Learning to program

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
Every language that has been listed so far is cross platform with the exception of visual basic...

Jak-Skell

Reaction score
Actionscript 2.

I write it, and it is used in creating Flash Games. TONS of tutorials, and you can then use it to make iTouch Applications and such.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Actionscript 2.

I write it, and it is used in creating Flash Games. TONS of tutorials, and you can then use it to make iTouch Applications and such.

I personally find it very limited to be only able to write flash games.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Actionscript 2.

I personally find it very limited to be only able to write flash games.
Seconded, it is rather limited, as most scripting languages. However one can make more than games, there are possibilities to make a couple of other types of applications.

OnTopic

I'm currently using Python which I find awesome, it works on Mac, Windows and Linux that I've tried. It's natural language syntax makes it very easy to get started with and learn, just open the API documentation side-by-side with the interpreter, start feeding it commands and watch you app come alive. It has a great standard library and lots of user-made modules if you are looking for something specific that you just don't want to do yourself.

I've also used PHP for websites, learned it, but now I've dumped it in place of mod_python which allows me to use python on the web. PHP is much to cluttered to go back to after using Python.

I've also used C++ with Allegro library to play around with making 2d games, never had the patience to complete a game but C++ is a neat language if you like extreme structure.

Might sound as if I praise Python, and I do, but with high probability it's because that's the language I'm currently using.

//==GooS

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I didn't notice he mentioned VB, but it's probably the easiest language to learn imo. Also Real Basic I believe is cross platform, I've never used it myself though.

Kind Regards

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I didn't notice he mentioned VB, but it's probably the easiest language to learn imo. Also Real Basic I believe is cross platform, I've never used it myself though.

Kind Regards

Of course VB is easy to learn, that's what it was designed to do.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Even though VB is easy, people shouldn't learn it. Or any Basic-based language.
Also, learning a language just because it's easier than other languages is lame. You generally can't use the easy languages for anything in your life. (Python maybe)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Also, learning a language just because it's easier than other languages is lame. You generally can't use the easy languages for anything in your life. (Python maybe)

also vb is proprietary to Microsoft and runs only on windows (without emulation/etc.) - dont limit yourself from the start

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Lol and why is that? it's very good and very easy to use, I develop applications with it :O

You learn easy languages to get you started...
I tried to learn C++ many times, and failed miserably (self taught), only until I had been using VB for a while did I start to figure things out in C++.
Ever heard of stepping stones, sure you could use C# or another language that is easy to learn.

If VB is what you call an easy language that you can't use in real life.. then I disagree.

also vb is proprietary to Microsoft and runs only on windows (without emulation/etc.) - dont limit yourself from the start
You only limit yourself if you don't ever learn anything else, you can still use RealBasic like I pointed out, which I think the syntax is similar, I've never used it myself.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
VB sucks because it was based on language that was thrown away in the seventies. Trust me, I used to be programming in VB too, I've moved on.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Above post is bull fucking shit.

Sorry Vestras, I just have to agree with this, without the swear word of course:rolleyes:

As far as I know windows is still built with basic as much as it ever was:( So I would not call it abandoned, it is limited to windows and that's it.
It maybe works for xbox as well tho since it is microsoft who owns that to?

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Lol and why is that? it's very good and very easy to use, I develop applications with it :O

Slow language is slooooooooow. That's why. If your running 100+ lines of code your coding to want a fast program.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
My application has over 4500+ lines of code, doing a lot of different things, it is certainly fast enough for me.
It even runs very well on my old acer laptop. Visual Basic is slower than C++ for sure, I'm sure there are some apps that would suck with VB, but it's not designed to create very high end programs like you use C++ for.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.