The Uses of Variables [7.1]
Creating a Variable [7.2]
Example of a Variable [7.3]
Second Example of a Variable [7.4]

How to Learn World Editor [8]

Last Notes [9]

XYZ0.1
Expanded Chapter
0. Table of Content - Displays all the chapter and mini-chapters in the tutorial.
1. Notes Before Reading -

XYZ1
Notes Before Reading
Please note this before you continue reading this tutorial.
  • English is NOT my first language, I lived in U.S.A. for a year to its better then average but still not perfect. I use ‘Word’ and a dictionary so it should make a readable tutorial.
  • I’m pretty new myself ( and this is one of the reasons I wrote this tutorial please check ‘Introduction to this Tutorial’ – XYZ2 ) so please forgive and mistakes and let me know about them.
  • This tutorial is made for new people, however more experienced people still might find it interesting, or at least worth reading.
  • This is my first tutorial; I spent a lot of time on it and worked hard for it.

XYZ2
Introduction to this Tutorial
So after reading my notes you decided to continue reading, that encouraging. :) This tutorial will teach you the very basic of World Editor (WE) WarCraft version (WC), and, more importantly will give you tips how to continue learning a lone. I myself just finished the learning process and I think it might even help you understand because some designer might find some things obvious while to us, beginners, it might just sound like foreign language.

If you prefer to read a tutorial written by other people, that have better English and more experience using World Editor, you could find lots of this here:

XYZ2.1
What You Need to Know
I will start from about 0, meaning even if you know close to nothing about World Editor you should be able to understand this tutorial, if you don’t please feel free to post in this thread any questions. However I do expect you to know how to play WarCraft (For example: What are heros, how you can more units, how to type massages and so on).

XYZ2.2
How to Use This Tutorial
As you can see in the “Table of Content” and in a small text above each topic name there is a small text made out of the letter XYZ + and certain number. This will ease your chapter search. Type CTRL + F and you will get a search window, type XYZ + the number that is written in the “Table of Content” and you will immediately find that chapter.

XYZ2.3
Last Note
The core of all this tutorial is the 8th chapter, everything before that is to give you the basics, if you have basic knowledge about World Editor and just want to go on and read only what is the most important jump to the 8th and last chapter.

XYZ2.4
So, Let’s Begin
Ok you read so far, you say to yourself ‘sure, let’s give it a shot!’ so, I’m going to say just few things before letting you continue with your reading. This is a long tutorial, and some of the topics might no be that important for you, you can skip them, I’ll try to make each chapter independent so you won’t have to read everything in order to understand just one little thing that interests you. Again you CTRL + F and type XYZ + Number to jump from topic to topic quickly.

XYZ3
Basic Would Editor

World Editor Screen:

World Editor will help you create new games. You will usually play those games a lone, or with other players, making the computer an effective player is very hard and usually not worth your time. In order to player the games you created you will either have to play alone by entering to WarCraft – Single player or if you want to play with other players go to WarCraft - Battle.Net.

You can do a lot of things with the World Editor; you can create a tag game, risk game, RPG game, horror game, team game and much more!

The problem with World Editor that it’s very easy to learn the basics, but to do complicate and fulfilling things are a whole other story.

XYZ4
Terms You Should know
Here is a very basic list of terms you should know.

XYZ4.1
Managers & Editors
List of the most simple and important screens in World Editor.

• Trigger Editor – Your strongest tool as a designer, with that you can ‘twist’ the game totally and make it a whole new game. Want a player to get a quest? Use Trigger! Maybe give him money and few units? That’s right, Triggers!!
  • Object Editor – You can change stats of abilities, buildings, heros, units, upgrades and many more things in the screen! Want to make unit larger, or have more hit points? Do it here. Make ability cause more damage, or cost less mana? Object Editor is what you are looking for.
  • Sound Editor – Manages all you sounds and music. You can import sound and music files and use them in you map. For example you want your unit to say ‘Hello’ once someone selects it? Use the sound editor.
  • Campaign Editor – Manages general information about your map, for example you can edit the loading screen with the campaign Editor.
Those are the most important screens, (that are simple to use!!) if anyone feels that I skipped on one please let me know.

XYZ4.2
Units’ Types
List of all the general unit types.

