, just fascination at the very things that all people take for granted. The citizens of Dainshire became even more engrossed in the mystery; how were these children being born? Seldras thought he knew; but demigods were a rare sight, let alone to come so close to civilization. He would surely sense such presence; how could this be?
Seldras had been in extremely close contact with Archillea and Doradus as to Shaelildrian’s health, condition, and development. He was, as of yet, an average child. Maybe a conspiracy was afoot. The child had no special abilities. Alas, two months was too soon to tell, but Seldras’ mind was corrupted by this being; a seed had been planted by Gerriallil’s warnings months ago, and it had sprouted to a tree, each leaf another worry.
When Archillea brought Shaelildrian to see Alenea (children birthed of the same generation were raised among each other, to nurture social development), something happened. The pair, one just over two months old, the other, only a little over a day, stationed in a well-crafted crib, stared at each other, eyes wide. It was as though they found one another to be the greatest wonders of the world. Upon this breaking of contact, the two children began to wail. The mothers could not calm their children except to bring them to the same presence. Ialanis immediately rushed to see Seldras and brought the High Druid back to witness the event himself.
Upon arrival, the two prodigal infants were seen sleeping with one another in the crib. Archillea decided that it would be enough and carefully took Shaelildrian from Alenea’s side. The child became squeamish for a moment but soon regained composure in sleep. Seldras frowned at having been disturbed and Ialanis left to walk him back to his roost.
Upon Alenea’s awakening, Arieanna expected the worst; fortunately, the child made not a sound. Arieanna felt a staggering relief, but couldn’t help wondering what had triggered the outburst of emotion in the first place.
And then happened the first sign of many terrors to come for Arieanna.
The crib that Alenea was in had a small mobile, a carousel of brightly coloured animals, carved by her father; Alenea’s gaze wandered upon it and it began turning. A slow, steady, cool breeze ran by Arieanna and she noticed the mobile. Her breath ran out.
The breeze was unnatural. The mobile was spinning from some other force. Arieanna slowly moved out of the room and then began breathing again, rapidly, with fear. The child, born yesterday, was learning magic. The child, born yesterday, was learning magic. Either that, or an awful prank. But whom? Seldras was the only known magic-user in the entirety of the village. The only one present, anyhow; one of the other elvish families in the town had a child born the season before last who was in attendance at one of the arcane institutions, but the boy would not be back for many months, still.
In a village of Dainshire’s size, a magic-user would have to instead move on to the city of Varian for training; when they became talented, Sylael, or a human city. As it was with all fighters and mages. None stayed. This meant that, in the event that Alanea was in fact the culprit behind the mobile’s rotation, neither would Alenea. In silent contemplation, Arieanna thought about this. It wouldn’t be so bad. And then her thoughts rewound back over their old quarrels.
How could she conceive? It was far from the Season of Songs. Nothing made sense, and facts mixed with possibility whirled about her with such mental rapidity as to force her to her knees, in tears.
“Arieanna?” Ialanis had returned. “Arieanna?”
“I’m in here.”
Ialanis stood in the wooden doorframe, which was carved beautifully with swirling oak wood, then rushed to the aid of his wife, “why have you fallen? Are you alright?”
“Did you not see our daughter?”
Ialanis helped Arieanna to her feet and the two stepped into the next room, were Alenea’s crib was.
The mobile had completely stopped moving. All that was left was a gurgling baby, waiting to have an after-nap snack.
“What is it, Arieanna?”
She hesitated.
“Arieanna?”
“Nothing,” she looked at her husband and smiled softly, “nothing at all.”

