Tutorial General Terraining :)

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first tutorial here, so helmets please :thup:

I plan on going into detail on my various style of terraining. I've often been told that it is quite nice, so why not try my best to share that with all you guys who may need the help.:)

If there are already tutorials of these kinds of terrain specifically, im sorry :eek: this is just a general "atk's terraining methods"​

Oh, and by the way, i don't know if its a rule to attach files and pictures and such used, but im sorry, when i'm done there will just simply be too many :[ i'm hoping these can be overlooked this one time.... if necessary.

First, what's needed:
1. Newgen http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/992656/jassnewgenpack5d.zip
-- if you are new to the editor, or fluent in Gui and the works, please don't knock this off. :/ i did thinking it was simply for Jass benefit, but i couldn't have been more wrong. This is an extremely useful tool that amplifies every aspect of the editor i used prior. Please, get it.
2.misc data http://www.thehelper.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5199&d=1151419788
-- another extremely useful "hack" if you will, the main point i use this for is the cliffs :) it allows those super steep cliffs you see every once in a while.
example:

25qd3dj.jpg

--simply make another folder in your Warcraft three directory, name it "UI" and put that file in it :D how easy is was that?

Important to remember:
--Whenever starting a new map, that you plan on applying similar methods as these, make it a new map with "deep water" as its default tile.

e6rvbq.jpg

--Then, de-select, if it isnt already, "enforce water height limits" "ctrl + shift + w"
--Then, either raise the cliff level if you want the entire map up, or just use the "raise" tool to make a bit of terrain pop up.

well, i suppose it's time i actually started talking about terraining huh? :p

Terrain: Swamps
jkubk3.jpg

Directions:

necessary tiles:
--Lumpy grass (ashenvale)
--vines (ashenvale)
--dirt (ashenvale)

imports necessary:
none :p

Step 1: getting the basic landscape
--make a single spot that is watery, using the "lower" tool

4lg50y.jpg

--then, (and this is where the WE lag (if you have any) actually comes in handy :D) use the "plateau" tool, and spam it everywhere.

27y379j.jpg

--then, simply smooth it out, using the "smooth" tool

funndd.jpg

NOTE: if you are unhappy with the amount of water that was left after you smoothed out the terrain, just repeat the plateau process, and smooth again :] i had to repeat three times in the picture given.

--next, we apply the "lumpy grass" tile to the entire area
2le166v.jpg

Step two: trees
--believe it or not, details of the most basic doodad, a tree, have dramatic effects on perceived terrains. In this case, i use a custom tree doodad, based from the felwood tree.
--Altered stats are:
Maximum Scale: 2.00
Minimum Scale: 1.00
Tinting Color 1 (red):100
Tinting color 2 (green):125
Tinting color 3 (blue):125
--Throw em' in there :D but, remember, Tree's typically don't grow in the water, unless its some weird mangrove thing, in which case you probably can just look at the preview of the model you downloaded and see how they used it :p
ra81om.jpg

Step Three: detail doodads-n-things
I apologize for the altered terrain, i accidentally closed newgen while i was writing this >.> so i had to start over real quick. The same concepts still apply though ;o

-- the first thing we start with is the "felwood rocks" under environment on the felwood tap :p
I find this model to be very swampish looking when applied the right way.
changed stats:
max size :1.2
min size : 1
max roll angle: 180 (This makes your doodads tilt when you put them on sloped surfaces, and the 180 means they will go WAYY around ;])

2ev82v7.jpg

NOTE: i typically hold shift when placing these, it bunches the rocks together, making their pathing smaller until you let go of shift. Using that is very helpful in terraining certain things ;o if you didn't know about it already.

--then, i like to add grass to the rocks. makes them look slightly overgrown, as if they have been there for a long time :p
xf6bnr.jpg

--then, for a nice touch effect, i like to add some fissures in with those rocks. The rock part of the fissure blends in quite nicely with the other rocks placed, so by holding shift and placing the fissure's in the clusters of rocks in the terrain, you gain a quite nice effect.

--also, i added a couple lillipads to this. While the fissures give an almost toxic, and bog feel to the terrain, the lillipads remind the person looking that there is still water, and that it occupies a lot of the space of the terrain. Given that lillipads don't typically grow in tiny spurts of water ;o
wmo5jo.jpg

Step four: finishing touches
Now that we have the majority of the work done for the area, we come into the very quick, but very effective and altering, work.
--Here we add slight tile variation, which takes that general, and slightly boring solid "lumpy grass" tile and turns it into a more exciting, and adventurous place. Start by adding vines to the higher parts, typically around the tree areas.

4rxcgg.jpg

--Then, in some of the more watery places, i add some dirt.

246ju5w.jpg

Finally, the things that bring it all in, the weather effect(s) and all those little misc. doodads ^^​

--I almost always use "green fog (heavy)" in swamps and bogs, just because i like that "toxic" feel to them, but it all depends on taste, i suppose. Rain, for instance, could be a nice substitute, though i think that would give more of an ashenvale, forest, kind of "feel" to it. :p

--Also, little doodads that you can put in there to have a more realistic approach can be inserted :] mushrooms, a prime example, can be placed very close to logs to give a mold appearance, or a similar aspect to rocks.

n2bmz8.jpg

Walla!@!

n2bmz8.jpg

allmyswamparebelongtoyou ^^​

final product?

6h3n8n.jpg

r7u7hu.jpg

Here i've attached the map i terrained in this post :] look at it, and try to fill the missing, upper, half with the rest of the terrain :D practice makes perfect. http://www.filedropper.com/swampthememap

NOTICE: I'LL BE UPDATING THIS AS I FINISH VARIOUS KINDS OF TERRAIN ;3

...unless you dun like it :( then i could just not...

anywho, hopefully this is useful to at least one person :/
but, to come:
Forests
deserts/tauren-like places >.>
Snowy mountains

Just snowy places :p

Islands

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Great swamp. The arrigator is scary, is it biting?

And try using the terrain fog.
testkq.png

Chaos_Knight

Reaction score
WOW! AWSOME TUTORIAL! Next terrain tut, should be Winter Place. :thup: +repuation
//Chaos_Knight

Sui-cookie

Reaction score
thanks guys ^^
and i forgot all about terrain fog =o!! but, how did you get an editor window in a screenshot w/o loosing quality? :[ photoshop?

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Press print screen button on your keyboard and paste it into paint.

Sui-cookie

Reaction score
i do that :/ but paint gives it horrible quality, like that first one i did. the "create new map" thing.

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
Depends what format u use. If you use JPG, then don't wonder why it's so horrible. :)

Otherwise, nice cute tut for newbies. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.