• Normal Units – Normal units might attack from a close range or far range, they may be able to cast spells as well. Most units can learn new abilities via upgrades and get stronger when the player that controls them gets new researches.
  • Hero Units – Heros are similar to normal units, but they have few special features. They gain levels during the game, each level makes them a little stronger and let them learn new ability.
  • Building Units – Unit that can’t move, will usually do one or more of the following things: 1. Add to food Cap. 2. Damage enemy units. 3. Sell units. 4. Sell researches and upgrades.

The rest of the terms you should know already, don’t need to know at the moment or could find very easily what they mean.

XYZ5
Basic Object Editor
I will explain here the very basics of object editor. There a lot of tutorials that explain much on the object editor, please go to the 2 links I posted in the start of the tutorial to try and find those tutorials. I will talk only on the units creating section because it’s the simplest one, that’s all you’ll need for a simple map.

XYZ5.1
Abilities
The ability section in the Object Editor (all the values that their name starts with ability - )
Is the smallest one, yet it’s very important, especially when you edit heros. In this section you simply give units spells they can cast.

XYZ5.2
Art
The art section (again all values that start with Art - ) is not relevant for combats or strategy but it’s simply makes the game more elegant. You can change totally how units will look like. You can take a peasant and make it look like a red Paladin, you can make an archers shoot flying sheeps, all things of those type can be edited under art.

XYZ5.3
Combat
Combat effects how unit attacks, its defense and so on. Each unit can have up to 2 different attacks, each time the unit hits a random attack out of the two will be preformed. You can decide maximum and minimum of attacks (thus make a footmen for example shoot like a archer) at what rate you will attack, how strong, how much defense a unit got and so on.

Now I want to explain quickly about how you can calculate attack damage. There is the base attack number of dice how many sides each one of the dice got. When a unit attacks it will roll the number of dice we told it to do in the Object Editor and will sum up all values + base attack. Let’s give you an example: Let’s say a FootMan got a base attack of 11, it rolls 5 dice, each dice got 4 sides. The minimum damage will be 16 and maximum 31 (16-31). The computer will roll 5 dice; each dice can show a value between 1 and 4 because each dice got 4 sides. Say we got 1, 1, 3, 3, 4 a total of 12. Now the computer will take that 12 and add it to the base attack (11) 12+11=23! So the FootMan will hit it’s opposing target for 23 damage (ignoring target’s defense).

XYZ5.4
Editor

Nothing very important, it edits few things that aren’t critical.

XYZ5.5
Movement
Everything that got to do with movement. Movement speed, turning rate all those things.

XYZ5.6
Pathing
Pathing edits where units can move. Can they move through buildings,through units?

Thanks quauhtli !

XYZ5.7
Sound
Edit the sounds of your unit here, Make a FootMan say things like peasant will do for example.

XYZ5.8
Stats
Probably the most important section in the Object Editor. It edits lots of things that as: Cost, build time, hit points, mana points, bounty, etc. It also can change the very basics of a unit (change it to building or hero type, things like that.)

XYZ5.9
Techtree
You will find technical staff under this section like requirement that are needed before you can build that unit, or what build that unit can build, what upgrades affect it and so on.

XYZ5.10
Text
And finally the last section, text. Using the text section is the best way to let people know more about the unit. Give it a name, description and so on.

XYZ6
Basic Triggers
This is more complicated then what we talked about. Actually much more complicated when you use Triggers in high levels. Triggers are the heart of the game and in my personal taste the most fun to edit. In most maps almost everything is made in triggers, even spells and units sometimes.

Now the way Triggers work is this: there is a event, once the event is met then the trigger will run (in rare cases not used), condition, all the conditions must be true in order the trigger to proceed, (optional). And last the action which is usually the longest part of the trigger (have to have an action, otherwise the trigger will do nothing!!).

Trigger Screen:

XYZ6.1
A Little More
Ok here is a little more about Triggers. First you will see the Triggers’ name, then the event (represented by a little flag), under that paper with a green arrow on it which is the conditions and then under it a film icon which represent the actions. If ANY of the events the trigger will shoot but ALL the conditions have to be met before continued the Trigger (unless you do OR condition, don’t worry about that now).

