Help with Blink Strike Ability

IsenhaRt

Reaction score
Anyone knows how to make s Blink Strike ability like the one with Mortred in DotA...and is it possible that the unit will return to its original position where it cast the ability?
...+ rep who will help me!

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
First of all: This

It's possible. You'd need to add an event against target to make you teleport back once the target receives damage caused by you and then teleport caster back to original position.

IsenhaRt

Reaction score
i used to work it like in RPG that one by one attack...so i come up to a blink strike ability that kinda similar to it! can you teach how to make a blink strike ability?

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
What codes are you familiar with? GUI, vJass?

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
For Blink Strike in GUI (which is all I know) you could do this:

1) Make an ability called Blink Strike, which does nothing and targets enemy units.
2) Make a trigger something like this:

Event: A unit starts the effect of an ability
Condition: (Ability being cast) equal to (Blink Strike)
Action: Set temp_point = Position of (Triggering unit)
Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (target point of ability being cast)
--------Deal damage here-------- (I don't have WC3 open and I'm not exactly sure how the trigger goes)
Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (temp_point)

This will move the caster, damage the target, and move the caster back. You could add some Cinematic touches to it like effects so that it looks like a blink.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
yyyeah... it moves the caster to the point as soon as he moves there... What's the point of moving him again?

Add a wait or a timer or something. The only problem with waits and timers is, Well how do you make it MUI afterwards?

Arrays and custom values are what I use.

Plenty of hard work payed off for an hour of entertainment =)

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
lol. Yes it is a rather pointless move. But that's exactly what a blink strike would look like if it brought the blinker back to his/her's original position. Making it more efficient would be just make the cinematic effects of a blink near the target unit and hurt the unit along with it.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
yyyeah... it moves the caster to the point as soon as he moves there... What's the point of moving him again?

Add a wait or a timer or something. The only problem with waits and timers is, Well how do you make it MUI afterwards?

Arrays and custom values are what I use.

Plenty of hard work payed off for an hour of entertainment =)

To make it MPI you need two arrays, one to keep track of temp unit and the other to keep track of temp position. MUI is much harder. But because of the way this spell works, that shouldn't be an issue.

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
The problem with waits in a real blink strike ability is, that they are either to long or to short:

Hero has high atkspeed:
*Blink*
*Hero attacks*
*Hero stands there for a few moments or even attacks again*
*"Blink" back*

Hero has very looooow atkspeed (maybe by a negative buff):
*Blink*
*Hero TRIES to attack*
*"Blink" back with no attack*

I would refer to Rainthers idea proposing to handle with the dmg taken event maybe even use a DD system to blink back when the hero attacked.

If you would disable the hero from doing anything else in this time it would be enough to refer to the dmg taken event without the orbing thing of DD systems because there are hardly any possibilities to damage the enemy with the hero on another way.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
I don't think blink strike lets the "blinker" (I will call it that from now on) actually attack. I think it makes the blinker move in with the blink art. It plays the blinker's attack animation, deals damage to the targeted unit via triggers. If you want to move the hero back right after that, just add a move unit back to original position (stored in a variable) while playing the blink art again.

Jirinal

Reaction score
Moridin.... you forgot one thing. Wc3 does not like fog of war, and i had issues that the unit will be reseted to the centre of the map when the "old position" is fogged.

Joccaren

Reaction score
This is what my Blinkstrike ability that works exactly like the one you want. This is the trigger:
Trigger:
  • Flash Strike
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Flash Strike
    • Actions
      • Set FlashStriker = (Casting unit)
      • Set FlashStrikerPoint = (Position of FlashStriker)
      • Set FlashStrikerTarget = (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Flash Strike for FlashStriker) Equal to 1
          • (Mana of (Casting unit)) Greater than or equal to 120.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Move FlashStriker instantly to (Position of FlashStrikerTarget)
          • Unit - Set life of FlashStrikerTarget to ((Life of FlashStrikerTarget) - 220.00)
          • Unit - Set mana of (Casting unit) to ((Mana of (Casting unit)) - 120.00)
          • Wait 0.80 seconds
          • Unit - Move FlashStriker instantly to FlashStrikerPoint
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Mana of (Casting unit)) Greater than or equal to 140.00
              • (Level of Flash Strike for FlashStriker) Equal to 2
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set life of FlashStrikerTarget to ((Life of FlashStrikerTarget) - 320.00)
              • Unit - Set mana of (Casting unit) to ((Mana of (Casting unit)) - 140.00)
              • Wait 0.45 seconds
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Mana of (Casting unit)) Greater than or equal to 160.00
                  • (Level of Flash Strike for FlashStriker) Equal to 2
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Set life of FlashStrikerTarget to ((Life of FlashStrikerTarget) - 420.00)
                  • Unit - Set mana of (Casting unit) to ((Mana of (Casting unit)) - 160.00)
                  • Wait 0.10 seconds
                • Else - Actions

Silver

Reaction score
You should put the condition that checks the most mana first, because otherwise it will just use the least mana possible always, even if you have more.

Joccaren

Reaction score
What do you mean? Put the mana check where. Also, as far as I can tell this hasn't leaked in my map.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Silver it works fine because it also checks for the exact level of the ability Flash Strike.

Summoned

Reaction score
This is what my Blinkstrike ability that works exactly like the one you want. This is the trigger:
You can actually shorten that by a large amount just by using some math. ;)

Trigger:
  • Flash Strike
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Flash Strike
    • Actions
      • Set FlashStriker = (Casting unit)
      • Set FlashStrikerPoint = (Position of FlashStriker)
      • Set FlashStrikerTarget = (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Set FlashLevel = Level of Flash Strike for (Casting unit)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Mana of (Casting unit)) Greater than or equal to (100.00 + (20 x FlashLevel))
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set life of FlashStrikerTarget to ((Life of FlashStrikerTarget) - (120.00 + (100 x FlashLevel)))
          • Unit - Set mana of (Casting unit) to ((Mana of (Casting unit)) - (100.00 + (20 x FlashLevel)))
          • Wait 1.15 - (0.35 x FlashLevel) seconds
        • Else - Actions

Although I suggest you use the Unit - Damage Target command instead of directly setting the health of the target, otherwise kills made in this way won't count toward the caster.

IsenhaRt

Reaction score
None of those (GUI and vJass) I know how to use..sorry guys,im just a newbie in WE! :( but i aapreciate all of your suggestions and great ideas...

I will credit all of you in my map once, i finish it!
:D:D:D

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
IsenhaRt you're going to have to learn GUI or vJass (suggest GUI first). There are no other ways that I know of to make triggers...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.