How to get units to auto cast spells.

Jonny-Reaper

Reaction score
Hi i have been trying to get units to auto cast their spells, eg Chain lightning (neutral hostile) and Death Coil (neutral hostile). I tried adding the spells to the "default active ability" on the object editor but it doesn't seem to work. Does any one know any ways to make them autocast? Thanks :)
NOTE: all of the spells im trying to autocast are standard spells.

Stringel

Reaction score
"default active ability" is only possible if the ability is actually possible to activate, like searing arrows for example.
I think you want the computer to use abilities much like an AI computer. Either you have to activate AI for the computer of which you want to cast spell or you'll have to trigger their casting.

Jonny-Reaper

Reaction score
yes the AI casting sounds about right, but these are player owned units, not sure if that would effect it or not. how would i go about setting up the AI casting? i havent a clue how to do that :thdown:

Chaos_Knight

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - A Unit Is Attacked
??

then:

Trigger:
  • Unit - Issue Unit Order - Human Mountain King( Thunder Clap)

EDIT: 1000 POSTS! YAY

Jonny-Reaper

Reaction score
Events
Unit - A unit is attacked
Conditions
Actions
Unit - Order (attacked unit) to attack (attacking unit)

thats as far as i've got with trying that trigger, i cant seem to find how to change the attack part with the casting of spells.

Scotty

Reaction score
you'll want to look for:

Issue order to (attacked Unit) to (HumanMountainKing-Thunderclap), or something like that.

Edit:
you'll want to scroll down and find "Issue Orders with No target", you'll find it with a bunch of orders that are sorted into no target, target and target area. because Thunderclap has no target you'll find it in the no target one, if you wanted to say use Flamestrike then that would be in "targeting an area" and then you would have to specify the area like (position of attacking unit)

Jonny-Reaper

Reaction score
that would be right, but i dont want a mk to do thunderclap, i'm using custom units with standard unchanged spells, and they arent in the Attack list in the trigger, so im not really sure what to do

Scotty

Reaction score
You won`t find it in the attack list, and i simply used Thunderclap as an example, note that MK has nothing to do here, it`s how the spell is named in GUI;

Human Mountain King -Thunderclap

what you want to do is:

1. Start a new Action
2. Hit "U" or scroll down to all "Unit-" type actions
3.continue to scroll down and you'll find:
"Unit-Issue Order Targeting.."
4.Pick the one that fits your spell, if it's say, thunderclap, then you'll pick "...With No Target"
5.You can then change the fields to perform the spell:
"Order (attacked Unit) To (Human Mountain King - Thunderclap)

Jonny-Reaper

Reaction score
5.You can then change the fields to perform the spell:
"Order (attacked Unit) To (Human Mountain King - Thunderclap)

this is the part with the problem, i cant find the units or spells im looking for, they are custom units, and it only shows standard units with their origional standard spells.

Scotty

Reaction score
yes, it lists them with all their original names as well as the original unit that they are tied too, but test it out.

i know it can be confusing, confused me when i first started, look at it this way:

Ignore the "Human Mountain King" bit, it's just there, all it does is sort all the "Human" spells with the other Human spells.

treat the "thunderclap portion as the Base ability/original ability/root abiltity.

if you gave your Hero Death Coil and wanted him to use it when attacked then you would use targeting a unit "undead Death Knight - Death coil"

even if you changed the name of Death coild, the unit that can cast it, it's art effects and what not, the Editior still treats it as a "death coil"

I hope the clears up a few things :)

Jonny-Reaper

Reaction score
im sorry but i've just come across a problem with it, I only wanted this to effect the units with the spells, but it effects heros too, is there any way to cancel the trigger for heros? so it would only work for units, thanks

Never_Quit

Reaction score
im sorry but i've just come across a problem with it, I only wanted this to effect the units with the spells, but it effects heros too, is there any way to cancel the trigger for heros? so it would only work for units, thanks

Add a condition to the trigger so:

Unit is of type (caster)
Unit ability cooldown is at 100%

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.