Now, when you create a new event you click on the flag, look up until you find the flag in the top menu ( ) click on it and then you will find lots of charts, we’ll talk about that later, with those charts you will create the triggers. The same way you can create Actions ( ) and Conditions ( ).

XYZ6.2
How to Create a Trigger
Now once you got into the charts (by clicking on event/condition/action) you will find this screen:

You will see 2 white boxes one on top that is pretty small and one under it that is bigger. The first one represents the type of the action/condition/event. For example there are unit type of action and player action type. The second is specific one, for example under unit action type you could find move unit, kill unit and many more possibilities. Clicking on the arrow that is by the white boxes views the possibilities and you can choose whatever one you want. After picking on both white boxes options you will see that grey box fills up with blue, red and black text. Black text you can’t edit, blue you can and red you have to edit.

XYZ6.3
Example Trigger
Now we have enough basic knowledge to know how to create a very simple Trigger. Let’s say I to do this. If any hero moves to a region I will call TheWitchRegion then the player owning the hero will get a FootMan. I’m going to go with you step after step don’t worry. First of all here is how the Trigger will look like:

Code:
Create A Unit
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters TheWitchRegion <gen>
    Conditions
        ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Center of TheWitchRegion <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees

This is the Trigger now let’s look carefully at it. The event is a unit enters TheWitchRegion, good, that what we wanted, right? Now look at the condition. Triggering unit is a hero equal to true. First of all what’s a triggering unit? Triggering unit is the unit that triggered this trigger, that unit that caused the trigger to work. So if the triggering unit is a hero proceed with the trigger, if the unit is NOT a hero then stop and don’t go on. Now the actions says create 1 footman for the owner of triggering unit at the center of TheWitchRegion (ignore the rest). Now can you figure out what I did here alone? What I ordered the game to do is this. Create 1 footman for the player that owns the triggering unit. Remember, triggering unit is the unit that causes the trigger to shot. So putting it in a clearer way what I’m saying is this; create a footman that is controlled by the player that controls the hero who just got into TheWitchRegion.

XYZ6.4
Harder Triggers

This is a very basic Trigger now let’s move few levels up, I’ll now show you 3 triggers that are much harder to do. If you are new I suggest you practice simple triggers before going on and reading the rest of this chapter because it might confuse you. Skip to the 8th chapter.

Ok in the next trigger what I will do is this. I’ll do the exact same thing but I’ll also add this command; if the triggering unit (you should know by heart what it is now) is not a hero, thus a regular unit we will turn it to a rabbit instead of giving the player that controls the triggering unit a footman. Again this is a little harder, don’t get angry if you don’t understand this, it takes sometime, but again I will explain everything step by step.

Code:
Create A Unit
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
            Else - Actions
                Unit - Replace (Triggering unit) with a Rabbit using The old unit's relative life and mana

Ok as you can see the event is the same thing, we don’t need to change that right? The event is still referring to TheWitchRegion. But I did delete the condition, sounds like a odd ‘move’ but everything will be clear in a second.

Now looking down you see I created an action that says this If/Then/Else (If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)) this action let me give it condition, if the condition is true then it does one thing if the condition ISN’T true then a completely other action is preformed. Something like this, which is an action inside another action, is called Loop Action. Ok as you can see I moved the condition that was at first under ‘condition’ to the If/Then/Else action. Now if the triggering unit is a hero it will do one action, if the triggering unit is not a hero it will do other action. Now I putted the create unit action in the ‘Then’ action meaning if the unit is really a hero the player controlling the hero will get a footman. Now look at the else action. The else action means that if the unit is NOT a hero the unit will be replaced by a rabbit that has the same % of life and mana as the triggering unit had.

You can also do loop inside a loop inside a loop and so on… Let me show you example of a loop inside a loop.

Code:
Create A Unit
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
            If - Conditions
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
            Else - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Player 1 (Red)
                    Then - Actions
                        Do nothing
                    Else - Actions
                        Unit - Replace (Triggering unit) with a Rabbit using The old unit's relative life and mana

Ok until the first else action it’s exactly the same right? Now in the first else action I create another If/Then/Else. The condition (The If) is this: Owner of the triggering unit is equal to player 1 (red) so far so good? No if that’s true (Then…) then don’t do anything, thus the unit will NOT become a rabbit. However if it’s not true (meaning player red doesn’t control the triggering unit) turn it into a rabbit.