Chapter Two – The Season of Songs
Seven years passed. The mysteries surrounding the births of both children, despite many types of council with between the High Druids and even the Lord, remained unsolved, but the pressures surrounding the answers had ceased considerably.
Arieanna had no need to confess her daughter’s powers to her husband – he found out soon enough. Ialanis was docile about it, considering all that had happened involving the conception; there was no sense in worrying about whether or not Arieanna was finding love in another man’s arms; throughout his wife’s pregnancy, it had never been a concern. Arieanna couldn’t possibly cheat. And why would she?
Ialanis was the village bowyer, and the only one of repute within fifty miles. Humans and elves and even some dwarves came to have bows crafted. He provided a lovely life for himself and his wife, and they possessed one of the greatest estates in Dainshire. Bowcrafting was an art to Ialanis; it also served to distract him from the worries of having a child that may or may not be legitimate.
Shaelildrian and Alanea were the only two of the nearest generation; the only child born in the Season of Songs prior, Naeanin, was rarely seen. It was rumoured that she was privately tutored. And so Shaelildrian and Alanea grew together. They learned to read and write together, and even practiced swordfighting together. Shaelildrian always won, except when he let Alanea have the honours. The two were an excellent dueling pair.
They also had practiced extensively with junior bows that Ialanis had made for them. In that, Shaelildrian had never lost to Alanea. Of course, it was never a competition, but Shae was always closer to the target than his friend. Always. In truth, he loved is bow as his most valued possession. He had named it Flicker.
At his age, Shaelildrian was the farthest thing from a prodigy of any kind. His skin was as fair as his mother’s, his eyes, green, like his father, and his hair a golden brown that ran down just past his shoulders. All in all, he was – well, normal. That is, except for his shooting skills, to which he often received a watcher or two. He was by no means perfect, but he was, it seemed, quite talented for his size.
As for Alanea, a beautiful young elven girl with shorter-than average ears (the points came out just past the end of her skull), big, bright green eyes and fiery red hair around the same length as Shaelildrian’s, her capabilities seemed to slip as she grew, and as of her fourth year, had stopped altogether. The secret had been kept safe, much to the relief of Ialanis and Arieanna.
The Season of Songs came when they were seven. The town was aflutter with activity; lanterns, lights, dancing, music, wonder. The pre-generation, now just under twenty, were all back from their respective schools; elven children leave soon after their tenth birthday to pursue their arts. Most did not have the time to return during their educational tenures, so the Season of Songs was a time of wondrous reunion.
Those that had returned were engaged in marvelous activities – two woodcraftsmen whittled so quickly that it seemed almost as if the wood were smoking chips. When they both finished, they held up beautifully carved dolls, and the older generations roared in glee. There was also a swordsman who had taken to fighting against his father, one of the town guards, in an improvised ring. The swords smashed against each other and rang out with the rise and fall of the crowd. The child of magical prowess had chosen to craft through the element of water, and rose it magnificently from an urn placed on the ground, forming intricate shapes to impress the adults and animals to dazzle the elders. Shaelildrian was rushed through this fair by his father to the foot of Seldras’s tree, where Alanea was already waiting.
“Remember, Shae, what we talked about.”
Several days prior to the Season of Songs, Shaelildrian and his father had sat down and discussed potential career paths for Shae to take. Shaelildrian had been distracted by a bug on the windowsill and hadn’t paid all that much attention to the lecture. He gulped a little as he approached the High Druid.
Seldras took the children, cradled them in roots and brought them up to his home. They were the first visitors to Seldras’ house in many years, for children only come once to such a place, as eternal tradition dictates.
Upon the first Season of Songs that an elven child comes of age to, the day of the Festival of Songs, the children born in the last Season are sent for a private ceremony with their town’s respective High Druid (while the adults attend private ceremonies of their own) to become initiated into the elven clan and to dedicate themselves to a craft for the rest of their lives; the protectoral duties of the High Druids also included finding suitable registrations for such children.
It was a tradition in Elvish culture to, at a young age, decide what craft was best to be followed, in order to pursue the dexterous movements and meticulous artistic merits that elves are known for. If started young, the craft could be agelessly perfected.
Elves made excellent mercenaries throughout the lands for these reasons, often recruited as protectors of powerful diplomatic influences and mages. Elves were also excellent assassins, due to their natural affinity for stealth and balance, though it was uncommon for an elf to have such a negative demeanor towards other living things. This, combined with their excellent hearing and sight, also made them excellent spies; indeed, wars had been won and lost based on who was really in a room at a given time.
Alas, Elves also had a knack for wooden craftsmanship, far superior in quality and appearance to the humans, though there was something to be said for the industriousness of the construction; because everything had to be perfect, the process took far longer. Regarding bows and their bowyers, as Ialanis was, there were none finer than elvish fletchers in the entire known world.
Shaelildrian could not help but giggle as the root lifted him, whereas Alanea gripped the root that took her for dear life, looking down the entire time. Her bright green eyes had a flair of terror within them, which Shaelildrian noticed with an all-to-familiar sigh. When the roots reached the right level, the High Druid stood waiting. Shaelildrian hopped off and then assisted Alanea.
Seldras awaited them, a stern look on his always-scowling face. As soon as they were placed on the deck of the High Druid’s house, Seldras began walking around the deck, which ran in a planetary loop around the behemoth. When he got to the other side, with the kids in tail, another root emerged. Seldras motioned a hand and the children both climbed upon the magical elevator. The High Druid cast a very small incantation upon the children as their backs were turned; his home’s location was a well-guarded secret, and he couldn’t have them remembering this particular secret. Seldras followed them on and they were lowered to the true entrance of Seldras’ domain.
Upon entering, Shaelildrian felt a scintillating feeling coursing through his body, as though every vein within him had chilled over without a temperature change, and everything tingled. His breathing became laboured on inhaling and he felt no exhalation, though he knew the function was taking place. He edged his eyes to Alanea and saw that she was experiencing the same faults; her mouth hung somewhat slack due to the breathing problem.
“You’ll get used to that,” Seldras said, walking through a doorway and out of sight in a darkened room. Seldras knew the effects that anti-magical fields had on people; the first several times one experiences the entry of these powerful enchantments are not always pleasant. Some form of creaking emanated all around the room and the two looked behind them to see that the door was re-growing itself. They took hands in a mutual attempt to quell their fear of this place and moved into the room.
Elves were all born with an affinity to see in the dark to some degree; most could make out objects within ten feet of them; this came in handy as they followed the High Druid.
And there stood before them Seldras, accompanied by another child; Naeanin. Her blood was blue, and her hair, dark. Her eyes were dark, as well, making her face appear almost skeletal. Her lips seemed as though they had not smiled in years, and her skin as though she had rarely seen the sun. Because she was several years older, she was slightly taller than Shaelildrian, and substantially so over Alanea.
“You know Naeanin, don’t you, children?”
Shaelildrian and Alanea nodded slowly, unsure of whether or not to make pleasantries.
“Good. Then it’s time to get underway. Please, take a seat.”
Seldras moved to the back of the room, where there was a pedestal with a sheet draped over a spherical object. He whipped the sheet off, revealing an orb that glowed gently against the darkness of the room. Shaelildrian took the moment of light to look around, as his eyes hadn’t adjusted yet.
This room was much more ovular in shape than the last, like an egg, with strange glittering runes and markings lining the left and right walls, and a similar effect coming from the ceiling. The pedestal with the orb was on one side, and a long bench stretched nearly to the end of the room right by Shaelildrian’s feet took up most of the other side. The center of the room was bare, and spiraled inward against the wooden floor.
Naeanin took her seat in the middle, forcing Shaelildrian and Alanea apart.
Seldras spoke, his tone no longer stern, but grave. “Understand, children, that this ritual is ancient. You will speak to the spirit of a True Elf, as every generation has before you.”
Seldras began to speak in a deep tongue, unknown to the children. It flowed like lava from a river, almost sinister to the ear, burning, but at the same time, smooth, so smooth as to relieve the anxious children. He stopped after a moment, and then stared at the three. His stern voice seemed to fade and ripple as he spoke, as though he had become an entirely different force.
“Do you understand why you are here?” His voice had taken on the tone of a partly-submerged alligator. Shaelildrian and Alanea shook their heads, taken aback by the strange adjustment in his voice. Naeanin did not move, but only stared with resolute intentions on whatever cause had brought them there. Obviously, someone had told her about this ceremony.
“You are here to learn the history of our people, and seek your path among them. Your parents were here sitting before me long before you saw the earth’s light, and their grandparents before them, and so on. You are all linked to the earth through a deeper understanding than any specie on this earth, and the earth, in turn, will respect you, and love you. This is why we elves sometimes become druids. But there are many paths a young elf can take. Before you choose which path you walk on, you must understand why you are, how you are, and why you came to be.
“The elves once populated the entire continent of Veras, spreading far across the land their seeds of verdant life and prosperous growth, save in the desolate wastelands to the south, where the orcs roam free, and farther beyond, where only the bravest go to tame the mighty creatures on the dunes and in the oases of Evertide. These were in the days when forests were sacred to all the creatures that came upon them. The elves lived peacefully among one another, setting up garrisons for miles along the mountainous borders between elf and orc. They were hardly in conflict; their chaotic orcish minds overthrew them and their colonies would never form under one bloody banner to attack the elves. And so, they knew to avoid the land where the lushness grew. They still know this.
“Then humans from the realm of Golstolme across the sea came upon the shore and founded the port city of Polimoore, on the western edge of Veras. They tore down many trees that day, and in the passing weeks. With every branch they tore and every plank they sowed for their houses, the elvish hatred grew.
“The elves eventually fought back against the destruction of their beloved earth. They fought hard, and well, and at first slaughtered all who opposed, except the women and children, and the sea captain who had brought them there. The humans left the half-constructed Polimoore behind and retreated, and the elves burned it to the ground as they did, so the humans could watch the smoke rise as they sailed back home.
“The elves did not attempt any communication with the humans, and they should have, though translators were unheard of. The humans simply regarded the graceful, noble elven race as a pack of savages. One ship sailed away. Two months later, ten ships a hundred times over returned. The vast continent of Veras was easy enough to find – the legend says that the fires of Polimoore still burned, and the smoke guided the ships to shore.
“Never before had an army been seen upon Veras. The elves certainly didn’t have one, just the orc guard, a shifting regiment of craftsmen assigned to a month’s work out of the year. The militia that had fully disposed of the pioneers was not prepared for any sort of army. Skilled though the elves were with swordplay and bowmanship, it was said that there were more human soldiers on the continent than there were arrows to slay them all. And so it was that the elves were ravaged.”
The magical orb through which Seldras channeled his voice suddenly lit up, and a cartographic image came upon it of Veras, in a shade of mostly green, with the black south of the orc territory; it showed a red flame spread across the land, a pandemic of war that blanketed half of the map before stopping.
“The Lord of the Elves at the time, Demenith, walked directly up to their army, single-handedly. He approached their general, one named Sir Gregorios, and soldiers moved aside, weapons drawn and pointed to slay the Lord. He reached down to the earth, scooped a handful of dirt and then germinated it with ancient druidic magic. A flower grew before their eyes and the restless soldiers around Sir Gregorios grew hush. Demenith offered the flower to Sir Gregorios in one hand, and drew a knife to his own neck with the other.
“The human understood the message and then called the army back. Many of the ships left, but Sir Gregorios and a handful of his men stayed behind, unarmed and in the custody of Demenith. They began to explore elvish culture, and though a long time it did take, the humans began to communicate, and convey that humans were not so different.
“A new, larger group of settlers came, and from the ashes rose a new Polimoore. Through the actions of Sir Gregorios and Demenith, the humans and the elves came to coexist. The land was not divided, but shared. We learned their language, and they taught us their industry. But the old ways of the elves have not been forgotten.”
The orb shifted once more, and the land became green again, speckled with patches of blue, this time.
“To regard the dwarves and gnomes is impossible. Few elves wander up the mountains that divide us from the orcs, and fewer still enter the caves upon the mountains and live to tell tales. When the humans arrived, channels of trade opened outward to the dwarves, and then later, the gnomes. The gnomes made their homes high upon the mountains, and the dwarves within them. Only the God of Time would know how long they have existed here for.
“The elves are a proud race, but you must never forget that it is the humans you are indebted to. Someday, your assistance will be needed, and though all save the most scholarly scholars among their kind will know that debt which we owe. To the humans, no matter how you feel of them, we owe life and meaning. It is a valuable lesson to remember this.
“The place you choose in this world is your definition. Everything has purpose. Gregorios knew this and spared us as such. The time has come for you three to select your place in this world, which will control the rest of your lives.”
Shaelildrian and Alanea both had a moment in which they were frozen.
In truth, both Shaelildrian and Alanea had spoken to their parents; the entire situation seemed almost made-up. Children normally don’t start such planning until they turn nine. Elves develop great senses of maturity at a young age, though their sense of play never diminishes at any point in their lives. Shaelildrian and Alanea were both a little baffled by the situation – in truth, the only training either had received was in that of swordplay and bowmanship with one another, and the professions of their parents – fletching for Alanea, woodworking for Shae.
