Host leaves game = Game over?

woot

Reaction score
I was playing my game on battle.net and when I was killed and remade the game, people said that the game ended when I left.

I can't think of anything I've done that makes the game end when the host leaves .. why would this be happening?

Also another question:

Gray is a special neutral player that I don't want anyone able to select .. but I want people to be able to select anything else before the game starts (alliances, race, etc) how can I limit this? (i was thinking maybe switch their color to some unused color somehow on game initialization)

MrApples

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
If the host leaves, Id say theres a 50% chance that everyone will be kicked from the game IF theres another host.

If your the only host everyones kicked.

V

VG Emblem

The game isn't supposed to end when the host leaves technically. It's only if the host lags out or gets disconnected from Bnet. So yeah, you die then leave = game on, host lags out/gets disconnected = game over.

Jo.O

Bored...
Reaction score
Thats not right, i can host maps i even if i leave without lagg or dissconnections people tell me how evil i am not letting them play...
i THINK it might depend you the host connection..., but what do i know :nuts:

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Also depends on your firewall and port because I used to play with a old firewall and I always got disconnected but when I got a new firewall even if he leaves I still get to play

300 Posts

T

Tieme

No no no. It depends on whether or not there is another valid host. If you are the only one who can host and leave, the game ends for everyone as there is no host. If there is another valid host, then b.net tries to transfer host...ship.....to the other host...sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

MrApples

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Tieme said:
No no no. It depends on whether or not there is another valid host. If you are the only one who can host and leave, the game ends for everyone as there is no host. If there is another valid host, then b.net tries to transfer host...ship.....to the other host...sometimes successfully, sometimes not.
Basically what I said :)

Try typing /dnd and noone will tell you how evil you are.
During the whole game there must be at least one person who can host(i.e. has real IP, or has set up port forwarding). If you are the only one who can host and you leave the other computers will be confused as to where to send the data packets.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why are people keep replying to thread form last year ? I saw a thread from May 2005 at the top of this page... Anyways yes it depends if yes there is another host in the game. Well I've been testing it many times with friendsand it is that.

D

deathtomato

Just wondering, is it possible to make another valid host or reduce the chance to drop in any way? i hve noticed in maps i make and other noobish (for lack of a better term) maps people always seem to drop when host leaves, but in DotA's and Enfos it happens very rarely.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
deathtomato said:
Just wondering, is it possible to make another valid host or reduce the chance to drop in any way? i hve noticed in maps i make and other noobish (for lack of a better term) maps people always seem to drop when host leaves, but in DotA's and Enfos it happens very rarely.

That is probebly just becuse:
a) Dota and Enfo often get a full house, meaning that there is a bigger chance to have another valid host.
b) Dota and Enfo players often host games themself, so they is often other valid hosts in a game.

If you read this thread carefully then you will notice that it isn't your map it depends on, it is the players of your map.
If everybody played with open ports then there shouldn't be any problems.

The only thing you can do is to reduce the lag in your map to reduce the chance that the host drops.

G

Griffen

If you exit WC3, I find that causes the game to end. If they just leave the game, I find that doesn't end the game (unless there isn't a host).

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yea it seems to go in that way. But depends, as usual... B.net is messy sometimes :D

(Off-Topic) Griffen, are you CaptGriffen ?

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.