Loop actions don’t have to be If/Then/Else, they can be for example group loop action. The next trigger is using what we learned so far but at slightly higher level, you need to read it carefully in order to understand it.

Code:
Create A Unit
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
            If - Conditions
            Then - Actions
            Else - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Owner of (Triggering unit)) controller) Equal to User
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in TheWitchRegion <gen>) and do (Actions)
                            Loop - Actions
                                    If - Conditions
                                        (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Equal to Witch
                                    Then - Actions
                                    Else - Actions
                                        Do nothing
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing

This seems much more like ‘WOHA!’ right? Well there here actually only 1 action and 1 condition I have yet to explain to you. As you can see once I reached the first else (again, thus the unit is not a hero) there is another If/Then/Else. The If is, the owner of triggering unit is a user. That means that if the player that controls the triggering unit is a player (not the computer, a living man like you and me) then go on with the trigger, if it isn’t then do nothing (I chose this condition only because in most more advanced maps you use this condition at least once). Now we reached to the odd action pick every unit in TheWitchRegion and do actions, HUH?! Well actually it does exactly you would think it does. It picks every unit (in turns) that are in TheWitchRegion and then does actions. That’s another loop action; it creates an action in an already existing action! Now let’s go on… If the picked unit (the unit that the pick every unit in TheWitchRegion is picking at the moment) is a witch then replace the triggering unit with a rabbit, however if it’s not a witch go on.

Side note for all interested: I made in this mini-chapter (that was in a size of 2 chapters…) about loop actions just to give you a feel how triggers are like, they all depends on each other and there are so many possible outcomes and options, I could of course chose pick any topic and show how to make more complicated triggers with it, but I think that’s not too complicated, and yet, interesting, not only that, but you will need to use loop actions a lot during your editor career. :)

XYZ7
Basic variables
Ok I’m going to keep this chapter as short as possible because it’s really more advanced stuff. Please read basic trigger – harder triggers (6.4) before going on and reading this chapter.

Variable Window:

XYZ7.1
The uses of Variables
Variables got many uses I, here is a short list of the most important things you can do with them.

[/LIST]
[*] The most important use – Make a ‘chain of triggers’ if you want some triggers to follow the exact same function that is easy to define in one trigger but hard in other you can label the function as a variable and then represent the function in other triggers by the variable.

[*] Make game lighter – If you use Variables correctly you can make your game a lot less ‘laggy’ and make it much easier and faster to play.

[*] Create new materials – There are things that are impossible to create without variables such as dialogs (I don’t expect you to know what it is but keep that in mind).

[/LIST]

XYZ7.2
Creating a Variable
To create a variable go to the variable Menu (Icon: ) create on the green X to create a new variable. Name it. There are lots of possible variables’ types pick one that will serve your needs (I suggest you will see a Variable tutorial for more information) and decide if it’s an array or not. Array will make that certain variable a variable that can store more then one type of information (again check out a variable tutorial) and then pick it’s size (how many kinds of information it can store). This about Array as a second name to your variable. You are done with creating you variable!

XYZ7.3
Example of Variable
I will give an example on how to use a variable to connect 4 triggers. In this trigger what I will do is this; once the GhostMaster dies (could be any unit) when a hero dies he will learn a skill Ghost’s Anger, however he will be able to use it only once then he couldn’t use it anymore, even when he dies he won’t learn that again. Again those are not complicated Triggers and I will explain everything.
GhostBoleen is a Boleen variable, array. Boleen means true/false.
Code:
Set Boleen
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set GhostBoleen[(Player number of (Picked player))] = False

What I did is this; once the game begins it will do a loop action (pick every player in all players) and then set’s it’s variable to FALSE.

Code:
GhoestMaster Death
    Events
        Unit - GhostMaster 0001 <gen> Dies
    Conditions
    Actions
            Loop - Actions
                Set GhostBoleen[(Player number of (Picked player))] = True

Now what I did is this when the GhostMaster dies the game picked every player in all players and set their GhostBoleen to true.