Shaelildrian remembered his parents questioning him on these matters frequently. He had dismissed it most often as a joke, but now grasped desperately at the cords of his memory where a recollection of his decision should have been. The pit of his stomach was queasy and his head was spinning – guilt struck him, then, a pendulum stroking a new chord upon his every heartbeat. He had no true fear of any elf, for all treated him with kind regard, and even though Seldras’ glare was mighty and feared by more than a few of the villagers, Shaelildrian saw no reason to fear him. He was unfazed by the looks he was getting.
“What is your place?”
Seldras, or whatever controlled Seldras, looked first at Alanea. She was taken aback, as though her heart had frozen and her blood had run cold, and almost teetered off of the back of the seat. She gripped, and then looked fearfully up to Seldras, who stood waiting patiently.
“I know not.” Her voice was timid.
“What?” Commanded the strange voice once again.
“I know not!”
Seldras’s head shifted to the right. “And you?”
“Sorcery.” Naeanin’s voice was as cool as the deep, throaty voice that gripped Seldras. Immediately, the orb before the High Druid glowed brightly, only for a moment. The force of light caused Shaelildrian and Alanea to shield their eyes. The force brimmed red for a moment before returning to its earthly green glow.
“Very good.” Seldras cracked a small, perturbing smile. “And you?” His head snapped again.
Shaelildrian had not been expecting such a thing. He hesitated.
“Well?”
“I too know not.”
“You should already know your place.” This was not Seldras. Seldras was a grouch, it was said, and widely reputed so, but this was truly not him. There was no patience, tolerance, or wisdom in his eyes. Only madness.
“I have not yet ex – explored the possibilities!”
Seldras stared hard. “You know of what others do in this village, yes?”
“Yes, High Druid.”
Seldras tried his hands at patience, “Well, you are younger than most,” he reasoned, “which is the most pleasing to you?”
“I don’t know.”
The spirit within Seldras only glared.
“Then there are things you shall need to learn on your own time. Regrettably, such professions must be selected within the confines of ceremony.”
“Why?” asked Shaelildrian.
“It is tradition.”
“But why?” Shaelildrian’s confusion was evidently increasing the scowl on Seldras’ wizened brow.
“It has always been this way. It has never been undone. Do you dare defy tradition?”
Shaelildrian was silent.
The spirit interpreted the response from Shaelildrian as not courage in the face of a frightening thing, but as insolence in the face of authority. He surged forward and grabbed Shaelildrian by the tunic, lifting him off of the ground. The energies that flowed through him channeled into his hands and then slipped past Shaelildrian’s minimal defenses to the magical arts. The child began thrashing for only a moment before his body went limp, the muscles still convulsing as though he had been jolted by electricity.
Alanea wanted to scream, but instead chose to rise to her feet and pound her fist into the side of Seldras’ robes. “Stop it! Stop it!” Tears were rolling down her cheeks.
Naeanin looked on, her dark eyes even smaller slits than usual, a small grin parted on her lips, as if she were enjoying this torture. She looked more unlike an elf than anything, like some darker creature, as though she could blanket the sun with a gaze.
Alanea did not notice this. She continued to rap into Seldras’ robes, until Seldras finally paid her some mind and released Shaelildrian, sending him crumpled onto the ground. “Shae!” She dropped to her knees, then looked back up at Seldras, teary-eyed, “How could you? How could you?”
Seldras grimaced, then held a hand forward again, palm facing Alanea. She squealed and then fell back on her hands and butt, horrified. The palm did not move from its fixed point. Moments later, Shae began once again to stir. Seldras had used his powers as a punishment, and then felt he had righted things by using a healing spell.
“Well, child?”
Shaelildrian only panted, still winded. He broke out into a cold sweat.
“Well?” Seldras went to put another hand upon Shaelildrian, his murky voice more terrifying to the children than ever.
Naeanin rose, anxious to see what pain would be inflicted next; Alanea felt something bubble up inside her, some foreign energy. The light, tingling feeling caused by the room ceased and was replaced by a cool, coruscating feeling around her body. Something clicked in Seldras, because he took immediate notice of the energy build in the room and looked straight at Alanea, stunned. Children should not possess such fields of energy; when people do, the fields should always be present, not rising and falling like the ocean’s current, like this child of only seven winters. And then the winds of a typhoon kicked into the room.
“Child –”
The room went dark. Naeanin leaped up and cowered away from the winds behind the sphere, which now swirled within in a smoky gray heaving mass. Occasionally, the core of the mass would ignite in a bright light that faltered away quickly, like a muted thunderstorm. This was the only light in the room. The current picked up and picked Seldras up by the feet, dragging him several feet away from Shae’s still-troubled body. The essence of Alanea was altered for a moment, the sweet face of an innocent girl heeding to the face of a powerful woman within, lunging like a black wolf of air into the heart of the one who hurt her whenever the light hit her. “Stay back!”
Seldras was pushed into the wall of the room, his head twisted to the side in the force of the wind, trying to keep his eyes shut, trying to keep himself from losing his grip. He thought. And a thought was all it took.
The High Druid’s house was well-guarded by a series of small channels that opened into each room through a small wooden slit on the ceiling – within the miniscule passages (so small that Shaelildrian's fingers would barely be able to poke in) lay the best protection against intruders a High Druid could have, creatures so diminutive and dangerous that, while having the power to incarcerate an adult, children would likely be killed; drae wasps, as they were known, were a wild insect rarely seen and thought extirpated by ways of magic and common law. Druids, of course, had stacks of the insects, and knew just the incantations to gain the trust of the nest’s queen.
The drae wasps began to file into the room, washed around by the whirlwind current that swept abroad the circular edifice.
[hunterhunterhunterhunterhunterhunterhunterhunterhunter –] a thousand voices in one, all monotone, all shallow.
Shaelildrian’s ears perked, though he was not sure why, nor was he conscious enough to reason it.
“Leave him alone –” the innocence in Alanea stumbled over the words, having to shout over the whipping winds still circling the room. “–sir!”
Out of nowhere, Naeanin followed the path of the current around and into Alanea, tackling the smaller girl hard to the ground and sending the winds into a breeze, and then into nothing by the time that everything had been sorted out. The orb once again shifted green, but the ceiling was not the same any longer – rather, it had been speckled with black dots, black dots that moved, and buzzed, and wanted to bring pain. Hungry black dots.
The two girls tussled for a moment before Seldras rushed over and tore them apart by the backs of their clothes. He held Naeanin aside and then moved forward with Alanea. “Alanea, I want you to do something for me.” Seldras spoke calmly, but quickly, as though there were a secret abroad he had little time to tell of. Whatever spirits had haunted the elder previously were gone, and he seemed back to normal, though his bitter grimace was one of fear and intensity instead. “Speak to this orb. Speak the word ‘sorcery’. Can you do that for me, please?”
Alanea shot a glance to Naeanin, whose dark and sullen eyes had been shifted away by the tilting-back of her head, revealing their true intensity in malevolent form. “With her?”
“Just say it! Be quick.”
After a moment’s hesitation, followed by a sigh of anguish, she spoke. “Sorcery.”
“Good,” Seldras looked to the two girls. “Get out of here. Walk slowly. Meet me in the main room in just a moment. Go.” He edged Alanea off with a shove and then quickly moved to Shaelildrian’s side. The orb, in the meantime, flashed a speck of bright yellow, and then went back to the verdant green it had been.
“Is he going to be okay?” Alanea asked, looking at Shaelildrian.
“Yes, he’s going to –” the buzzing became a roar as Seldras had spoken – his voice had been raised. Sure enough, a mass of whizzing black particles orbited the upper half of the room, descending slowly along their circular track. If they reached the level of Shaelildrian and Seldras, no amount of control that the High Druid had over the queen – nor any amount of control the queen had over her minions – would save them.
[HUNTERHUNTERHUNTERHUNTERHUNTERHUNTERHUNTERHUNTER]
The druid quickly incanted a few words, but Shaelildrian’s eyes were already shot open. He could hear what the others could not. Seldras gripped the boy’s shoulders and spoke quickly. “Child, these creatures will kill us. They know no mercy. We must get out of here. They will kill everything until the room has been cleansed, starting at the top and working their way down. It is the method of the drae wasp. We must leave, now. Crawl with me toward the exit.”
Shaelildrian, still groggy, said, “tradition,” his attention span still straight above his head, watching the dancing and twirling, dancing and twirling, the dance of death, a mere three feet from the floor.
“You’ve not picked! We must go!”
[HUNTERHUNTERHUNTER]
Shaelildrian was so dizzy, it was as though the room were spinning and the enraged insects were stationary. He said the only thing that could come to him. “Hunter?” The orb pitched again from green, this time with a flash of light so bright, that the insects immediately shot skyward, clinging to the roof, with many retreating back into the narrow crack whence they came.
Seldras, still gripping Shaelildrian, looked into the boy’s tired eyes with disbelief and disappointment. No. It cannot be. A child with such promise… a hunter? He had shown no real promise, but – great expectations, great things… the Foretell… he let go of his grip, and put his hand up once more; the beasts in the rage of the spell would attack, but now, once again passive, they would return to their hives. Surely enough, they re-entered their catacombs within the great tree of the High Druid. Seldras got up, brushed himself off, and went out to the girls.
“It has been done.”
Alanea took a step forward, but Seldras shot a hand out. Whatever power the child of Arieanna and Ialanis possessed, it was not something she had learned to harness – but at least she knew it was hers. Regardless, she submitted passively to the outstretched palm. She hesitated a moment, her eyes flitting between the ground and Seldras’ face, which looked more troubled than stern now, but was nevertheless strikingly awful. And, given her recent offense (though she wasn’t sure how closely she was related), she decided it best not to pursue too far, “how is Shae?”
“Fine. He’s fine,” Seldras turned back to go and get Shae.
“Did he pick?” Seldras whirled and opened his mouth to impatiently tell Alanea to be silent, but it had been Naeanin who spoke. He snapped his mouth shut – while he did not want to hear her or anyone else talk, Naeanin’s family held far too much power in the elven community for Seldras to risk shouting at her. Judging by the smug look on Naeanin’s face, this fact had been bred into her. She knew her place of power. She would go to all the best schools, have all the best professors, all the best sorcerous equipment – but it was easy to see why she was jealous of both Shaelildrian and Alanea; whilst she had the opportunity of a child who could have anything she wanted, these things were material. The gifts of Alanea were now obvious beyond her family, and likely to grow in power; whatever Naeanin received would be a large leap (a well-endowed magical robe was, to a lordly sorcerer, a lifesaver, at times), but that would be the extent of it. Who knew what the daughter of a bowyer could achieve? Naeanin was not kept in the dark regarding children being born of demigods; no amount of money could wish that. She would always be dark to them. Always.
“Yes. He did. Hunter.” He spoke the last word with such contempt as to make even the snotty Naeanin grit her teeth. Shaelildrian appeared in the doorway, looking pale and holding his weight against the circular frame with a shaky arm.
“Stand here, children.” Seldras motioned all of the children into the same part of the room, and then began intricately twisting his hands and gutturally incanting. His eyes drew back and then, to all four in the room, the world shot forward, and then back again, as though time had heaved on itself.
Shaelildrian, Alanea and Naeanin were suddenly very tired.
“Okay, children. You may go. The leafroot awaits.” Seldras spoke quietly, almost soothingly. It came as a relief to all three. The bark that had grown over the door melted back with a grinding series of crunches, and the root once again came forward at their feet, with a large leaf atop it. They stepped on, with Alanea grasping to Shae and Naeanin taking to the other side, staring contemptuously down into his eyes. He made sure not to look back.
The root slowly lowered to the ground.
Seldras watched it go at first, then closed the bark door again and went into the altar room to once again cover the orb. Within the confines of its smooth, smoky interior, there was a large black lotus that appeared for only a moment before being sucked into the center of the orb, out of sight, as though it had never been there. Seldras tossed the cloth over and grit his own teeth, for once.
When the root reached the ground, there stood Arieanna and Ialanis, Archillea and Doradus, and an emissary bearing a black cloak with a red flute crocheted on it – the symbol of the Windsongs. Alanea held her arms out and was grabbed and held aloft by her father before the leafroot had touched the ground. Shaelildrian hopped off by himself, and Naeanin waited for the root to reach the ground before stepping off, one hand out to her emissary.
“Yours, Ms. Windsong.”
“Let us go home.” Naeanin briefly scanned the adults, bearing a self-righteous and complacent grin. And without a word, she walked away briskly, her servant in pursuit.
When she was gone, it was Arieanna, certainly the most cheery of the three remaining females, spoke first, “well, how was it?”
The two children looked at each other, sorrowfully, then back to the adults, who all smiled gently. Shaelildrian spoke. “It was fine.”
“And you’ve selected, yes?”
Two nods, and a moment of silence.
Ialanis, feeling a knot of anxiety and a bubble of laughter almost coming through and making him drop his daughter, looked right into her eyes, “Well? What were your decisions?”
Alanea, feeling the warmth of her father, brightened immediately and said, “Sorcery!”
Ialanis and Arieanna’s eyes both glinted – that would be a very expensive procedure, getting her put through that kind of school. Even the least expensive of such institutions were well beyond the price range of the two. “Well, dear, we’ll see what we can do for you, then.”
“How about you, Shae, dear?” Archillea leaned down and kissed her son gently on the forehead, her arm around his shoulder.
“I – I –” Shae started, “I don’t remember.”
He received five separate glances.
It was Doradus who spoke, a slight tremble in his voice. “What?”
“I don’t remember. I don’t know if I said anything.”
“Don’t you remember our talks?” The Terrasils had told Shae that, because of his extensive studies in swordplay, he should make a move towards an army position; Shae had never shown any real prowess at woodworking; his only real interests seem to lie with the blade and arrow.
In truth, Shaelildrian didn’t remember ever speaking with his father at that moment.
“Ow –”
“How can you no longer remember –”
“Hunter, Shae, hunter!” Said Alanea, interrupting Doradus’ yelling. “Shae picked hunter. Seldras told us.”
A silent sigh of relief came from all, especially Shaelildrian.
“He told us.”
“Hunter. Very good, son. Very good.” Doradus rested a shaky hand atop Shaelildrian’s shoulder. A hunter? A hunter? Shaelildrian’s life was a rot, now. The hunters of any village were lower-class citizens, slobs, and not well-respected at all. They were dropouts from all degrees, masters of nothing. They were village gatherers, of no high regard whatsoever. Alas, the decision had been made, and so it was. The child of a thousand worries, of ill-found birth, of controversy and discord, was to be one of the lowest-possible members of society. Even the best hunters were not so highly regarded. A life of rot.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Hope this doesn't count as a double-post! Be kind! :thup:

Chapter two cont.
This standing came from a long line of hunters with nasty reputations; hunters were corrupted to believe that since they brought most meat from the wilds in, that they could charge what they wanted; it was a commodity that in some circumstances had to be paid for. They were also a rather boastful bunch, arguing over who’d slain what dragon, when in truth, there were only two that ever had, on record. A life of rot.
Ialanis eyed Shaelildrian with a sense of wonder. The miracle-child. The hunter. Modest, but noble. And the bowyer knew the perfect going-away present. Flicker’s replacement.
All children that assign themselves to such a task in any way are eligible for entry into the different schools across Veras; hunters can choose to take on an apprenticeship with other hunters (thus being ready for the world in a matter of eighteen months), or to attend a school for martial combat – Archillea and Doradus had put away more than enough money to send their son to one of these. As for sorcery, one had to attend a school. Such practices were restricted to license, as the knowledge contained within the realm of any form of magic was well-sought-after by those who would use it for harm. This, however, is not to say that individuals did not practice for evil – secrets cannot always stay secrets. Alas, there were also schools for craftspeople, like Ialanis, who had attended one in Polimoore, the port city.
The elvish registration for schools had to be done within one week after the Season of Songs (not that many members of the other races knew this was so), and the children were away from their homes within the month, training young on a curriculum designed to incorporate the elves. Because of the common language (the old elvish was optional, but not required), the humans were trained with the elves, as well as several dwarves. Gnomes, on the other hand, were almost always technologists, and would likely not be attending the martial schools, though some could be expected at the school of sorcery.
Shaelildrian yawned, the instinctual contagion within linking to Alanea and causing her to yawn, as well.
“I suppose the hour is far later than you children are used to, we’d best be off to bed.” Archillea said, taking her son’s hand.
“And us, as well. Good night, Terrasils.”
“And you, Eneris kin.”
The families parted.
“What time is it?” asked Shaelildrian, finally taking note of just how high up the moon was.
“Far later than you’re used to.”
“But how?” Shaelildrian only felt like he’d been there a short time…
“I remember what it was,” said Doradus, “when the High Druid inquired what I should do, after all that, he cast a spell to make time go by. It may be several hours ahead of where you think.”
“Why?”
“To finish the Season of Songs.” Seeing the doubt in his son’s eyes, he quickly added. “it’s tradition.”
“Oh.”
Shaelildrian did not take note, as he had each parent on one arm, that the adults were looking over him, each with a sullen sparkle in the eye.

