hard drive question

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
ok, well i have a fairly old hard drive and i was wondering if it will be compatible with my newer system as long as i have the correct connection? if i have nothing to worry about (compatibility wise) do i just plug it in, start up my computer, then reformat it?

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
I think it'll work fine. But these days you would want a 250 GB HD enclosed and then a portable 80 GB for more valuable files.

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
Pretty much, yes. Your connection will probably be ATA if it is an older hard drive, or Serial ATA (SATA) if after 2003 (when SATA was made). An IDE (ATA) connection will be indicated by a grayish ribbon looking cable connecting the hard drive and motherboard. A SATA will be a thin, flat cable that connects on smooth jumpers.
IDE and SATA

Depending on your motherboard, you may have both IDE and SATA connectors. There are also adapters you can buy.

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
ok cool, i'll give it a shot later tonight. also, just thought of this...if by chance the harddrive does have a virus or something, is there any way for it to spread to my main hd?

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
That is really the point of a virus :/
If you have any fears, wipe it first on your old pc, then plug it in to your new one.

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
that what i thought. the only problem with wiping it on the old pc is that im not sure if it still works =P. hmm the only reason im paranoid at all is because my sister had it for about a year and she's not the most tech savvy person. ah well, we will see what happens...i'll try putting the old pc back together and find out if it runs.

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
You just need to be able to boot off of the CD. You can reformat the hard-drive in the windows setup. So there's no need for you to go into Windows.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
w/e said:
I think it'll work fine. But these days you would want a 250 GB HD enclosed and then a portable 80 GB for more valuable files.

i have a 80 gig harddrive but everything else is good. lol i weny broke after aupgradeing like all my other parts.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
It's not bad, but to be safe, people want what I said. I also only have 1 80 Gig.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.