Code:
Hero Dies
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
    Actions
        Wait 30.00 seconds
        Hero - Instantly revive (Triggering unit) at ((Owner of (Triggering unit)) start location), Show revival graphics
            If - Conditions
                GhostBoleen[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] Equal to True
            Then - Actions
                Hero - Learn skill for (Triggering unit): Ghost's Anger 
                Set GhostBoleen[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = False
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing
In this trigger I say that when a hero dies he will be revived in 30 seconds. If the player that owns the here that just dies got a true GhostBoleen then the hero will learn the ability Ghost’s Anger. And then I set back the GhostBoleen to false.

Code:
Destroy Ability
    Events
        Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Ghost's Anger 
    Actions
          Unit - Remove Ghost's Anger from (Triggering unit)

Now here I said that once a hero finishes casting the ability Ghost’sAnger then remove that ability from him, thus he can’t cast it again.

And that’s it! You saw how important variable can be, even when I create such a simple one.

XYZ7.4
Second Example of Variable
In this example I’ll do almost the same thing but with few differences.

• I will create a new variable, GhostPlayer which will be the owner of the killing unit.
  • Only a hero owned by the player that killed the GhostMaster will get the ability.
  • Now if any GhostMaster dies (before it was a specific one) dies then the hero can get the ability.
  • I will red out new lines.
  • Just read the Triggers and you will understand.

Code:
Set Boleen
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
            Loop - Actions
                Set GhostBoleen[(Player number of (Picked player))] = False
No change

Code:
[COLOR="Red"] GhoestMaster Death
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to GhostMaster
    Actions
        Set GhostPlayer = (Owner of (Killing unit))
        Set GhostBoleen[(Player number of GhostPlayer)] = True
[/COLOR]

Here if a unit dies and it’s type is equal to GhostMaster (so not a specific GhostMAster as it was before!) I set the GhostPlayer (the new player variable) to the player that is the owner of the killing unit and then it’s GhostBoleen to true.

Code:
Hero Dies
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
    Actions
        Wait 30.00 seconds
        Hero - Instantly revive (Triggering unit) at ((Owner of (Triggering unit)) start location), Show revival graphics
            If - Conditions
                GhostBoleen[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] Equal to True
               [COLOR="Red"]  (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to GhostPlayer [/COLOR]
            Then - Actions
                Hero - Learn skill for (Triggering unit): Ghost's Anger 
                Set GhostBoleen[(Player number of GhostPlayer)] = False
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing
I just added a condition here that states that the owner of the dying hero got to be GhostPlayer.

Code:
Destroy Ability
    Events
        Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Ghost's Anger 
    Actions
        Unit - Remove Ghost's Anger  from (Triggering unit)
No change.

Alright you are done! Go on to the last chapter!!

XYZ8
How to Learn World Editor
If you just read all the chapters and finally got to here, I hope you enjoyed so far. If you decided to skip everything and start reading from here, welcome!! Everything before this chapter was something like a forward (a long one) don’t worry this chapter is not very long (I know the Trigger and variable chapters are a real pain).

So you wonder yourself, ok, what is that supposed to be? Well here I’ll try to give you a little guide on how to learn a lone World Editor, it’s almost impossible to teach someone everything about World Editor, you can teach him the basics and very specific Triggers but not everything, this is why I created this tutorial, to teach you how to learn by yourself.

First of all the biggest tip I can give you is see other people works. Like if you want to be an author it’s suggested you read a lot, to get better vocabulary, different styles of writing and different world views, so you should do with World Editor. Don’t steal of course but look how people did certain Triggers, learn new ways to do things and so on. You will be surprised how many things you can learn by looking at one’s map.

Looking at other people’s maps doesn’t only teach you new triggers but ways to make shortcuts, triggers less memory killing or just in another way that might be more comfortable. There are certain triggers that are very stiff, but most can be edited and created in many different ways.

Also by looking at other people’s maps you can get new ideas on how to make a trigger that you had no idea how to do, or even get an idea for a new function in your game. If you are lucky enough maybe even get an idea for a whole new map that you think you would love to make, and love to play.

Second way for you to learn is to look at tutorials, (search in the 2 websites I linked at the start of the tutorial) most tutorials explain on a specific thing that are helpful in a lot of map and that’s exactly what you want to learn, useful things that you could use. For example how to create a LeaderBoard? How could you possibly know how to make one if there wasn’t a tutorial exactly for that?

