US News Lawsuit seeks to take 'so help me God' out of inaugural

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
A number of atheists and non-religious organizations want Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony to leave out all references to God and religion. President-elect Barack Obama will use the Bible Abraham Lincoln used for his inauguration.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Washington, the plaintiffs demand that the words "so help me God" not be added to the end of the president's oath of office.

In addition, the lawsuit objects to plans for ministers to deliver an invocation and a benediction in which they may discuss God and religion.

Last edited by a moderator:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. They're just a few words. Come on. People these days. I'm atheist too and I don't give a poop what they say. People just like arguing over nothing. Besides, people need to look up to a hope. If they said "We won't mention God because there's possibilities there isn't one" then people wouldn't have much hope in their own country (The religious ones at least)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
God I'm tired of this. Oh shit now I'm getting discharged because the Army doesn't represent any one religion....

Asehujiko

Reaction score
Being Anal About Tiny Grammatical Details Volume II: Atheists Can Do It Too! now coming to an election near you!

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
This is getting out of hand. As long as ones religion doesn't affect HOW they run the country and we stay free, people should stop being offended and suck it up. No offense to atheists but this is just ridiculous.

Seb!

Reaction score
As long as ones religion doesn't affect HOW they run the country and we stay free, people should stop being offended and suck it up.

Good point. Atheists have much bigger problems than the wording of the inaugural. They should be focusing on some of the larger Separation of Church and State issues. If they are shocked and offended by this, they aren't paying close enough attention. This lawsuit demeans the attempts of the well-meaning secularists.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
You can complain all you want about this, but they are being true to their constitution where the govt has failed to do so.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hey if it's getting America closer to being secular, why not?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Your forgetting who founded this country, not you.

You mean the founding fathers who would agree with my statement 100%?

Lay off the flames by the way.

Edit, just some proof
"Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth." - Thomas Jefferson (Notes on Virginia, 1782; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 363.)

Every man "ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience." - George Washington (Letter to the United Baptist Churches in Virginia in May, 1789)

"I believe in one God, Creator of the universe.... That the most acceptable service we can render Him is doing good to His other children.... As to Jesus ... I have ... some doubts as to his divinity; though it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the truth with less trouble." - Benjamin Franklin (Alice J. Hall, "Philosopher of Dissent: Benj. Franklin," National Geographic, Vol. 148, No. 1, July, 1975, p. 94.)

Seb!

Reaction score
Your forgetting who founded this country, not you.

The founding fathers escaped Europe so that they could have freedom from entwined Church and State and religious intolerance. In their time, belief in God was universal, but they are the type of radical humanists that would seek to renew the great American Dream of universal tolerance that the inaugural speech represents in our day and age.

One could even argue that the wording of the inaugural is crucial to our freedom. It stands for something.

Varine

Reaction score
However, since Obama is Christian than it makes sense to include God in the inaugural. What else is he going to swear to?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Swear to his country? His people? Job? Dunno...
Why do they even swear though? Not like they complete many of their promises. I wouldn't know though, I don't pay much attention to what politicians say and do.

But I agree, fighting over something simple like this is just stupid.

Seb!

Reaction score
However, since Obama is Christian than it makes sense to include God in the inaugural. What else is he going to swear to?

That's not the point. The point is that anyone could have been president, and therefore the inaugural should be universal. It repersents the possibility that anyone could be president. The only reason it was originally included was everyone used to belief in God.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Hmm... and does that swearing makes them more... president? o_O

I am an atheist, too, and I agree that they are suing over something really simple, but what is the point in that swearing, anyway? It's not like he will give a shit that he did that if he suddenly decides to become evil :p.

Seb!

Reaction score
I am an atheist, too, and I agree that they are suing over something really simple, but what is the point in that swearing, anyway? It's not like he will give a shit that he did that if he suddenly decides to become evil :p.

It's tradition. :p

Varine

Reaction score
Hmm... and does that swearing makes them more... president? o_O

Well the same thing is an issue in the Army. You don't swear to GOD specifically, but you do take a swear and people have stated that it implies God so now they can choose to say affirm instead.

What's the transcript for the inauguration? Anyone have it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.