How many heroes should an AoS have?

How many heroes should an AoS have?

• Total voters

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
As the title says, how many heroes should each team have in an AoS? For those who don't know what an AoS is it's like DotA, Human vs Orcs, Battletanks etc.

I'm currently working on an AoS just for the fun of it, and I want your opinion on how many heroes each team should have. Please comment why you think like you do. (Optional of course.)

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
about 20 unique heroes would be enough :D

emilemil1

Reaction score
absolutely atleast 10 for each team, if every team has 5 players and 1 computer, then you should have atleast 20 heroes to choose from imo

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
3, 5, 8, 10 is a bit silly.

Assuming your AoS has 10 players, the first 3 options wouldn't be possible.
The first would only be possible in a 2 player game (Or an uneven amount).

And 10 players and 10 heroes.. 1 hero per player. That sucks.
You definitely need more.

The poll should also be grouped.
For example:
> 11
11 - 20
21 - 30

etc.

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
about 20 unique heroes would be enough :D
Well actually I have never seen a map with even one unique hero. But I will give it my best shot to make balanced and fun heroes... (Which is the absolutely hardest and most important part when you make hero maps...)

Romek, hehe the reason to why I don't too much heroes in my map is because I have seen so many hero maps with lots and lots of heroes but maybe only five of them are good. It's close to impossible to create 20 balanced heroes for two teams, that would be 40 heroes that have to be balanced with each other. 40*3 normal abilities and 40 ultimates that needs to be balanced. It would be so much work that it would take months just to balance them all, and them I'm not including the time it takes to create these abilities.

In short: Better small and good than big and bad. (Note: This is just my opinion.)

emilemil1

Reaction score
Then you should look up to DotA as your god ^^

they have managed to balance what is it? over 50 heroes?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Romek, hehe the reason to why I don't too much heroes in my map is because I have seen so many hero maps with lots and lots of heroes but maybe only five of them are good. It's close to impossible to create 20 balanced heroes for two teams, that would be 40 heroes that have to be balanced with each other. 40*3 normal abilities and 40 ultimates that needs to be balanced. It would be so much work that it would take months just to balance them all, and them I'm not including the time it takes to create these abilities.

In short: Better small and good than big and bad. (Note: This is just my opinion.)

You could at them in bit, by bit. Maybe start with about 15, then add another 1 with every map release, so it's easier to balance.

No. :thdown:

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
Well, I intend not to compare with DotA since it is that huge, the creator is even getting sponsored for creating new versions of it and there are huge competitions within it. In fact, DotA is so big that it could become it's own game.

But please, don't bring up anything more about DotA since it is strictly forbidden to discuss within that manner.

Edit:
>You could at them in bit, by bit. Maybe start with about 15, then add another 1 with every map release, so it's easier to balance.
Well then I think I would like to start with 5. ^^ Otherwise they won't become very balanced at all...

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
It's close to impossible to create 20 balanced heroes for two teams, that would be 40 heroes that have to be balanced with each other. 40*3 normal abilities and 40 ultimates that needs to be balanced. It would be so much work that it would take months just to balance them all, and them I'm not including the time it takes to create these abilities.

actually, to make a really good map you NEED months....
otherwise, there would be millions of good maps because people are creating maps all the time and usually they (at least me) finish it in a week-two...

without any effort there is nothing that people would massively play

I never created and I will never create a good map that people would really like, it's to much for me:p

EDIT: btw, who voted for 3? xD

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
DotA is not balanced one bit. ;) (Not saying I hate it :)) But let's not get off topic.

Well, more heroes doesn't mean good but it doesn't mean "quality over quantity" is everything. They don't always need to be heroes that are unique and original to the core; as long as they are good-paced and fun heroes that don't bore people. If it's a slow map, get slow-paced heroes that have spells that last well the whole game; if it's a fast map, get fast-paced heroes that have spells that can be used quickly.

But I would suggest having at least 12 heroes for a testing start, but for a final, primary release that you want to be played over and over without you intervening, I would have more than 16 good heroes.

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
Dinowc, I know you need to put down a lot of work to make a good map. Beleive me I know. My first map was a complete disaster, it was a hero arena with about 14 heroes that wasn't balanced one bit. I have just recently released a new hero arena that actually is very balanced. But that's because I only balanced the spells to each other and everyone can use all abilities. Back on topic.

Thank you thewrongvine for the excellent feedback. You gave me some poles to stand on while creating this map, thanks.;)

Leazy

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well actually I have never seen a map with even one unique hero. But I will give it my best shot to make balanced and fun heroes... (Which is the absolutely hardest and most important part when you make hero maps...)

So, your saying Pudge is not unique?

Glaivesrit

Reaction score
All the AoS maps ive played have had at least 20 heroes. One had 10 and it was just fail. A good state of mind when thinking about hero types is to realize you can have a Swordsman, an Axeman, and a Hammer Master; don't just group them all into a "Warrior" class...

Just go and make your heroes diverse, dont expect to do it all in a day.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
Glaivesrit, thanks you gave me some more ideas for heroes. And no, I'm aiming to have the first five heroes completed in two to three weeks.

BarzahdX

Reaction score
I love making heroes, and I certainly think there needs to be more than 10(total, and on each team), because whether they are good or not, the game won't be any fun to play after you've played every hero twice...

A few months ago I started making my AoS(/love DotA Template[they should rename it AoS Template]), as I slowly add items and heroes into the map, I try to make sure all abilities and heroes are balanced(which is difficult without someone to play with, my brothers won't help cause I always win.) At this point, I'm getting closer to completion of the first, officially released version, but it's actually become more of a hobby.

If you need unique heroes I got that and a bag of chips.. Believe you me. If you'd like an example, I'd be willing to do a 1v1 with ya. :p

Crusher

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
All good maps have 20 Heroes (both side) ,because It's more fancy . :)

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
3, 5, 8, 10 is a bit silly.

Assuming your AoS has 10 players, the first 3 options wouldn't be possible.
The first would only be possible in a 2 player game (Or an uneven amount).

And 10 players and 10 heroes.. 1 hero per player. That sucks.
You definitely need more.

The poll should also be grouped.
For example:
> 11
11 - 20
21 - 30

etc.

Read the first sentence in the original post
As the title says, how many heroes should each team have in an AoS?
Not how many players in total

I'd say 8 to 12 should be sufficient, assuming the heroes are unique - any more, and you're probably just going to be making copies of other heroes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.