You can read tutorials on something that you were looking for a while how to do or just look randomly at tutorials and you might learn something that you doubted if it’s possible.

Another tip is asking questions. I have been on this site for about 2 weeks and I probably asked more questions then anyone else, but each time I got answer for my questions I learned new thing that helped me on this map and will help me in the future maps I will make, that’s why I ask and that’s why people understand that if they can they should answer, and their answer is of course appreciated. :p

Simply playing with triggers helps just start doing random things go into charts check possibilities and remember them, know that they are possible and use it if you need to. Don’t waste all your time on learning new things though, it’s important to know how to make shortcuts and how to make triggers that don’t take a lot of memory.

The last suggestion I can give you is to make up triggers that you will never use. For example thought about something that could be cool, but just won’t fit in your map? Make it anyway, it will give you practice! And you might even use it when you make other maps, who knows?

If you will do all these you could pick up things fairly quickly and start making maps that are actually fun to make!

XYZ9
Last Notes
Well this tutorial is done! Got a little long but I had great fun making it. I hope you enjoyed reading it and you found it helpful, as I said it’s my first tutorial so it might not be a masterpiece but I’m pretty happy with it and I hope you are!

Few notes:

• You read the tutorial and didn’t like it at all? I completely understand, just please say it in a peaceful way, I worked hours on this tutorial and I want to ask you to appreciate my efforts even if they ended up to be something, that in your opinion is awful. I will be glad to hear what you got to say but when we are discussing it like 2 civilized people.
  • I will appreciate any feedback, I might use it to make a FAQ (frequently asked questions) and I will be happy to add anything I forgot to put in and fix my mistakes for the future (if I’ll decide to make another tutorial).
  • Anything you got to say you can post here, Private Massage me or send me an E-mail to [email protected]

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
It can be useful to people who just thought while playing Warcraft: "Ok, I' am going to make a map." It could shorten learning process what is good. For overall it should be ok. You have done hard work by writing it, thanks for writing it.

EDIT: Odd I can' t add +rep, dunno
reputation.gif
link dosn' t just open for me and it isn' t first time.

master maste

Reaction score
Well its a good lengthy tutorial, there are a few grammer errors (but I can handle that) also I am sure there is a tutorial made a long time ago about almost the exact same (I may be wrong)

anyways good job :)

S

Sunny_D

hm... thats really, really basic, but on the other hand, there are still many people that just started - or want to start - mapping and for those people it could be relevant to read. also a positive point is, that you obviously put quite a lot efford into this.

a little sidenote on your tutorial structure:

you could turn this kind of structure:

Terms You Should Know ………4
Mangers & Editors ……… 4.1
Units’ Types ……… 4.2

into:

4.0 Terms You Should Know
....4.1 Mangers & Editors
....4.2 Units’ Types

the list of content isnt very nice to read.

nonetheless, a +rep from me ;)

I

IKilledKEnny

Thanks for your comments. As for grammer mistakes I'm sorry, I read it few times while Word spell checking and I didn't find any errors, hope it's readable. :D

About the length issue, I know that it isn't short at all and most tutorials try to do "short and sweet" kind of thing but I really tried to give a solid base to someone very new. As I said in the begging, most chapters do not relay on other chapters so you can read whatever you want without reading the whole thing, but thanks for commenting if I'll do more tutorials I will try to keep the short! :rolleyes:

Tonks

Reaction score
Basic Would Editor

That's your title to the section; might wanna fix it ;)
There are a couple more mistakes, but nothing major.

There have been a couple tutorials about the basics of World Editor; I started one for RoC users a while back, though I never finished it.

I didn't read your entire tutorial, due to my short attention span, but the construct is very good, though I will complain about the table of contents, as well.