The next day, another phenomenon struck the small town of Dainshire – ancient magic. In the dead center of town, a massive flower had sprung up overnight; it was a lotus. The petals were black as night, all pointed toward the sky, save for one, which hung slack, providing entrance to the center of the flower. It was at least twice the height of any elf.
These flowers were transporters of a metaphysical nature – whenever there was a meeting of the High Druids (generally held quarterly), a flower would suddenly germinate and spring up in the center of town. When the High Druid was in the flower, the petals would fold in and the stem would be sucked into the ground, pulling the entire flower down with it. The flowers all rooted at the base of Shellihn’s temple in Sylael, the elven capital.
Of course, the flower was usually announced by means of post on the numerous boards amongst the town, where scribes would post news of births, markets, and events. Also, the flower was usually a red rose. The obsidian lotus that loomed in the center of town cast a large shadow and had a foreboding air to it; the smell brought anxiety as soon as it entered the nose.
The town stepped aside as Seldras approached. The celebration of the Season of Songs seemed cut short by just how grim Seldras seemed. Even in the happiest times of the elven culture, the High Druid’s face was grim, and now more so than ever. Without a word, he planted a foot on the petal that was slack for him, turned back to the crowd of at least one hundred, and surveyed them. He saw Alanea in the front, Arieanna’s hands at her daughter’s shoulders. He turned back and then stepped forward to her. The rest of the crowd backed off, but Alanea and Arieanna stayed where they were. He crouched to her height and spoke.
“Do you know what that is, little one?” he motioned to the massive lotus.
“No.” Alanea stuttered, as Arieanna gently squeezed into her shoulders. “No, sir.”
“It’s your potential. Your life. You’re going to do great things, Alanea.” And Seldras smiled at her. Despite the harsh nature of his common appearance, when Seldras smiled, his eyes lit up like any other elf. He was, through and through, one of them underneath it all.
Alanea smiled back, overjoyed that she’d made him grin.
Seldras rose, scanned the crowd, a once more dismal look upon his face, and then stepped up and into the flower. Like a shark surfacing under prey, the flower’s petals snapped shut and then the massive plant heaved once before the shallow stem and the entire bloom squeezed back into a hole no more than six inches wide, drawing hushed gasps from the crowd, as gossipy elf-wives tittered amongst each other.
Shortly following, the townspeople began continuing their business as a citizen sifted dirt into the gap where Seldras had disappeared.
Alanea turned back to her mother, “mommy? What did he mean by that? What’s potential?”
Arieanna smiled on the outside but quaked on the inside, hoping that Seldras was okay – Alanea was a good-natured child, but when things did not go her way, bad things always happened; the wind would pick up, come from different directions, terrorize… it had never happened out of home, as far as she knew, but the child was certainly a force to be reckoned with. “Well, what did you do when you were in his chambers?”
Alanea half wanted to tell her mother about what she’d done, but then disregarded that. Instead, she replied with a shrug and a smile.
“I’m sure it’s a good thing. You’ve nothing to worry about, my dear.”

