Looking for ideas for my map.

Sartan

Reaction score
Heya, me and my brother are working on a tbs-map for wc3, inspired of FF-Tactics to ps1 i belive, however we barley jsut started, that we got is a worknig turn system (with some modifications).

However that we are looking for is what you/uss/we/whoever would like to see in this kind of map, and for these who actually played final fantasy tactics and liked it, would like to see in a map like this that didn't exist on fft.

All ideas are wellcome allthough there is a high risk that it wont be used, or in worst case scenario, the map itself will never be finished :p

Ahh... and for these who dont know what TBS is, its Turn Based Strategy, that basicly means that all units that are controled by you or another palyer or a computer, take turns controlling one or all your characters for example moving or attacking another unit.

However our map is based on the unit with most speed (agility) will start and if you have over 20 speed (agility) you get an extra "turn" after the one with lowest speed (agility yet again), you can move how much you want per "turn" and how long oyu want based on how much stamina you have (mana). You can only do one action each "turn", as attacking or casting spells or using items as potions.

If you got any ideas fell free to post it, all help is appreciated.

Some questions i would like to know your opinion on:

Since i'm using my mana pool for movement, i have plans on using following steps for spells, it take x "turns" to cast spells, more turns as more powerfull the spell is, so you wont just use the strongest ability always, also after you successfull cast, the spell becomes unable to cast for x "turns".

Do you think this will work?

My current damage system is based on attributes, for an example melee normal attack deals str + lvl x 2.5.
When a "hero" levelup they gain 3 atributes to spend as they wish for.
stats gives following:
Speed (agi) = incresses how early you will start each "turn" and also incressing mana maximum, alternativ gives additionally bonus damage for some skills.
Power (str) = incressed physical damage. +10hp (all units start with 1 in str int agi and have 90 hp as base)
Intelligens* (int) = incresses Magical damage, Additionally damage for normal attack for spell casters.
*= haven't found a fitting name for it yet, but thinknig about naming it ability power.

Should Range normal attacks deal lesser daamge than melee, since they are ranged? Also sohuld spellcasters normal attack be based on int instand of str since they benefits more of int than str?

Should Int give something more than incressed damage for spells?

P.S
ahhh... maybe should have made a better topic name as: "[TBS Based map:] Looking for opinions and ideas." or something like that.

canons200

Reaction score
since it is turn base, do melee take time go to front and perform attack?

in my point of view, i not recommend range deals less damage than melee but rather that range has low hp, and low armor as compared to melee

Sartan

Reaction score
since it is turn base, do melee take time go to front and perform attack?

in my point of view, i not recommend range deals less damage than melee but rather that range has low hp, and low armor as compared to melee

no, all normal attacks are instantly used and will automatic end turn.

Ah and for the armor view,

here is a following up question:

Should i be using diffrent knid of armor types and damage reduction, or should i stick with the originally idea that items that is calssed as armor sohuld jsut add hp instand?

Ty for fast reply and your opinion :)

canons200

Reaction score
of course, if you want your map to be more flexible, variable armor type is a must.

i think, armor should add only armor(if not why call armor?), except certain special armor can provide HP bonus or attack bonus, such as boss-drop-only-armor

as to increase HP, maybe you can make it as accessory item.

Sartan

Reaction score
think i made misstake to not write out the idea of my map :p

My map will be based on 1 "arena" that is baiscly a squar with is split into 9 areas.

The game is based on Free for all (atleast from now and on unil the first version is relised)

Every palyer can chose x heroes to use of all diffrent classes.
After A hero die, it respawns, the game "ends" after x min.
Befor it start and after it ends, befor the next "round" you will be able to buy items, and also by special events, for an example it spawns a rare treasure in the middle of the arena, you can get special items.
The best player in diffrent areas will reseve a "gift" as a reward, for example the player with most damage dealt, the player with most helath recovered, the palyer with most death etc etc.

so there will be no bosses to fight against :p

Now to the point. How much Damage reduction should be the max? should for an example range attack deal more damage to heavy armored heroes and etc etc?

canons200

Reaction score
i think more or less, 150% damage (should be the max, the more, the more unbalance it will be) increase to certain armor type but 75%(75% seem low but actually it is a very good damage reduction) damage received from certain damage type.

so the range will be 75% to 150%, but of course, you also can make certain hero attack type 100% to all type of armor and vice verse as to the armor received from damage type.

example
Pierce damage
deal 150% damage to small armor
deal 100% damage to medium armor
deal 75% damage to heavy armor

Sartan

Reaction score
i will need to think about the armor "setup".
since i only got 3 diffrent types of attack, sohuld i just be using 3 armor types?

canons200

Reaction score
since you have no boss monster, yes, using 3 attack type and 3 armor type should be enough for all the hero.

Pantat

Reaction score
Emmm.. What bout making an ability to kill a unit instanly.. Cus I like pawning in a short time in tbs game.. Hahaha.. My suggest is don't make a turn with a long time.. Or maybe decrease mana of unit every second so ppl will try to move faster!! Ahahahaha..

Sartan

Reaction score
thats more a thing that you can edit after you have a version that you can play without buggs, will skip to my old trigger for now.

thx for trying though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.