Your table of contents would be a bit more readable like this:

Table of Content

Chapters Expended [0]

Notes Before Reading [1]

Introduction to this Tutorial [2]
What You Need to Know [2.1]
How to Use This Tutorial [2.2]
Last Note [2.3]
So, Let’s Begin [2.4]

Basic World Editor [3]

Terms You Should Know [4]
Mangers & Editors [4.1]
Units’ Types [4.2]

Basic Object Editor [5]
Abilities [5.1]
Art [5.2]
Combat [5.3]
Editor [5.4]
Movement [5.5]
Pathing [5.6]
Sound [5.7]
Stats [5.8]
Techtree [5.9]
Text [5.10]

Basic Triggers [6]
A Little More [6.1]
How to Create a Trigger [6.2]
Example Trigger [6.3]
Harder Triggers [6.4]

Basic Variables [7]
The Uses of Variables [7.1]
Creating a Variable [7.2]
Example of a Variable [7.3]
Second Example of a Variable [7.4]

How to Learn World Editor [8]

Last Notes [9]

(If you want to copy that format of it, just click "Quote" and Copy / Paste.)

Another good idea would be to add 'Anchors' in. Anchors are spots in your post that can be centered on your explorer if you click a link that represents the anchor.
You can learn about them by clicking one of the links in the bottom left, under Posting Rules.

Overall a nice tutorial; +Rep :)

EDIT: Also, might want to change the title. "Tutorial: TFT World Editor: Getting Started"
You may want to provide some links to some more tutorials that cover specific things, like Variables and such. "In case you didn't get what you wanted from my explanation, you might want to go to this tutorial to learn more"

I

IKilledKEnny

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback and I'm starting to work on it right now.

Quauhtli

I have the right to remain silent.
Reaction score
Tonks said:
EDIT: Also, might want to change the title. "Tutorial: TFT World Editor: Getting Started"
You may want to provide some links to some more tutorials that cover specific things, like Variables and such. "In case you didn't get what you wanted from my explanation, you might want to go to this tutorial to learn more"
I agree, you should go to the Index to get some nice tutorials for the basics.
However, I must say that there are already some tutorials just like this one...
Anyways, still nice...
Quauhtli
(how come there are 10 tutorials coming out by the day now...people should find a GOOD thing to make a tutorial on and then make it, like they did before...)

EDIT:
IKilledKEnny said:
Pathing
To be totally honest I don’t know what’s that but I doubt highly that it’s something that you use a lot / important.
Pathing is really important! You dont want unit walking through buildings do you? Pathing has to do with where you can and cannot walk, and is very important for buildings and doodads/desctutables, but also important for units...
IKilledKEnny said:
Text
And finally the last section, text. Using the text section is the best way to let people know more about the unit. Give it a name, description and so on.
... text is needed to give a name, it isnt the best way.... you should clarify that a little more, though it wasnt that important...

I

IKilledKEnny

Bump. :) For all new members that missed this tutorial and think it might be helpful for them.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
Combat effects how unit attacks, its defense and so on. Each unit can have up to 2 different attacks, each time the unit hits a random attack out of the two will be preformed. You can decide maximum and minimum of attacks (thus make a footmen for example shoot like a archer) at what rate you will attack, how strong, how much defense a unit got and so on.

Now I want to explain quickly about how you can calculate attack damage. There is the base attack number of dice how many sides each one of the dice got. When a unit attacks it will roll the number of dice we told it to do in the Object Editor and will sum up all values + base attack. Let’s give you an example: Let’s say a FootMan got a base attack of 11, it rolls 5 dice, each dice got 4 sides. The minimum damage will be 16 and maximum 31 (16-31). The computer will roll 5 dice; each dice can show a value between 1 and 4 because each dice got 4 sides. Say we got 1, 1, 3, 3, 4 a total of 12. Now the computer will take that 12 and add it to the base attack (11) 12+11=23! So the FootMan will hit it’s opposing target for 23 damage (ignoring target’s defense).

Debug this.

D

D.0.G

I found the part about the variables quite useful, it's never something i really try to understand, but i have a better grip on that and i think i will be able to improve on that now.

S

Sykiatrik

my world editor program hasnt got any sign of object editor or ability editor or campaign editor :banghead:
has something gone wrong with the program or have i got a different version?
its the one that came with reign of chaos, i havnt got frozen throne.
also got a screenshot of the program while its running. any help would be awesome

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have The Frozen Throne installed? They are TFT-only features.

Reaction score
I do not think tutorials should get stickied on this forum, as nearly each of tutorial is usefull, and soon we might have so much stickies we would miss all the "normal" threads.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.