“Drae wasps?” Shellihn was upon his throne, gripping it so tightly as to make his knuckles white. “Three children that we expect fantastic things from, and somehow summoned are drae wasps?”
Seldras was in the throne room of the Lord of the Elves, Shellihn. Shellihn was furious. “My Lord –” Seldras started.
“ – Seldras, you’re entrusted with the most sacred of tasks, you and I both know that Forygia holds much contempt for your position among my kingdom, and were she nigh as talented as she is with the Druidic arts, that she would likely be cast away. But drae wasps, and using magic upon a child – a life draining spell no less – you make me question your motives, Seldras, healing or not.”
“My Lord, you know I did not summon such beasts with cruel intentions. I panicked and the spirit took hold. I don’t think that the True Elf felt kindly towards Shaelildrian, I-”
“He’s seven, and the drae queen seems to think otherwise. Trying to extract answers, were you?”
“Never, my Lord!”
“Explain yourself.”
“My Lord. The children, I fear, were too young for such decisions. The world that they will be entering into will be one of treachery for them, one with students of a far greater physical and mental capacity, not to mention the emotional levels of things. The maturity level, as well… my Lord, you know the difference that those three years makes. The biological and psychological changes are vast.” Seldras was reaching, and desperate. “They will be underclassed at whatever institutions they go to. The point that I’m making, my Lord, is not that my actions were preparatory for their institutionalization, but more rather, an example of such punishments they will receive for stepping beyond line. Punishments with no permanent consequences. And I think that I got through to them. I fear that a slip of authority will see Shaelildrian in a great deal of trouble.” Of course, Seldras had plotted this answer. He’d had no true evil intention, but faced with the powerful magic of a mere child had been more than enough to shock him out of reason. He did fear his own statement, however; there may be permanent consequences with his use of magic. Fear and what one fears is instilled at a young age.
Shellihn nodded. He knew that all things considered, Seldras was a just man, and had little to fret of in his lead High Druid’s capabilities. “Fear not Shaelildrian’s course. I made arrangements for him before the Season of Songs. What of Alanea? Do you not see troubles for her, as well? Sorcery can be very demanding on children.”
“The child Alanea is of extraordinary talent. She is already more than adept with the uses of wind magic. She has an energy current that rivals students ten times her age, I know, I felt this! In shock, in threat, I simply reacted poorly to the circumstances.”
“Poorly indeed. Tell me about Alanea.” He seemed quite suddenly less upset about the nature of the drae wasps, and more interested in Alanea’s capabilities. Perhaps a suitable successor to the throne, someday?
“She is, as you know, the other of the off-born. If she was capable of this before, she gave no indication of it.”
“This has happened before. Children of all races have exhibited this trait. At least, a rare few of them. This ability to conjure things that they did not even see themselves capable of conjuring is not unheard of. Their minds think differently than those of a normal child. To what extent is she an interest of yours?”
And surely enough, Seldras spoke of it.
Chapter Three – Lifechanging
The day after Seldras had returned after spending a night in Sylael, a letter was in the Eneris’s mailbox, sealed by a great red rose – the symbol of the Lord of the Elves. Within was an invitation that families could only dream about – fully paid admission to the Sylael Institute of Sorcery, the most prestigious in all of Veras. The teachers were all highly-regarded and borderline-ancient elvish masters of their arts. The course was perfect, something that Arieanna and Ialanis would only have wildly dreamed about for Alanea to be taking; to sell their house and all worldly possessions would not have been enough. Arieanna tried not to get her tears of joy on the letter.
The very same evening, a similar letter was also in the mailbox of the Terrasils, sealed with a golden sword – it was a symbol that neither parent had ever seen before. Enclosed was a letter:

Regards, Shaelildrian Terrasil

My name is Alasterion Paraviltz. I am Headmaster at the Dulmoran School of Combat. I was informed of you personally from a friend of mine and told to contact you immediately. At my institution I cannot accept just any student, but your talents, regardless of your prowess upon the field of combat, are just slightly more unique than those of the other students. Even if yet you do not know it, I have faith that your skills can be best honed at my academy.

Dulmoran is beautiful in the autumn, Shaelildrian. It is a city but three day’s march northwest of Sylael. The Trials are exactly one week from the day you should be receiving this, and I sincerely hope to see you there. As does the hunting staff. They grow anxious to meet one of your interesting and unique circumstance.

Sincerely,

Headmaster Paraviltz

“Do you understand what this means, Shaelildrian?”
“No, mother.”
“You have a high chance for acceptance into one of the best fighter schools there is!” Archillea said excitedly.
“Who’s the headmaster’s friend?”
Archillea, perhaps mostly for her son’s benefit of the doubt, flipped the page over and back again, “The note doesn’t say.”
“Where’s Dulmoran?” Shaelildrian was confused.
“Dulmoran is the capital city of the humans in Veras, my boy, their second-most important city, save Pritchard, across the sea in Golstolme. Seven day’s ride from here.” Doradus said. He was in the corner of the kitchen, leaning in the doorway leading into the main chamber, letting mother and son have their moment at the table. “We’ve got to get ready.”
He was still so young, so frail – he wanted to stay at home with his family. Seven days? But the tryouts were in a week. That would mean he’d have to leave –

“And I would like to make a toast!”
The patrons that had gathered in the Eneris residence to celebrate the success of their daughter that evening quieted and stared smiling at Ialanis, who was standing on a table. The citizens, who had set up a band of flutes, lutes and various percussion instruments, stopped playing.
“To Alanea,” he held a hand out for his daughter and she joined him atop the table. “And to the great successes that come!”
A great roar erupted, and Alanea smiled, but her smoky green eyes could not see Shaelildrian anywhere. Surely, he’d heard?

And opposite the direction of the Eneris residence rode a horse carrying a man and his boy, with a second horse in tow sporting luggage. Aside from clothes, the only personal item that Shae had packed was his bow, Flicker, and the odd few arrows he had lying around. Shaelildrian looked on to the house. The sky was dark, and it had begun to rain while they were packing the horses.
“We’ll make good time, Shaelildrian. I’ll promise you that. Maybe even a day to look around the city. We won’t have much time for Sylael, though. We’ll just be passing through.”
Shaelildrian was indifferent. Good for the rain – Shaelildrian thought. Now father won’t see me cry. Shaelildrian looked back at his house, where his mother stood in the lit doorway, a beautiful silhouette, a lullaby, a dream.
The horses rode into the night and out of the village. Just down the road, thunder cracked, and something spooked both horses.
<Whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhy> like a child, pitchy, with an echo before the words came and none after.
Shaelildrian hopped off of the horse and ran to the palomino that sported his luggage. She whinnied but did not back away. Shaelildrian reached up and placed both hands on her snout, “It’s okay. It’s going to be okay.”
<NONONONONONONONONO>like a frightened girl.
How was he hearing this? Was he imagining things?
The horses whinnied again, and this time the palomino bucked back.
<Calm, beast.> a deep, serene voice. Omnidirectional, with a continuing echo prior to the words being spoken. Shaelildrian’s head darted to the left, then right. He could see nothing.
The palomino obeyed the mysterious voice.
Shaelildrian looked around, a chill running up his spine. He removed his cowl and looked at the woods. He could hardly make anything out.
“Shaelildrian! Get back up here! We’ve no time to waste!”
Shaelildrian looked back at the palomino. It had truly calmed down. It stood prone, as if awaiting further orders. Shae hopped back up onto the first horse with Doradus and Doradus kicked the horse’s sides, getting things moving again.
<Goodbye… child.>
Thunder cracked once again across the sky and the horses remained steady in a hauntingly serene fashion. Shaelildrian felt a chill flow up his spine and looked around in the woods. He thought he saw a massive silhouette among the trees, but it was gone as soon as the raindrops floated through the image. What was that? A goliath horse? Some kind of a giant? Had it been communicating with him?
Shae was unsure, so he took a last look down at the only home he’d ever known, a last look at Dainshire. He saw the glistening lights through the rain and heaved a sigh. This was not something he wanted. But, as with everything he didn’t want to do, it seemed, it was tradition. If his father had done it before him, then surely he would go through with it.

And miles later, miles away, Alanea sat in the window while the adults around her gave her meaningless congratulatory remarks, watching the rain fall, wondering where her only real friend in the world was.
“Honey?” A familiar voice. Alanea turned to see Archillea standing before her.
“Yes?” Her eyes began darting back and forth, looking around her for Shae.
“I’m so sorry. Shaelildrian wanted to come very badly, but something happened.”
“What happened?”
“Well, he got into a good school, too. He had to leave tonight.”
She felt her eyes get wet. “Will he be back?”
“If he doesn’t make it, yes, he’ll be back in just over two weeks. If he does make it – well, a little while longer, anyway.”
Of course, Alanea was to be attending school in Sylael, and would therefore be departing within the week anyhow. There was no chance that she would see her best friend, and at the thought of this, her heart twisted on itself.
“Oh.”
“I’m so sorry. He wanted to come very badly.”
“Yeah, I guess.”
With no more words of encouragement to offer, the heavyhearted Archillea placed a gentle hand on the young one’s shoulder before moving slowly away and letting her cry.

