Sci/Tech Gold nanoparticles that make leaves glow in the dark

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Researchers in Taiwan think they may eventually be able to replace street lamps with trees laced with gold nanoparticles that turn their leaves into bio-light-emitting diodes.

Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) are much more energy efficient than traditional light globes, but researchers in Taiwan led by Yen Hsun Su and colleagues at Academia Sinica in Taipei and the National Cheng Kung University in Tainan wanted to find a way of making LEDs that were even more efficient than those currently available. They succeeded by synthesizing gold nanoparticles and implanting them into leaves of the Bacopa caroliniana plant to induce bio-luminescence in them.

Bacopa caroliniana is a perennial aquatic or semi-aquatic creeping herb commonly used as an aquarium plant. The color of the leaves varies in proportion to the amount of light, turning bronze to almost red when exposed to high light levels.

The green pigment in leaves, chlorophyll, is bioluminescent when exposed to high wavelength (400 nanometers (nm)) ultra violet excitation, but the wavelength is much shorter for the photoluminescence of gold nanoparticles, and they emit light at 400 nm. The light is localized at a nanoscale and the nanoparticles made by the Taiwan team suppresses emission blinking, which is a problem already known in gold nanoparticles. Using their sea-urchin-shaped nanoparticles (dubbed nano-sea-urchins or NSUs), Su was able to excite chlorophyll in the leaves to emit red light.

Want to know More?

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
The headline reminded me of most of the forest-night scenes in Avatar.

Anyone else? No? Just me? Okay... Screw you guys, then.

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Mmmhmm, Avatar's forests will soon be on earth. Beautiful sight, no? Yay for Taiwan!

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Does implanting the gold nanoparticles infringe the rights of the plant or did the trees agree to it? o_O

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Silence is golden.
We don't need to put gold on them leaves, they're already shining!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.