Gaias Retaliation ORPG Alpha Release

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Gah I want the update, being patient really hurts sometimes.

So I'm guessing, from what I've read, is that it will come out early March? Man.. I don't think I can last that long without exploding into a million pieces.

Anyways, to the point of this post.

Take as long as you need, it's only alpha, and half the people on this forum don't even realize that. When the first stable version is released, that's when it all counts, and that is (hopefully) when it becomes even more popular.

I have but one concern: I see that you guys put your dungeons/houses on the same map, and with updates along the way, how will you manage the space as a result? (The inside of the houses and dungeons)

(Might be a stupid question, but I'm still interested in knowing, seeing as the space of which it takes up currently is a good chunk of the map)

Good luck!

S0ulseeker

Reaction score
Gah I want the update, being patient really hurts sometimes.

So I'm guessing, from what I've read, is that it will come out early March? Man.. I don't think I can last that long without exploding into a million pieces.

Anyways, to the point of this post.

Take as long as you need, it's only alpha, and half the people on this forum don't even realize that. When the first stable version is released, that's when it all counts, and that is (hopefully) when it becomes even more popular.

I have but one concern: I see that you guys put your dungeons/houses on the same map, and with updates along the way, how will you manage the space as a result? (The inside of the houses and dungeons)

(Might be a stupid question, but I'm still interested in knowing, seeing as the space of which it takes up currently is a good chunk of the map)

Good luck!

To answer your question this map is currently 480x480, the biggest sized warcraft3 map you can possibly have. It literally takes like a minute to force scroll from one side of the map to the other. Even with all the houses that they have placed onto the map and all the dungeons that they have added they still have about 3/4 of the world still unterrained and available for free space. The real concern that the Gaias Retaliation team will most likely run into is map size. Running out of places for terrain won't be an issue, but wc3 maps only allow 8mb worth of information and with all the custom triggers and doodads implemented into Gaias these will be the first to run out, long before the terrain is ever finished.

meOme

Reaction score
I guess 5-6mb of that are imported stuff that can be made smaller if necessary.
Without imports, even a full terrained 480x480 map hardly goes over 2mb.

ElChupanebre

Reaction score
Is it at all possible for multiple maps?
I would like to think it wouldn't get to that point, but there is always that possibility.
I seriously doubt that, though.

S0ulseeker

Reaction score
Is it at all possible for multiple maps?
I would like to think it wouldn't get to that point, but there is always that possibility.
I seriously doubt that, though.

If you made the game a campaign game, then yes you can run make the game in multiple maps. The problem with that is campaign games are only single player so you would not be able to have the ORPG aspect of the game and as a result youl would have no parties etc. I believe Starcraft II however, will have this feature available in all maps which is one of the reason Zwiebelchen highly anticipates Starcraft II. He will have more features available for him in map making and as a result will be able to create much bigger and better maps with the sc2 world editor. Either way Gaias Retaliation is an amazing way to go out on the wc3 editor, one of the greatest ORPG's I've played on WC3 and I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm curious and anticipating to see what this map will look like within its final stages :]

xXGauntletXx

Reaction score
Actually, since his map has save/load codes, it would be very easy to make multiple maps. All you have to do is copy the save/load code triggers to each map.

S0ulseeker

Reaction score
Yes but what I think he was talking about was multiple maps within the same game, so you just go into new loading screens when you enter the new zone. Yes it is possible to make multiple maps that way and just make the save/load work for all the versions but that would require rehosting the map every single time you wanted to enter the new zone then rehositng again if you wanted to run back to the other one.

burnt19

Reaction score
Lol that math guy just kicked me from a gaias because i had a high lvl cleric and ranger, same as him. Does he think u get less xp with more ppl or something? anyway he has some problems.

Eich

Reaction score
Yeah we were dead sure about this fact long before burnt ;)

The idea with the multiple maps is quite good, just make another map for the high level content. It's not really a problem that you have to rehost the map if you want to go back, because you actually would never want to go back ^^

AGrimDeath

Reaction score
If I can remember correctly, he said that he is going to remove the custom music to make room for the rest of the terrain/triggers/doodads and stuff. (( Roughly 3-4 mbs of custom sound ))

And music was one of the most awesome parts, =\

Eich

Reaction score
Nah maybe the first 5 hrs the music is quite nice, but then it becomes a bother. I turned it off long ago to listen to other stuff. But it's true in the beginning the music was really motivating. But I can't imagine that those 3 min of music could have 3 or 4 mb? Does WC force u to use a strange file format?