The authority of Veras was stalwart and disciplined, with strict rudimentary code regarding all methods of punishment and protection, as necessary. They had guarded against the orcs to the south for generations, and embittered the beasts so that they would never attack the northern realm again, lest their lives be forfeit to merciless and swift justice. When Keeran Whistlebender made Keeran’s Foretell, prices were put on her head from organizations all across Veras and even from Golstolme for her capture. They wished to extract more information. Most were humans, in a never-ending quest for knowledge, but the worst was an elf of great evil.
Telluwar Obsidius was his name. He was the leader of the Obsidian Void, the most infamous guild of assassins in all Veras, if not the world. Telluwar was never seen; only whispered of. To speak of him was to find a way into the crosshairs or blade of one of his best assassins; rest assured, he had the best.
The authorities of Veras had done their part in protecting Keeran, but not without great risk to her entire family, and as such, all of Keeran’s brethren (many native to her town of Bludstone, in the foothills of the Orgcanoc mountains, which divide the elves in the north from the orcs in the south) were sent away to different parts of the world, the forests, the deep mountains, the islands. The entire family was put into hiding and sent into separation, for it was feared that no amount of power would keep the secret of a single location safe for long.

That night, a ten day’s march east from Dainshire and two days west of the coast, the forests of Fauxdane stirred. The forest was ancient and verdant, nigh impassable but to the hardiest of travelers; the trees once grew far apart, but had become so thick with age that they seemed far closer than they actually were. The canopy made the day seem of night, and the nights seem of eternal blackness. The forest would have made an excellent place for crime, but myths and legends of ferocious beings and creatures within the woods of Fauxdane kept even the bravest adventurers at bay.
Just outside of a cottage buried deep within the labyrinthine forest, a being unknown by all but a few, and known only as Shroud to them, crouched upon a tree branch, many feet above the cottage and several yards away. He wore pitch-black tight-fitting cloth armor with a leather belt across the waist, connecting two shortswords to his person. Upon his wrist was a small, hollow tube that was connected by a black mechanism that none could ever get close enough to see.
The assassin had a spiral upon his chest in midnight blue, and a black mask that covered his face (save his eyes). It was molded into an abhorrent smile, like an onyx circus clown with the desire to invoke fits of screaming instead of laughter.
He placed one foot under the branch and then let go, allowing himself to swing downward against the bridge of his foot, then flipped off and onto a lower branch, landing without a sound. He dropped like this several more times, until he had found the earth. Peering in the windows, Shroud saw the gnome, a weathered woman. Keeran’s aunt. He created a mental map of the room.
Like a lizard upon a rock, Shroud slinked right up the side of the wooden cottage, silent as slow death in ascension. He slowly drew one of his swords and started working into the shingles.

Far away, a second cottage, similar to the first, in a much younger forest of spottier tree patches, a second malice waited. A white cat pawed at the door to this cottage, yowling for some attention and warmth on the chilly evening. The hour was late, but a flickering still continued in the window. The shadows and lights in the room danced the dance of movement, and the door cracked open. An old gnome carrying a candle opened the door fully then, and the cat murred and circled the gnome’s leg, much to the happiness of the senior, who seemed longing for companionship.
He never heard the arrow loose, nor did he see it fly. But sure enough, the mark was true; the fletch whizzed past leaves, between branches, cut air, and found the gnome right between the eyes, pushing him back with such force as to mount him to the door in a macabre monument.
And the cat ran back to her true master to receive the recognition of a job well done, as the master went to search for clues as to the location of the true objective – the location of the prophetic gnome, herself.

Shroud had opened a large hole in the shingles of the roof, and had but a thin strip of boards to go through to reach his target. The lights within the gnome’s cottage flickered off, as Shroud heard her blow out a candle. Even easier. The forest’s thick canopy gave no light. The gnome was blind to the night. And Shroud decided to change his tactic.
He leaped into the air, and then slammed with a single foot upon the thin strip of wood, splintering through in a single movement. Using the mental image of the room he had taken from earlier, Shroud placed himself perfectly for landing on the floor.
The gnome cried out in surprise and then quickly uttered a few words. Something Shroud had not accounted for happened – the room became lit by a small ball of flame that hovered above the sorceress’s palm. Shroud was caught in the middle of the room. The gnome threw back a second hand and hurled a fireball at the assassin, one the size of the assassin’s head.
Shroud deftly threw himself into a wall, then kicked off the wall and onto the table. The first fireball hit the back of the cottage and dispersed. Fireballs that damage only the enemy, thought Shroud. Clever. A second fireball nearly caught him off guard, but the human was far too quick. He was back out through the hole he came in, and off of the roof entirely, letting the fireball glance harmlessly away.
The gnome raced across the floor to the cupboard and threw it open. She whipped a silken cloth off of a spherical object, revealing a faintly glowing crystal ball. She went to set her hands to it to raise alarm, but felt a sudden prick in her neck. She could move her hands no further than the inches they were away from sounding the alarm.
Shroud had made fine use of the weapon upon his wrist. The knuckles on his right hand were at his chin, his head was turned slightly to the right, and he looked down the sights of his right forearm. The blowgun attached had pierced the sorceress’s jugular, the magical poison within the dart paralyzing her instantly and indefinitely.
Shroud crawled back within the hole he’d created, and in the faint light coming from the globe, he found the silk cloth. He threw it over the orb and withdrew one of his swords.
And then, for what little fear Keeran’s aunt could muster, everything went painfully black once and for all.

The door to the cell stayed firmly shut, a familiar voice echoing the chamber. It was clear and subtly powerful, “Keeran.”
“Yes?” Keeran’s home had no windows, and only one door. She knew it was morning, but it was just from instinct. The world of so little sun had given her a bleak outlook on life. Nothing that those who held her safe could do would make her feel more at home and less at home all at once. This was it. They provided her with everything that she needed and more, but it was not enough; it would never be enough.
“I bring grave news. Your aunt and uncle. Both are dead.”
Keeran sat at her miniature table, in her miniature chair, playing with a deck of cards when this news came. She jumped up and turned to the spot on the wall where her messenger’s face peered out, as though no more than a dimensioned portrait. The expression on his smooth face conveyed her precise emotion. She felt her eyes moisten. Her Aunt Toolah and Uncle Jack, the Tillybraunzers, had raised her from infancy. They had been separated following the prophecy in hopes of keeping them alive.
“Both?” her eyes moistened. “In the same evening?”
“Yes.”
“But – one was in Fauxdane, and the other east of Polimoore…”
“Yes.”
“And they did not come through this morning?”
“No. Both of their beacons sent their signals today. No life.”
Keeran turned back and floated mournfully back to her chair. The messenger remained in the wall, motionless. “I’m sorry, Keeran.”
“Who does this mean is left? Just my brother?”
“I’m afraid so.”
“Would it be much to ask to see the sun today?”
“Of course not. I’ll send my guard right away.”
“No, no, not yet. Maybe in an hour. I need some time.”
“As you wish, Keeran.” The face dematerialized into vapour, and once again, the little gnome responsible for the Foretell was alone in her cell.
Keeran wept.

It had been three days since her celebration. She hardly ate. She hardly slept. Alanea had not cried since that night. Alas, she had lain in bed, unwilling to do everything she once loved. Her mother knocked. She knew it was her mother without rolling over; the knock was soft, gentle, kind, her mother’s voice imprinted on wood and struck by the bone of a soft knuckle. Alanea wouldn’t say it, but the sound of her mother’s voice was one of the only things that soothed her.
Had she done something wrong? Why had Shaelildrian not said good-bye? Surely there was more to this than just a hasty departure. There was no other way. Most of all, she worried about where he was, and how he was doing.
The door cracked open. “I thought you might like some company.”
Alanea nodded, still not rolling over, her eyes again welling with tears.
Her bed sunk ever so slightly as her mother’s gentle figure sat down and rubbed her shoulder. “I know it’s hard. But I’m sure you’ll see each other again.”
“But why did he have to leave without saying goodbye?”
For this, Arieanna had no answer. She’d spoken harshly to Archillea the night of the party; Archillea was insistent that the idea to depart immediately belonged to Doradus.

