JASS / Channel Ability Question

B

BigNailCow

Hi all. I'm new to WC3 editing and JASS in general, but I've been programming in a multitude of languages for a long time, so my question isn't about syntax or anything like that.

Everywhere I've looked it says to use the Channel ability as a template for an ability that does nothing and needs to be coded in a trigger. Well, this works, but it's not exactly doing *nothing*. If models are specified in the various Art Effect fields, it creates the effects still. Is there a way to disable this without removing the models from the effect fields?

Here's the JASS part: Alternatively, is there a way to load models into these effect fields while a trigger is executing? I ask because I want to use the EFFECT_TYPE constants instead of model path strings.

Thanks!

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
<Is there a way to disable this without removing the models from the effect fields?
Now way that I know of, when an ability is casted then the game will look at the effect fields and create all effects that should be created. Some effect fields are ignored for some abilities.

<Alternatively, is there a way to load models into these effect fields while a
<trigger is executing? I ask because I want to use the EFFECT_TYPE
<constants instead of model path strings.
I fail to understand this question, all EFFECT_TYPE_*** constant are just meant to be parameters for GetAbilityEffectById() and GetAbilityEffect() so you can get the model paths for an ability.
You can get the model paths from an ability, not changing them at run time.
Even if you could you would still have to use model paths strings.

If you meant something else then please clarify your question.

B

BigNailCow

Well, I meant to change the effect fields in the trigger init (which obviously I'd need to have the model path strings for), and then to use the constants after that in the action function/subfunctions I'd need. So I want to change the field for the duration of the trigger. But I guess the version of the ability isn't local, so nevermind.

I just didn't want to keep using the strings over and over, but it looks like I'll have to for custom effect timing. Oh well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.