Report G20 protest violence prompts over 400 arrests

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
picture.php

More than 400 people were arrested as violence broke out after thousands of anti-G20 protesters marched through downtown Toronto on Saturday, prompting police to use tear gas in the city for the first time.

“I am profoundly disappointed in the criminal acts which have taken place,” Toronto police Chief Bill Blair said at a news conference.

"We have seen windows broken and police cars burned. It is very regrettable that such vandalism and violence could not be prevented. I want to assure you that the persons responsible will be held accountable.”

Four police vehicles were set ablaze, store and bank windows were smashed and much of the area was put under security lockdowns. The Integrated Security Unit said 412 people were arrested.

Throughout the evening, police moved people east along Queen Street. Police were still trying to move small groups out of the downtown core early Sunday, hours after most demonstrators had gone home.

Shortly before 8 p.m., a police vehicle that had been damaged earlier in the day on Queen Street, just east of Spadina Avenue, was torched. Police in riot gear descended near the burning wreckage to push people back.

Two police cruisers were torched earlier at the corner of King and Bay streets in the heart of the financial district, sending plumes of black smoke into the air. As one vehicle burned, protesters surrounded officers who were trying to protect the second car, CBC reporter Amber Hildebrandt reported on Twitter.

This and More Here

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the vandals are trying to do.
I'm also not sure what the $1B was used on.

Several hundred police in riot gear — many on horseback —
wtf.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
They have mounted police in Los Angeles, near or in Downtown. And not just during riots, on regular patrol as well. Not as common as a patrol car, but you see one here and there.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
We see them in the nearby cities because of how hard it is to legally drive a patrol car on a sidewalk or between cars.

Then again we're very close to the fairy land of Canadia. If you count one of the world's largest lakes between us very close, that is.

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
There's over 600 arrests now actually. Tear gas and rubber bullets ftw!

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
They have mounted police in Los Angeles, near or in Downtown.
We see them in the nearby cities
I've never seen mounted police. :( and I live in Canada.

True but mounted police originated (if I spelled that right) in Canada.
I was under the impression that mounted police originated in the first place that had a government and horses. Probably a few thousand years ago.

I thought that they denied using rubber bullets?

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
Thousands of years ago there were no police, they used the military and guards to enforce the law. Guards, to my understanding, didn't use horse. The military saved horse for war. When actual police came around I do beieve Canada was the first to have them mounted.

Well back on topic of this story, all the riots and what not were started by a group called "Black Bloc", those same people caused the same kind of riots in vancouver during the olympics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.