“Are you well?”
“Yes.”
“Want something to eat?”
“No, thank you.”
Doradus and Shaelildrian had been trekking for almost three full days, now. Doradus had slept several times for brief intervals and let Shaelildrian take the reins. They only stopped to let the horses have rest.
“We’re here.”
Shaelildrian leaned out to the side to look beyond Doradus and saw Sylael.
Sylael was a marvelous – looking city, white and gold, grafted to the massive trees that grew around it. It was built inside of a large crater that had verdantly reformed itself over the thousands of years since it had been struck. The city was in the center, and the land all around was flat and exposed, filled with beautifully lush grasses. It was dominated by several tall spires of ivory that were intertwined with trees bigger than any Shaelildrian had ever seen – it was they that seemed to make the city formidable.
There were many brown veins leading away from the city in all directions; the many roads that channeled in and out of the capital. Sylael was a unique city, in that it did not dominate a vast surface area over the land, but over the air – the city was built on four different levels on a massive scale, intertwined with the main eleven trees; the largest of these trees had only access on the first floor of Sylael. It then stretched up much farther, all the way up the length of the tree; offices, bureaus, facilities, everything that ran the nation of the elves smoothly. On the uppermost floors, near the top of the largest tree, the Lord of the Elves kept his throne. A great spire had been erected above the throne room, directly above the throne, a spinning needle that threaded the sky and honoured the elvish leader.
Shaelildrian had seen the city once before, when he was five and Doradus had taken him there. He still felt the air cheat his lungs in the majesty of it. It was beautiful…
The city was unguarded, until one was within bow range of the great trees that encircled the city. Regardless, the archers upon the mighty boughs of these goliaths were nigh impossible to see and hundreds of feet up, with specialized training in the act of firing downward, known as cometing, as the arrows were often ignited. Criminals were often left with the impression that night would be safest to sneak into the city, on account of the city having no wall; alas, this was untrue. At night, the essences of the entire city glowed faintly, but there were so many as to produce a line of sight around the city for half a mile. One couldn’t get close from any direction to launch an assault against Sylael.
Doradus and Shaelildrian tottered forward on their single horse, with the palomino bearing their luggage following close behind. Shaelildrian looked abroad as they rode down into the crater, and noted all the little black specks coming and going along the different channels, to and from the city. Bustling. As a villager, the ways of the city were overwhelming to him, even then. Nothing he could do would ever change his adaptation to the forest town of Dainshire.
A beautiful white mare bearing a rider in green began closing fast upon them. The rider had a white cloak adorned with a red rose that flapped in the breeze. Doradus kept his horses to a gentle trot, but had an uneasy eye in the direction of the green rider. Shaelildrian had noticed the rider as well, and was admiring the intimacy between the rider and the mount – how smoothly they glided together, as though they had found a passage between the air and the wind and moved without counterforce.
The rider slowed upon approach and removed her helmet – a woman. She had golden hair, piercing blue eyes and the type of figure that even the young Shaelildrian knew got her a lot more attention than she might have liked.
“I am Maelynn Nefarias, High Protector of Shellihn, Lord of the Elves, and captain of the Elven Elite. You are Doradus and Shaelildrian Terrasil, are you not?”
Doradus looked sharply at Shae, who had begun to speak, but silenced as soon as the eyes of his father met him. Doradus looked back to the female elf and responded, “We are.”
Maelynn pulled back on the reigns of the mare and turned it around, “you have summons. Follow me.” Instead of breaking the horse into a run similar to that which had caught the captain up to the two, the horse began to trot at a pace only just faster than that which the Terrasils had been previously doing.
She remained far enough ahead for all of Shaelildrian’s questions to be answered.
“– she rides a windmare, an elven-bred horse. Some say they are the fastest abroad, because elves that follow through to husbandry possess the same worldly experience you’ll get as a hunter.”
“What do you mean?”
“A human will live, on average, to be roughly sixty years of age, seventy in good health, and one hundred as a sorcerer with the right spells; dwarves, roughly double that of humans, but elves will span up to and beyond five hundred years, with a similar stretch in age based on what they know and how they eat.”
“How about orcs?”
Doradus laughed. “They’re lucky to see five winters, the way they grow and fight.”
Shaelildrian smiled. Hearing Doradus laugh eased the pressure in his stomach.
“Anyhow, Shae, since elves will live for so long, they have a great deal of time to perfect their craft. By the average elf’s hundredth year of life, he will be more capable of his craftsmanship than most humans could ever hope to be.”
“Who is my summons?”
“That I do not know – maybe the Lord of the Elves himself, if the captain of the guard is who brings us there.” Doradus chuckled, happy to give his son something to think about. Of course, Doradus was quite sure that Shellihn had not been the one to summon him; it was probably an emissary of sorts, sent by Headmaster Paraviltz.
Shaelildrian had another question, but it was right as Maelynn fell back to ride just behind Doradus, at level with Shaelildrian, so the boy held his tongue. “So, I have been told nothing of you. Just to seek you out. Is there something that makes you special?” She sized him up as she spoke, obviously unimpressed with his stature.
Doradus chose to answer for him, “he’s the offborn.”
Shaelildrian wasn’t sure what that meant, but it must have been something, because Maelynn’s eyes widened with sudden interest, the first real emotion they’d seen of her stony, intense resolve, “you?”
Shaelildrian nodded, trying to feign knowledge of this term. Offborn? What did that mean to him? Was it that he had been born out of the Season of Songs? What made him so different, other than age?
Maelynn’s head snapped forward. “I see.” She nodded curtly, then rode ahead, as they were nearing the entrance.
“What’s an off-born?”
Doradus ignored him and pointed out, “See that spire, there? That one with the golden moon atop? Under it is the Sylael Institute of Sorcery, the very same that Alanea will be attending.”
At the mention of her name, Shae’s heart froze, and he forgot all about his soon-to-be nickname. He thought of her all the way through the city with a clenched stomach.
The streets were paved with stone, and walked upon by more elves than the entire population of Dainshire. The center of the road was bare, meant fully for the horse-riders and carriages. As they swept by the masses, people tilted a head and some even saluted Maelynn, and then gave crooked stares to her ragged-by-comparision accompaniment before carrying on their way.
Maelynn took them into the center of the city, where an immense circle of stone had been laid around the biggest tree Shaelildrian thought he might ever see. She dismounted, and the horse was immediately tended to by a boy who looked only a little older than Shae. The boy shot a contemptuous look at Shae (he evidently knew more about what was going on than Shaelildrian did) and then continued about his business.
Doradus dismounted and then helped Shae off.
“Follow me.” Maelynn entered the massive tree in a sort of lobby. Nearly the entire surface inside had been carved out, with a fair ten feet of wood all the way around being left to hold the tree intact, and several uncarved “pillars” standing erect at certain points in the room, wondrous designs carved in their plinths of battles and foliage and even song. These plinths, from their cracks, were emanating a strange form of light that somehow illuminated the entire room with an odd, sparkling essence. There were desks carved directly out of the wood at the far end with people sitting behind them, several staircases that wound back up the tree, and far too much space for the amount of people it needed to accommodate. The room, while it had beauty, felt hollow to Shae, who longed more for the outdoors than the indoors.
Maelynn received observational glances from those at the desks, but as she passed they continued about whatever their services were. Doradus and Shaelildrian followed her up a straight staircase that suddenly branched left and right once it reached the outside of the tree. The staircases had beautiful white railings, but Shae was surprised to find that they were metal; the metal form also arced out and then back in to create a cage around the stair. Shae figured it was a security measure and elected not to ask. They passed numerous guards holding point along the stair, each equipped with leather armor bearing a red rose in the center, a shield of similar dress that was shaped like a bear’s fang and curved inward, and a sword. They followed Maelynn around this and around the outside of the tree, continuing to rise. The bark of the tree was ancient and mossy, and seemed to be sparkling gently when looked upon closely. Shae ran his hand along it instead of the rail of the stairs, and pleasured at the soft feeling.
They came to the juncture on the stairs. The stairs that had led up the other side of the path joined in the middle. The only way to go now was back within the tree. Sure enough, it was another floor bearing no resemblance to the lobby; the entirety of the floor had been carved into a massive central hallway that branched off around several points.
“What is this place?” Shaelildrian asked; it seemed as though he had interrupted Doradus from asking the same question.
“This is the administrative building, where all the pages of Sylael are written. Licenses to use magic, property lines, and decrees are all written and maintained here. This is the only center of its type in Veras.”
Doradus spoke up, “do the humans not use such resources?”
“They do, alas, only in Pritchard, their capital city, across the sea. I suppose they have something like it in Dulmoran, but I would imagine it’s on a smaller scale than this facility. Aren’t you going to Dulmoran, child?”
“Yes, ma’am,” said Shaelildrian, taken aback by her knowledge of him.
“Your voice does not reflect joy. I understand.”
“Understand what, ma’am?”
“Dulmoran is a human city.”
Shaelildrian paused a moment, glad that the focus was off of his dismay coupled with surprise, “is there something wrong with humans?”
A sour look fell over Maelynn’s face. “I’ve never much liked dealing with their type. Humans are imbued to believe that money is most important in life. I simply despise their material nature. Please, this way.”
Shaelildrian stared up at her for a moment before looking forward once again. He remembered the elven indebtedness that Seldras had spoken of, but did not expect one such as the captain of the guard to hold such hostility towards humans.
Maelynn took a sharp turn up another staircase. This pattern of following her down a hallway to the other side and then up another staircase that wound the perimeter of the tree repeated itself four more times. Shaelildrian was getting dizzy as he walked the last set; he was higher up than he had ever been. It did not frighten him, but it was perturbing nonetheless.
The top of this staircase saw a total change in the surroundings. The tree had four main boughs that branched off almost evenly in all directions; the entire top was canopied over thanks to these four main branches, and Shaelildrian was almost positive that he could see elves with bows standing atop the boughs that were extended here. There was a building in the middle, almost like a temple; it was beautiful, with pillars running all the way around the outside. The temple’s plinths and columns were carved beautifully, and even more intricately than the wood. Shaelildrian recognized the material to be a similar marble to the spires around the city. He entered behind Maelynn.
Looking forward, he saw rows of columns, and an adjacent row of guards standing before each column. The room was very well-protected, it seemed. These guards were slightly different from the others that they had seen on their way up; almost the same, but their armor was shinier than leather; Shaelildrian guessed some form of metal. He also took special interest in their swords which had longer hilts than Shae was used to seeing on a weapon. Some sixth sense told him that there was more than meets the eye to these weapons, as well.
And in the center, up a short flight of marble steps to a dais in the center of the semicircular back of the room, was him. The Lord of the Elves. His face was venerable, old and carved wisely. He looked even grimmer than Seldras, but his blue eyes held a certain radiance and kindness that made him appear thoughtful instead of mean. His hair was pure white and went straight down to his shoulders, parting above his eyes like a curtain. He wore beautiful white armor with gold trimming that brimmed like a wave at his shoulders. Directly in the center of his breastplate was a red rose, his symbol. He was magnificent-looking, and he stood to greet his guests. His cloak flew out behind him, black on the inside and white rimmed with gold on the outside. Again, the red rose. He came down the stairs and glanced at Maelynn, who immediately retook her post at the first column. He smiled at the pair from Dainshire and shook Doradus’s hand. The throne he stood behind was a modest chair with a massive back piece that branched outward like the very tree they were in. “Welcome to Sylael.” He crouched slightly, his balance perfect, “and you must be Shaelildrian,” he extended a hand, “and honour to meet you, child. I am Shellihn, Lord of the Elves.”
Shae was not hesitant at all in shaking the revered elf’s hand, but he was quite sure that he’d started to brim with sweat. He swallowed hard, his heart pounding. The very presence of such a figure was overwhelming him. “Sir.”
“Please, call me Shellihn. Your courtesy is not needed here, not now.” He turned away and began up the steps again, but turned back, one eyebrow quirked, “though it was appreciated.” He chuckled under his breath and then sat once again on his throne. “Will you be staying with us this evening, sir and young sir?” He grinned at his hypocrisy in calling them both by that which he refused to be called.
Doradus stepped forward a pace and spoke on their behalf, “uh, no, sir, to reach the Trials in Dulmoran, we’ll be making haste and leaving as soon as our meeting is adjourned.” He was shell-shocked. The Lord of the Elves had requested audience with his son. Every day, every time he thought about it, how his wife had miraculously given birth to Shaelildrian, he had feared that the child was not his. To be in the audience of one of the most power magic-wielders in the world… this was an affirmation to his beliefs. He could not help but feel slightly embittered. Of course, Shaelildrian looked nothing like him – he was his mother’s son, through and through.
Shellihn smiled, “I’m afraid you’ll be doing no such thing.”
Doradus paused and stared at the Lord of the Elves. What else was there to do in the face of power?
“You’ll be dining with me this evening, both of you.”
“My Lord –”
“Doradus, is it? Have faith in me. He’ll arrive to the trials on time. After all, ‘twas I who motioned that the boy should find himself in attendance there.” He paused, as if reflecting on his own words, then leaned forward a little, with a whispery tone, “tell me, boy… why is it that you selected to be a hunter?”
Shaelildrian didn’t know. He had been honest to his parents when he said he hadn’t known – now what? Now what, before the face of the closest thing the elves would ever have to a king? What could he say? At least he knew who was responsible for his admittance into such trials.
“I – I like bows, sir –”
“– Shellihn, my boy.”
“Sorry, sir – I mean, Shellihn. I just like bows. The feel of them, the sound they make – the arrows, too.”
There was a glint in Shellihn’s eye. “That’s an uncommon answer. Most people say that they just enjoy killing things.”
“Aren’t they fools for that?” Shaelildrian blurted. He tensed his hands, wanting to move them straight for his mouth, but held his posture. Doradus felt his legs shoot straight up, as if his body wanted to rocket through the ceiling. Did Shaelildrian just say that?
And Shellihn laughed, “Almost, boy, but the fools find themselves guarding the mountains that separate us from the orcs in the south.” He finished laughing and composed himself. “The hunters require a greater sense of skill, determination. Even ambition. The best of the best of the fighter’s guilds move far beyond this; they become elf-warriors, the elvish army’s soldiers. The better of even these may choose to become the Elven Elite, a task split between whatever odd-jobs of violence the kingdom has, and the guarding of my chambers.”
“Odd jobs?”
“Tasks appointed in secrecy. They are rare. Alas, secrets. But there is a reason I bring them up and a lesson to be learned in the bringing, Shaelildrian. Not everybody you meet will be your friend. And even the ones that are friendly need be watched. There are bad people out there, humans, dwarves, even elves. Everybody must be watched carefully. That is why I have the Elven Elite.” At last, he leaned back in his throne. “Well, you’ll be staying for dinner, then?”
“ – My Lord, we –”
“ – Good.” Shellihn smiled. “My escorts will affix you with attire suited to the table we’ll eat at. I will see you both at the fifth stroke past noon.”
Shaelildrian and Doradus turned around. Doradus put a hand upon Shaelildrian’s back and pushed him along to move him faster. Sure enough, the escorts, a pair of young elf mistresses, awaited them with the most courteous of smiles and slender garbs.
“We welcome you to the Lord’s chamber,” said the first.
“We were just leaving,” snapped Doradus.
“Will you be staying for dinner?” asked the second.
“I’m afraid not. We’ve a journey to attend to.”
“Ohhh, it is a shame! And at the Lord’s request, too…” mourned the first.
“We’re not attending, father?”
“No, Shae, we have to move, too much ground to cover.” Doradus looked back at Shellihn, who wore a smirk, clearly able to listen in on the conversation taking place.
“I’m quite sure that you’re ensured against tardiness from the Trials, elven sire,” said the second with a smile.
Doradus stopped at the top of the staircase, with Shae by the arm and the two women breathing upon his back. He spun, releasing his son like a top. Shae recouped his balance and frowned at his father’s actions. “What do you mean, ensured, mistress?” Doradus spat.
Both looked mischievously at Doradus, and the first spoke. “Do you think that the Lord of the Elves would write a piece of recommendation –”
“– only to snatch it away by means of staying for supper here?” finished the second.
Doradus did not respond.
“The giant ravens of Evertide will take you there, with at least a day to spare.”
Doradus again did not respond. The giant ravens that this maiden was referring to were known as Phyrefinches. They were immense, with glossy black wings and a normally nasty temperament; only the druids had ever found a way to tame them, and their majesty in captivity was renowned throughout the land. His facial expression had not changed much. “What of our luggage? Shaelildrian’s things?”
“An equestrian has likely already departed with your personal belongings.”
“What?” Doradus looked angry. He was rather tall for an elf, and with his years being a craftsman, had more muscle than the average elf. This made him rather imposing when he was angry.
The two mistresses backed down from their roguish behaviour.
“Shellihn had the entire situation looked after, sir,” said the first, showing signs of guilt.
“He was to fly you with class, he wishes to bring the boy there himself.”
Doradus hesitated. “Himself?”
“Yes, sir.”
“And where am I to go?”
“Home, if you like. He wouldn’t say so himself –”
“ – because he didn’t want to hurt the boy’s feelings –“
“ – but we don’t mind!”
Shaelildrian felt his lungs choke on themselves. His father was leaving him? Tonight? It had been hard enough on him to say goodbye to his mother, and though he was far closer with her than Doradus, it was still a tough blow for realization to take.
Doradus paused to weigh the circumstances. He looked down at Shae, the son whom in some black pit of his heart he knew wasn’t his, and when Shae looked back, the contact gave him the answer. They didn’t even look alike. He looked back up at the women, “very well. I will depart this evening.”
Shae cried out in protest, but when all three pairs of eyes met his at the top of the staircase overlooking Sylael that afternoon, he felt the breeze caress him, and steal from him some of his sorrow. It was just something about the wind. He silenced immediately.
Doradus looked down to the ground after having glared at Shaelildrian’s conflicted face, then back up at the two women. “Will my horse be ready?”
“Yes, sir, only one of the two was taken in travel to Dulmoran for your son’s luggage. The other has been fed and watered already.”
“Good.”
The entire walk down the tree was silent. Shae led, his hand gripping the rail. His eyes did not leave that which was right before him, and yet he was looking through everything that he saw. Nothing held meaning at that moment. In just a few short minutes, he would be more alone than ever in his life. He may never be this alone again – he didn’t know.
As soon as they reached the bottom, Shaelildrian turned to face Doradus. It was a look that Doradus had never seen before; such contempt in the child’s eyes. Without hesitation, the child turned back away, staring out blindly at the world around him, eyes swollen with tears.
Doradus strode forward and put a hand upon his Shaelildrian’s shoulder.
Shaelildrian spun quickly, “Why?”
Doradus just looked at him calmly. He looked at the child that wasn’t his.
Shaelildrian raised his voice. “Why can’t you take me?”
“It’s a great honour to –”
“I don’t want it! I want you! And mother! And that’s it! I don’t need honour!”
At that, the two maidens accompanying the Terrasils halted, unsure of whether or not the Lord of the Elves had been insulted. Several citizens also stopped on the street to watch the scene unfold. And unfold it did. The seven-year-old offborn prodigy continued his rant.
“This isn’t fair! I don’t want this! I want to be home, with Alanea, my friend, and mother, and you! I don’t want to go to some stupid school in the middle of nowhere; I don’t want any part of it!” At that, Shaelildrian turned and fled down the road, leaving a stunned Doradus standing near the bottom of the Lord’s verdant palace, leaving Doradus with no choice but to follow.

This concludes the portion I'll post for the time being; there are thusfar 8 chapters. enough support will bring about a few more. :)

EDIT : A bunch of people have glazed over this thing --- anyone in possession of some feedback?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.