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If you say it like that, then MP3 IS a bad file format.

About the update:

We were planning to bring Gaias Retaliation to official Beta state with the upcoming content upgrade, as the most important features are implemented then.
And about the "early march" release: Well, I still got one week of exams to do, but after that, we will put some time into mapping again. However, "early march" will not happen, as the list of bugs we need to fix first gets longer and longer every day. Hopefully, the new official forums we will have during the next days will help us working faster.

tw3tye

Reaction score
First of all since we don't know your accounts name we cant load your characters ... even if we knew it we could only play off BN which is pointless.
Check your codes - i had problems loading, rewrote a code 6 times and still it didn't work ... so my girlfriend rewrote it for me and despite the fact that the code was exactly the same Her worked :p. Might be a space somewhere etc.
If the code is past 31.01 it will work.

I tried it evriwher at frend at neibhour eaven mine grandmother :shades: i made her tipe dont work dont worry i can tipe it well but im thinking i got something on new map i stared from scrach again alredy 30 but i cant get group to get items i had . well no hope for it can give u screen if u want to try mby mine pc something.I want mine monk im support guy c:) and if u want il send u screen

tw3tye

Reaction score
:confused: im not scupid User tw3tye when saved when load tw3tye =,= ofc i dont use user E.X. qbam when loading tw3tye save code :) sry im kinda in deppresion

Eich

Reaction score
Sometimes I've got a feeling that on this board are more trolls than normal persons...

@ Zwiebelchen, what compression did you use? I think a reasonable amount of 72 bit/s shouldnt result in a file of 4 mb. But well I don't know the lenght of the file, so I'm sure you will work something out ;)

TheHelperSux

Reaction score
without the custom music, the map wont fascinate new players as it did with us, so it wont attract many newbies to the map.

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sometimes I've got a feeling that on this board are more trolls than normal persons...

@ Zwiebelchen, what compression did you use? I think a reasonable amount of 72 bit/s shouldnt result in a file of 4 mb. But well I don't know the lenght of the file, so I'm sure you will work something out ;)
The two music files that are still inside are 3 minutes each and have a size of like 1100-1200 kb each. This is as far as we could compress it without a very noticable quality loss.

The biggest "damage" to the map size is caused by the custom icons (like 2 or more megs until now) ... I think we will re-use a lot of those icons in the future, to reduce the need for any more icons. I think this is a fine trade, as custom icons are not THAT important if you ask me. I prefer having more models instead of icons.

When you think of how much high quality models we already have in the map, I have a good feeling about being able to create a Starcraft II remake of Gaias Retaliation ORPG without having to abandon the fantasy setting.

Without custom music and custom icons (As SC2 allows custom interfaces that can have 3D models, we won't need custom icon models there), we would still be below 4 mb. Also, we are intending to go a very different approach on buildings and interiors there, that reduces the need of high poly house models and instead grants us more diversity in building design.
Also, I think models for SC2 will require A LOT LESS custom skins than you needed for WC3 models (mainly because of all the wings of liberty campaign interactable-cinematic highress textures that are already in the SC2 mpqs), which results in even more stuff you can import before reaching the limit.

It sounds weird, but if you ask me, 8 MB in SC2 will be a lot more than 8MB in WC3, if you do it right.

Eich

Reaction score
without the custom music, the map wont fascinate new players as it did with us, so it wont attract many newbies to the map.

This may be true, but whats better:

a) A great map with lots of locations

b) A never finished map because the music is just too great

I think the devs know that removing the music is a painfull loss, but a necessary step to completing the map.

Zwiebelchen, you thought about implementing midi files? It's small, and you could implement a lot more files. You just need a genius who composes a great soundtrack. I mean, some old GameBoy melodies have becomes classics despite the fact that they are just midi...

The biggest "damage" to the map size is caused by the custom icons (like 2 or more megs until now) ... I think we will re-use a lot of those icons in the future, to reduce the need for any more icons. I think this is a fine trade, as custom icons are not THAT important if you ask me. I prefer having more models instead of icons.

True..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.